Generic name for CAP members?

Started by RiverAux, November 15, 2008, 03:46:30 AM

RiverAux

Four of the five military services have well-established unofficial names to describe the members of their service: Army=soldier, Marine Corps=Marine, Air Force = airmen, Navy=sailor as do some civilian professions (all policemen are cops).  Such nicknames have developed on their own over the years rather than being something that was thought of all at once. 

The Coast Guard is sort of bucking that trend and now seems to be promoting the use of the term "Guardian" in what I believe is a misguided attempt to try to take advantage of a recent movie. 

Heck, even the Coast Guard Auxiliary has a sort of unofficial nickname for its members ("Auxies"). 

So, has anyone ever heard of a similar generic term to describe all CAP members? If not, lets hear some suggestions....

CAPLAW

JAFO78

I can't say without getting in trouble with Mike for using bad words on the internet.

::)

8)
JAFO

RiverAux

Folks, I'm asking a serious question ....

SarDragon

You asked: "So, has anyone ever heard of a similar generic term to describe all CAP members? "

To which I answer: "No."

I then ask: "Do we really need one? Why?"
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Seeing as how the USAF's "well established un-offical names" is actually offical....and routinely ignored your opening statement is inaccurate.

But to answer your question, I don't see what is wrong with "member".
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JAFO78

Quote from: RiverAux on November 15, 2008, 04:32:29 AM

None that I can recall. Sorry about my earlier answer. Lack of sleep & caffeine.
JAFO

pixelwonk

If this is a serious question, you need to go and play outside more.

jeders

I've always used airmen, we are the Air Force auxiliary afterall. Although we could always do a play on Tedda's sig and go with chairmen ;D
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

CAPTShaw

Quote from: tedda on November 15, 2008, 02:26:04 PM

If this is a serious question, you need to go and play outside more.

How can this be serious coming from someone with an avatar like yours?  All in fun!
Capt David Shaw, CAP SQ 606
Founder
Greene County Composite Squadron 606 (12JAN17)

JayT

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

winterg

I've always used CAPer.  While on AD in the Air Force I only ever heard the term Airmen used in a negative way:  "[bleep] [bleep] airman! What the [bleep] do you think you're doing?!?!

JoeTomasone

The only times I have ever heard someone use such a term was a few AD USAF personnel who referred to us as "CAP members" or "CAP" as an organization.    Works for me.

shorning

winterg

Pumbaa

I think we should be called...

ATM's

That's the way CAP HQ treats us!  Like their very own cash machine!

DC

I have heard the term "CAPers" used before, actually at one point the FLWG newsletter was called "Gator CAPers"...

I have always used the term CAP Members.

Cadets are Cadets, no other name needed there....

Bob Loblaw Law Blog

Cadets are Cadets, CAPpers are CAPpers. Airmen are members of the USAF. I don't think being a CAPper makes one an Airman, people have to go through BMT to be called that.

DC

How about: Air Auxie....

Yes, I am kidding.

Pumbaa

How about "Civil Air Patrol Member"?

JAFO78

Quote from: DC on November 15, 2008, 11:35:25 PM
How about: Air Auxie....

Yes, I am kidding.

DC, sounds like vacation time is nearing.  ;D BUT not soon enough.
JAFO

KyCAP

Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

JAFO78

Quote from: KyCAP on November 16, 2008, 12:57:07 PM
Flying Minutemen

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0LIY/is_5_90/ai_96695799

That's fine of us guys, But what about the w..

(sudden smack on back of head from wife,)

oh sorry my bad.
JAFO

Nathan

Rangers?

(Oh, there would certainly, somehow, be more than 360 degrees of flak coming in for that one... ;D)
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

flyerthom

Quote from: Pumbaa on November 15, 2008, 09:39:23 PM
I think we should be called...

ATM's

That's the way CAP HQ treats us!  Like their very own cash machine!

Diet coke through the nose and on the laptop screen!

Cap Member works fine for me.
TC

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

winterg

(In my best Beavis impression)  "Huh huh huh, you said member."

Major Carrales

I agree, lets be serious about this.

