Main Menu

Airsickness?

Started by MacGruff, December 15, 2013, 12:09:38 AM

MacGruff

On a recent flight, I got violently airsick. Now, I usually have no issues in the air so this was quite startling.

Anyone have any suggestions on one of two topics:

1.   What might have caused this?
2.   What do you suggest in advance of future flights to control it?

The mission was flown in 20 MPH winds with gusts of 15 MPH at an altitude of 2000- 2200 ft. (which was about 500 AGL). Route search with a stopover at a local small airport for lunch. The plan was to do a creeping line search afterwards, but myself and the MP were getting queasy before we landed so we cancelled the line search...

:(   :-\

a2capt

Looking down, lack of hands on? On the most rotten days, I've felt a teeny bit of it when getting tossed around after a while. Kind of like riding in a stretcher being carried by people walking "up and down/side to side", without a feeling of "solidness" underneath.

Could have been a combination of uniqueness to that day, perhaps related to the meal composition.

JeffDG

I've found that getting my eyes forward on the horizon helps.

The airsickness is, essentially, caused by a disagreement about movement between your eyes and your middle-ear, so looking forward will help get your eyes synced with your ears.

Most important thing is to stow your pride about it...tell the pilot immediately that it's starting to hit you!  There is nothing worse than cleaning up when you wait too long!

PHall

Quote from: JeffDG on December 15, 2013, 01:28:22 AM
I've found that getting my eyes forward on the horizon helps.

The airsickness is, essentially, caused by a disagreement about movement between your eyes and your middle-ear, so looking forward will help get your eyes synced with your ears.

Most important thing is to stow your pride about it...tell the pilot immediately that it's starting to hit you!  There is nothing worse than cleaning up when you wait too long!

Yes, fixing your eyes on a non-moving horizon will help a lot.  Saltine crackers seem to help most people too.

Cliff_Chambliss

Have you had a cold or bout of the flu recently?  Many times airsickness can be brought on by a problem with the inner ear.  So a recent illness or head cold can leave an otherwise unnoticed inner ear problem for several days or a week or two after apparent recovery.  A mismatch between what the eyes are seeing and what the inner ear is sensing so the stomach rebels.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

jeders

I find that a hot cup of ginger tea before flights helps.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

An empty stomach is usually one cause or factor.

As mentioned, your physical motion not matching your visual perception of motion another.

"That Others May Zoom"

Huey Driver

I'd say lack of hands on activity is a big factor. On a recent CAP flight lesson with my CAP CFI, I had a passenger in the back, who had just finished his O-Flight. He was perfectly fine during his time up front, but once he was in the back and we hit some moderate chop, his breakfast was all over the back.... Didn't even make the bag or hat.

I also find that I'm liable to feel worse when riding along than actually piloting.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Brad

I'm fine as long as I'm not hot. If the cold air vent is shot and it's summertime, I know I'm not going to do well.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Peeka

Quote from: JerseyCadet on December 15, 2013, 02:49:42 AM
I'd say lack of hands on activity is a big factor. On a recent CAP flight lesson with my CAP CFI, I had a passenger in the back, who had just finished his O-Flight. He was perfectly fine during his time up front, but once he was in the back and we hit some moderate chop, his breakfast was all over the back.... Didn't even make the bag or hat.

I also find that I'm liable to feel worse when riding along than actually piloting.

Being farther away from the center gravity (i.e. being in the back seat) probably had something to do with that.

vento

The only time I got really sick was on a mission during a hot summer day where a lot of pictures was requested. I was flying in the right front seat and was looking thru the viewfinder of CAWG standard issued Nikon DSLR camera. The lesson I learned was to look thru the camera only when necessary, you will be amazed how much damage to the brain that little viewfinder can cause.

SarDragon

I take ginger candy or ginger gum with me. If it doesn't really work, it's a great placebo.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

I love flying.  I used to tend to get airsick. Crappy dichotomy.

