CAP orders twelve new Cessna Skylanes

Started by disamuel, April 19, 2010, 10:40:44 PM

EMT-83

So after I get mine, that leaves 11 for everyone else.   :)

vmstan

One for me, one for you, two for me, one for you...
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

FastAttack

Quote from: EMT-83 on April 20, 2010, 12:05:04 AM
So after I get mine, that leaves 11 for everyone else.   :)
wouldn't be surprised that some of them stay in Florida .. especially Col. Moersch doing the shaking! :)

PhotogPilot

Nice pic under the headline. Now, which one is the Skylane, the twin engine jet or the Light Sport Aircraft?

CadetProgramGuy

Nick

Quote from: PhotogPilot on April 20, 2010, 03:38:20 AM

Nice pic under the headline. Now, which one is the Skylane, the twin engine jet or the Light Sport Aircraft?
Ya know... 162... 182... they're close, right?
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

a2capt

Heh, from that angle, that 162 looks like the taildragger models of yesteryear..

A few pixels added to the 6, it's got Glass .. no one will realize .. ;-)

SarDragon

Shouldn't you be in bed, or doing corrosion control on an antenna, or something?  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Well...

I am doing corrosion control. I'm waiting for Drano to "mature" in the drain .. and I'm building aircraft in the garage.

... (Flying dog houses.. and lawn mowers)

Bayareaflyer 44

Are we adding to the fleet, or are we finally retiring the older airframes?  Every time I read about how we are purchasing new aircraft, I see the fleet number of 550 aircraft holding steady.

Earhart #2546
GRW     #3418

a2capt

550 is the cap for CAP aircraft. They trickle down new ones and push out the oldest or costliest ones that don't fit in with the current thinking scheme.

It's been said that AKWG comes up in "rotation" for a new aircraft, they point towards the lower 48 and say "give it to them, and give us the best one it replaces".. I wonder how 'true' this really is.

davidsinn

Quote from: a2capt on April 20, 2010, 03:56:15 PM
550 is the cap for CAP aircraft. They trickle down new ones and push out the oldest or costliest ones that don't fit in with the current thinking scheme.

It's been said that AKWG comes up in "rotation" for a new aircraft, they point towards the lower 48 and say "give it to them, and give us the best one it replaces".. I wonder how 'true' this really is.

Are we looking for a replacement for the Beavers? I would think they are getting pretty old now and we just lost one last year.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

bosshawk

I happen to know that the older planes are being sold.  CAWG has had three or four sold in the last several years and we now have been told that one of the 182s is just waiting until its engine reaches TBO(Time Between Overhaul) to be sold.  The airframe on that one has about 7000 hours on it, so CAP has determined that it is uneconomical to replace the engine.  I think that our count on glass 182 is either five or six.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Mustang

I wish they'd start buying more 206s. The glass 182s have just gotten too heavy to have much useful load, especially the turbos.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

DG

Quote from: Mustang on May 13, 2010, 10:14:02 AM
I wish they'd start buying more 206s. The glass 182s have just gotten too heavy to have much useful load, especially the turbos.

N206CP

Mustang

Yeah, and...?  That was purchased 5 years ago, and appears to be an isolated event.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

PHall

Quote from: bosshawk on April 20, 2010, 11:25:44 PM
I happen to know that the older planes are being sold.  CAWG has had three or four sold in the last several years and we now have been told that one of the 182s is just waiting until its engine reaches TBO(Time Between Overhaul) to be sold.  The airframe on that one has about 7000 hours on it, so CAP has determined that it is uneconomical to replace the engine.  I think that our count on glass 182 is either five or six.

One of those former CAWG aircraft is now at the March ARB Aero Club still in the "new" CAP paint scheme.

bosshawk

N96658?  One of those that I mentioned had been sold.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Mustang

The Hill Aero Club owns one in the "new" livery, too.