I've always favored the "Citizen Airman" moniker.  It defines us for what we are, one foot in Military tradition (thus "Airmen"), however, almost a minuteman like quality (thus "Citizen")

But for a short catchy punch...hummmm....  don't think any fit.  The others are all pretty "natural."  Based on semantics and years of tradition.  For us to have to think so long and disagree on this means there is no "natural" nickname ready on our plate.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JAFO78

Quote from: Major Carrales on November 16, 2008, 11:33:55 PM

I've always favored the "Citizen Airman" moniker.  It defines us for what we are, one foot in Military tradition (thus "Airmen"), however, almost a minuteman like quality (thus "Citizen")

But for a short catchy punch...hummmm....  don't think any fit.  The others are all pretty "natural."  Based on semantics and years of tradition.  For us to have to think so long and disagree on this means there is no "natural" nickname ready on our plate.

I think the Major is right, has nice ring to it.
JAFO

Pylon

Though it's catchy, it sounds suspiciously like something the Air National Guard already uses.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

PHall

Quote from: Pylon on November 17, 2008, 12:20:36 AM

Though it's catchy, it sounds suspiciously like something the Air National Guard already uses.

I believe the Air Force Reserve already has dibbs on the "Citizen Airman" name.

Citizen Airman is the name of the Air Force Reserve's magazine.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

winterg

One of the questions we would have to look at is how do we want people to see us?  Is it the CAP that trains cadets and turns out future leaders?  The CAP that focuses on aerospace?  The CAP that is responsible for so much Emergency Service volunteer work in our country?  What term would encompas all of them? 

BuckeyeDEJ

Our people are airmen, just volunteers.

If Airmen are, well, Airmen*...

... and reservists/ANG members are Citizen Airmen...

... does that make us Volunteer Airmen?

In any event, we're all airmen.

* Yes, the Air Force demands that it's capitalized.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Auxpilot

Can't think of a nickname, but I have a motto:

"Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"

We would even have a song that we could play when we walk into the room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvP0uwl3Q6A

Major Lord

Given our often politically correct, non-combatant, frequently bed-wetting posture, I suggest "Persons of Air" We don't want to offend women, gay, lesbian, transgender, bromosexual, alternative lifestyle, methodists, amway sales people, etc., so something really neutral would be super. Of course, member is always fine in a pinch.....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

RRLE

After reading this thread I just cannot get that old tune

QuoteInto the air Junior Birdmen

out of my head.

Seriously, on other forums when I discuss the USCG Aux and CAP I use Auxie and CAPer.

SarDragon

Something that has always irritated me is the use of cap (as a spoken word, AKA hat) instead of spelling it out C A P. CAPer just doesn't make it. UGH!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

notaNCO forever

Quote from: SarDragon on November 18, 2008, 02:04:43 AM
Something that has always irritated me is the use of cap (as a spoken word, AKA hat) instead of spelling it out C A P. CAPer just doesn't make it. UGH!

I hate that to drives me crazy especially when it's someone with higher grade then me and I can't say  anything.

afgeo4

I really like Volunteer Airmen.

It works well as part of Air Force's Total Force concept.

Airmen, Citizen Airmen and Volunteer Airmen
GEORGE LURYE

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: afgeo4 on November 18, 2008, 05:48:13 AM

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all night. Try the veal.

Oh, and those royalty checks? Send them to....

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Eclipse

Quote from: NCO forever on November 18, 2008, 03:09:33 AM

I hate that to drives me crazy especially when it's someone with higher grade then me and I can't say  anything.

Of course you can say something, as long as you are polite and professional.  Grade doesn't make people "right", especially in CAP.

We're the C.A.P. not "CAP".

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quote from: afgeo4 on November 18, 2008, 05:48:13 AM

Well, that sort of works as a descriptive name for marketing purposes, but isn't really what I was shooting for.  No one in the AFR is going around telling people they're "citizen airmen". 

Rob Sherlin

If people want to use the term "Airmen" but "Citizen Airmen" is allready taken, why not use "Civil Airmen"
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

BuckeyeDEJ

I'd like to think we're all civil. I'd hate to work alongside Hostile Airmen.

