Generic name for CAP members?

Started by RiverAux, November 15, 2008, 03:46:30 AM

JAFO78

Quote from: DC on November 15, 2008, 11:35:25 PM
How about: Air Auxie....

Yes, I am kidding.

DC, sounds like vacation time is nearing.  ;D BUT not soon enough.
JAFO

KyCAP

Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

JAFO78

Quote from: KyCAP on November 16, 2008, 12:57:07 PM
Flying Minutemen

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0LIY/is_5_90/ai_96695799

That's fine of us guys, But what about the w..

(sudden smack on back of head from wife,)

oh sorry my bad.
JAFO

Nathan

Rangers?

(Oh, there would certainly, somehow, be more than 360 degrees of flak coming in for that one... ;D)
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

flyerthom

Quote from: Pumbaa on November 15, 2008, 09:39:23 PM
I think we should be called...

ATM's

That's the way CAP HQ treats us!  Like their very own cash machine!

Diet coke through the nose and on the laptop screen!

Cap Member works fine for me.
TC

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

winterg

(In my best Beavis impression)  "Huh huh huh, you said member."

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on November 15, 2008, 04:32:29 AM
Folks, I'm asking a serious question ....

I agree, lets be serious about this.

I've always favored the "Citizen Airman" moniker.  It defines us for what we are, one foot in Military tradition (thus "Airmen"), however, almost a minuteman like quality (thus "Citizen")

But for a short catchy punch...hummmm....  don't think any fit.  The others are all pretty "natural."  Based on semantics and years of tradition.  For us to have to think so long and disagree on this means there is no "natural" nickname ready on our plate.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JAFO78

Quote from: Major Carrales on November 16, 2008, 11:33:55 PM

I've always favored the "Citizen Airman" moniker.  It defines us for what we are, one foot in Military tradition (thus "Airmen"), however, almost a minuteman like quality (thus "Citizen")

But for a short catchy punch...hummmm....  don't think any fit.  The others are all pretty "natural."  Based on semantics and years of tradition.  For us to have to think so long and disagree on this means there is no "natural" nickname ready on our plate.

I think the Major is right, has nice ring to it.
JAFO

Pylon

Though it's catchy, it sounds suspiciously like something the Air National Guard already uses.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

PHall

Quote from: Pylon on November 17, 2008, 12:20:36 AM

Though it's catchy, it sounds suspiciously like something the Air National Guard already uses.

I believe the Air Force Reserve already has dibbs on the "Citizen Airman" name.

Citizen Airman is the name of the Air Force Reserve's magazine.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

winterg

One of the questions we would have to look at is how do we want people to see us?  Is it the CAP that trains cadets and turns out future leaders?  The CAP that focuses on aerospace?  The CAP that is responsible for so much Emergency Service volunteer work in our country?  What term would encompas all of them? 

BuckeyeDEJ

Our people are airmen, just volunteers.

If Airmen are, well, Airmen*...

... and reservists/ANG members are Citizen Airmen...

... does that make us Volunteer Airmen?

In any event, we're all airmen.

* Yes, the Air Force demands that it's capitalized.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Auxpilot

Can't think of a nickname, but I have a motto:

"Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"

We would even have a song that we could play when we walk into the room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvP0uwl3Q6A

Major Lord

Given our often politically correct, non-combatant, frequently bed-wetting posture, I suggest "Persons of Air" We don't want to offend women, gay, lesbian, transgender, bromosexual, alternative lifestyle, methodists, amway sales people, etc., so something really neutral would be super. Of course, member is always fine in a pinch.....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

RRLE

After reading this thread I just cannot get that old tune

QuoteInto the air Junior Birdmen

out of my head.

Seriously, on other forums when I discuss the USCG Aux and CAP I use Auxie and CAPer.

SarDragon

Something that has always irritated me is the use of cap (as a spoken word, AKA hat) instead of spelling it out C A P. CAPer just doesn't make it. UGH!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

notaNCO forever

Quote from: SarDragon on November 18, 2008, 02:04:43 AM
Something that has always irritated me is the use of cap (as a spoken word, AKA hat) instead of spelling it out C A P. CAPer just doesn't make it. UGH!

I hate that to drives me crazy especially when it's someone with higher grade then me and I can't say  anything.

afgeo4

I really like Volunteer Airmen.

It works well as part of Air Force's Total Force concept.

Airmen, Citizen Airmen and Volunteer Airmen
GEORGE LURYE