First several months I was a crew chief on Chinooks, I blew chunks about every other time I flew. It got to the point where my FE asked if I needed to go to the flight surgeon.

It took me awhile to get my "sea legs" because riding in the  back was a sure way to get sick quick. Between the trim of the aircraft,  the tendency for the pilots to " fly the nose " which results in the aft section of the aircraft just doing whatever,  the heater baking us out in the back, it didn't take long to overheat, get scrambled and hurl.

My tricks to avoid getting sick in GA planes:
- avoid going heads-down for long periods.
- aerial recon photos, use the view finder sparingly.
- dress for success. Layer over your flight suit,  not under.  Accept being a little cold outside the plane to avoid overheating in flight.
- eat something. (My go to meal was a turkey sub with a small milk.  It was the least objectionable when it revisited. ....seriously)
- be sure you can see the horizon when you need to.
- avoid too many adult beverages the night before.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Cliff_Chambliss

Bananas. Not that they stay down easier but they taste the same coming up as they do going down.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

SJFedor

Quote from: MacGruff on December 15, 2013, 12:09:38 AM
On a recent flight, I got violently airsick. Now, I usually have no issues in the air so this was quite startling.

The mission was flown in 20 MPH winds with gusts of 15 MPH at an altitude of 2000- 2200 ft. (which was about 500 AGL). Route search with a stopover at a local small airport for lunch. The plan was to do a creeping line search afterwards, but myself and the MP were getting queasy before we landed so we cancelled the line search...

First step? Climb, and tell your pilot to re-read CAPR 60-1, 2-2(2)e:
QuoteSustained flight below an altitude or lateral distance from any object of 1,000 ft during the day or 2,000 ft at night is prohibited except for take-off and landing or in compliance with air traffic control (ATC) procedures (such as IFR flight). At no time will the pilot allow the aircraft to come within 500 feet of terrain or obstructions unless taking off or landing.

Doing an entire route search at 500 AGL definitely qualifies as "sustained flight".

In all seriousness, being that close to the ground is gonna kick your butt, especially on a windy day like you described.

Don't eat fatty, greasy foods before the flight. I've heard from lots of people that ginger root tablets work very well. And if you're a non-pilot, you can consider visiting your PCP and requesting a script for ODT zofran. It's non-sedating, works wonders, but still not approved by the FAA for pilots. 

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Eclipse

WOW!  The whole route at 500 AGL?!  I missed that.  Worse still on a gusty day.  You're lucky you didn't go through a drive through somewhere.

Sounds like an MP needs some re-training.

"That Others May Zoom"

MacGruff

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I followed most of what you were suggesting - well, not the bananas part! - and went out this weekend to get the generic equivalent of Bonine.

UH60guy

Open a vent, get some wind on your face. The sudden cold helps, and to me the wind in my face can sometimes give my body another cue of the direction of movement, and help all my senses sync back up.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

cap235629

Quote from: SJFedor on December 15, 2013, 05:34:43 PM
Quote from: MacGruff on December 15, 2013, 12:09:38 AM

First step? Climb, and tell your pilot to re-read CAPR 60-1, 2-2(2)e:
QuoteSustained flight below an altitude or lateral distance from any object of 1,000 ft during the day or 2,000 ft at night is prohibited except for take-off and landing or in compliance with air traffic control (ATC) procedures (such as IFR flight). At no time will the pilot allow the aircraft to come within 500 feet of terrain or obstructions unless taking off or landing.

Doing an entire route search at 500 AGL definitely qualifies as "sustained flight".

In all seriousness, being that close to the ground is gonna kick your butt, especially on a windy day like you described.

I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed the 500' AGL
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

JeffDG

Quote from: cap235629 on December 16, 2013, 06:35:51 PM
I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed the 500' AGL
I missed it...saw the 2,000-2,200 feet and that registered as altitude in my mind