Rob Sherlin

I was just thinking in terms of the name Civil Air Patrol. Of course we're civil. We're not the Hostile Air Patrol (for some reason, I get an image of a Cessna armed with missles....haha ha)
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

BillB

The Cessna L-19 WAS armed with rockets for target marking
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

afgeo4

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on November 19, 2008, 02:34:33 AM
I'll second that. That's why I worked in AMC, not ACC. Those fighter pilots get hostile often.
GEORGE LURYE

winterg

Quote from: Eclipse on November 19, 2008, 12:27:50 AM
Quote from: NCO forever on November 18, 2008, 03:09:33 AM
Of course you can say something, as long as you are polite and professional.  Grade doesn't make people "right", especially in CAP.  We're the C.A.P. not "CAP".

I use "CAP" and "CAPer" all the time and will, more than likely, continue using this verbage.  I heard it bandied about by Senior Members when I was kaydet and use the term myself today. LOL

winterg

flyerthom

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on November 19, 2008, 03:00:30 AM
I was just thinking in terms of the name Civil Air Patrol. Of course we're civil. We're not the Hostile Air Patrol (for some reason, I get an image of a Cessna armed with missles....haha ha)

Saw  a picture of a guy who painted a length of septic drain pipe black. Slipped it over a length of regular black pipe so it looked like a .30 Browning barrel. He then duct taped it to the wing of his 172. Caption - "STC? I don't need no stinkin STC!"
TC

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: afgeo4 on November 19, 2008, 04:14:25 AM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on November 19, 2008, 02:34:33 AM
I'll second that. That's why I worked in AMC, not ACC. Those fighter pilots get hostile often.

Bob Loblaw Law Blog

Quote from: Dictionary.comair⋅man
   /ˈɛərmən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [air-muhn] Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -men.
1.    an aviator.
2.    U.S. Air Force. an enlisted person of one of the three lowest ranks (airman basic, airman, airman first class).
3.    a member of a military aircrew.
4.    (in other countries) an enlisted person in the air force.
Origin:
1870–75, for an earlier sense; air 1 + -man, on the model of seaman

Those of you that are in the USAF, Active, Guard, or Reserve are Airmen. Those of you that fly, according to this, could be airmen but "pilot" seems a little better fitting. People that are solely C.A.P. Members are not part of the Armed Forces and are not  required to fight wars on this country's behalf. Search and Rescue missions, scouting out domestic areas, and whatever else aren't military actions. Member, CAPper, Cadet, Volunteer, Auxie, Auxilarist, and a few others fit just fine. Members of state militias aren't Marines or Soldiers, they're militiamen. They are different from anything that they might be connected to. It's not the same and their name reflects that difference.

LtCol057

Funny, but I was reading the Army Times tonight and this issue has come up with the Army Reserves too.  Some of the reservists don't like the word "reservists". They want to be called Reserve Soldier.   

But I have to agree on one thing. I hate hearing it called CAP (like the headgear). It's C.A.P. 

I had an instructor at the Police Academy that said he hated to be called a cop. He said he'd almost rather be called a pig than a cop. He felt the word "cop" was demeaning.  I told him if "cop" was the worst thing he was called, he was lucky. I got called worse than that by my own family.

Cecil DP

Quote from: LtCol057 on November 20, 2008, 04:30:14 AM
Funny, but I was reading the Army Times tonight and this issue has come up with the Army Reserves too.  Some of the reservists don't like the word "reservists". They want to be called Reserve Soldier.   

The Navy got rid of Navy Reserve several years ago. The proper term now is "Reserve of the Navy"
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

SarDragon

Quote from: Cecil DP on November 20, 2008, 04:38:43 AM
Quote from: LtCol057 on November 20, 2008, 04:30:14 AM

The Navy got rid of Navy Reserve several years ago. The proper term now is "Reserve of the Navy"

That's funny - here's the official site, and I see no mention of that terminology. I still have an outside association through former shipmates of my sweetie, and none of them have mentioned any such thing. Where did you hear it?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret