Main Menu

Supply Inventory

Started by SSgt Rudin, March 20, 2008, 05:24:05 AM

SSgt Rudin

Does anyone use a computer program to track uniform item inventory? I have been looking at software that is barcode capable, but it runs about $120+. I know SIMS was created by a CAP member and it accepts barcode. I wish I knew how to make a functional Access database with all the bells and whistles, but I don't and don't know where to start. I plan on just using the computer we run SIMS on since basically all it is used for is sign in and then just sits there. If anyone knows someone who has created a database like this it would be appreciated if you could either pass their contact information to me or mine to them.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

SarDragon

Look in the sample databases that come with Access. There are more free templates on the M$ site, too.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mynetdude

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on March 20, 2008, 05:24:05 AM
Does anyone use a computer program to track uniform item inventory? I have been looking at software that is barcode capable, but it runs about $120+. I know SIMS was created by a CAP member and it accepts barcode. I wish I knew how to make a functional Access database with all the bells and whistles, but I don't and don't know where to start. I plan on just using the computer we run SIMS on since basically all it is used for is sign in and then just sits there. If anyone knows someone who has created a database like this it would be appreciated if you could either pass their contact information to me or mine to them.

We had a guy who was implementing a barcode system using a symbol scanner. His problem was that without extensive knowledge it was difficult to get the scanner to translate certain information when it was being copied between the scanner and the PC with MS Access so certain data would get "lost" even though it was still there just in the incorrect location and upon transfer you had to manually correct this data.

We even had a wireless barcode hub that could connect to our existing computer network structure via the multitudes of hubs we have throughout the building.  After removing some 150 DoD property he decided it was no longer needed and removed it from the squadron as it belonged to him anyhow and TBH with you, MSAccess is alittle confusing to use though it works GREAT for a lot of things.

I would rather use Excel as I know it alittle better, but not good enough to create forms and such.  I know that Excel can be used with barcode data/equipment as well.

Personally I would rather just slap a barcode on a piece of equipment/clothing enter the data required scan it and tell it what it is and voila you now have a piece of property accounted for and then when you scan it again you can do the following: Issue, Dispose, Expend, etc.

Right now the system I use works for our squadron, no need to spend any money.

SSgt Rudin

OK so I downloaded Access 2007, used a sample template that had everything I was looking for except barcode. I guess it will work until I can figure out how to had the barcode feature.  ???
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

mynetdude

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on March 20, 2008, 08:38:36 AM
OK so I downloaded Access 2007, used a sample template that had everything I was looking for except barcode. I guess it will work until I can figure out how to had the barcode feature.  ???

I don't think Access will "accept" barcodes itself you need a barcode scanner, obviously.  A software on either on the barcode scanner itself or on the PC (and possibly both) that can convert the scanned barcode into proper usable data for Access to read.

Access will only accept tabled data in in cells or "fields".  I know that the Symbol scanners we had were also usable as a PDA in a limited form so the database software we had ON it could "talk" to MS Access and you could import data from the scanner's software and like I was saying before not all of the data will copy over to MS Access or the other way because those features or options may not be available with that configuration or particular software installed on the scanner.

IF NHQ would come up with a barcode scanner system for CAP's use we probably would not need MS Access, this software could potentially link up with CATS for equipment stuff and possibly with the NTSC for S-8/communications.  As far as uniforms, they are tracked on the F111 and "disappear" after 12 months of being issued.

Do you have a barcode scanner and printer system already?

davidsinn

I've got an Access database that I use. I could strip out all the data for my unit and give it to you. I've set it up so you can drag and drop certain tables from capwatch so you can populate certain fields(units, personal, etc) I can try and post it Monday as I will be out of town all weekend.

Sorry but it does not do bar codes at this time.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: mynetdude on March 20, 2008, 08:59:03 AM

We have a barcode scanner we use for sign-in, a laser printer and blank labels.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

mynetdude

Quote from: davidsinn on March 20, 2008, 04:17:04 PM
I've got an Access database that I use. I could strip out all the data for my unit and give it to you. I've set it up so you can drag and drop certain tables from capwatch so you can populate certain fields(units, personal, etc) I can try and post it Monday as I will be out of town all weekend.

Sorry but it does not do bar codes at this time.

This is how our unit's MS Access got started, through CAPWATCH. Our former Personnel/IT/LG guy started this whole thing for us 5 years ago, he even attempted to try importing barcode scanned data into the MS Access DB as I was explaining before.

MS Access does not accept scanner barcodes nor does it accept the scanned data directly. You will need to use a sync software and/or converter and figure out a way to drag/drop.

We no longer use CAPWATCH because what has happened is anytime we wanted to import certain data the CAPWATCH data would overwrite our existing custom data we implemented already so we don't use CAPWATCH.

mynetdude

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on March 20, 2008, 06:46:35 PM
Quote from: mynetdude on March 20, 2008, 08:59:03 AM

We have a barcode scanner we use for sign-in, a laser printer and blank labels.

You use a barcode scanner for sign in? How? I'm interested in that concept.

Eeyore

I'm guessing they just scan the barcode on the ID cards, which is linked to a computer system. Instead of signing in on a sheet, they keep on the records in a computer program. Am I correct?

mikeylikey

Barcodes are so 1990's!   :D
What's up monkeys?

Walkman

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 20, 2008, 08:40:09 PM

That's right! We installed an iris scanner on the door so that when you walk into the door it automatically updates the attendance records.   ;D

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: edmo1 on March 20, 2008, 08:36:18 PM
I'm guessing they just scan the barcode on the ID cards, which is linked to a computer system. Instead of signing in on a sheet, they keep on the records in a computer program. Am I correct?

^^
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

mynetdude

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on March 20, 2008, 09:47:54 PM

^^

And what do you do if they don't have one on them that night? I could see the benefit of using barcodes on the ID cards for a lot of things other than just meeting attendance.

Lt Rudin can you PM me details on how this is setup and what kind of barcode scanner you use and how you track all this?

Pylon

Quote from: mynetdude on March 20, 2008, 10:02:33 PMAnd what do you do if they don't have one on them that night? I could see the benefit of using barcodes on the ID cards for a lot of things other than just meeting attendance.

Lt Rudin can you PM me details on how this is setup and what kind of barcode scanner you use and how you track all this?

SIMS allows direct input from a barcode scanner into the meeting/activity attendance function.  Scan a members barcode (which is simply their CAPID #) and it marks them as in attendance.  If a member doesn't have their card, one can still manually check them as being in attendance.  Having everyone scan their membership card, however, is a great way to encourage members to always bring their cards and to check who, in fact, has one with them that day.

If cadets know they have to scan their membership card when they check into the meeting, they're much more likely to remember to bring it every time.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SJFedor

Quote from: mynetdude on March 20, 2008, 10:02:33 PM

^^

And what do you do if they don't have one on them that night? I could see the benefit of using barcodes on the ID cards for a lot of things other than just meeting attendance.

You send their butt home to get it. They should ALWAYS have their card on them while in uniform.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

CASH172

Just how much of an investment would a barcode scanner be financially? 

SJFedor

They look pretty cheap on ebay. I'm seeing "Buy it Now" options for scanners for $12.99

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

RickFranz

What are you trying to keep tract of with the bar codes?  The items on your S3 report? Or just other equipment?
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: mynetdude on March 20, 2008, 10:02:33 PM

^^

We use SIMS, we use a basic hand held scanner that beeps when it reads good. I looks cheep and probably was.

Quote from: RickFranz on March 21, 2008, 02:46:21 AM
What are you trying to keep tract of with the bar codes?  The items on your S3 report? Or just other equipment?

Uniforms and associated accessories.

Quote from: CASH172 on March 21, 2008, 01:01:12 AM
Just how much of an investment would a barcode scanner be financially?

You can get the scanner pretty cheep, the software however may not be, comparatively. But you could probably get a scanner with software for under $50.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

mynetdude

Well what about use with the WMU? We don't use SIMS or if we even can?

I'm really interested in using a barcode/scanner system if its really cheap to get one.. as one mentioned $12 so I would say $20-$30 shipped.

brasda91

Very interesting.  I can't get SIMS to install on my unit laptop.  I have just looked at a few of the scanners on e-bay and one mentioned it would work with Excel.  I'm guessing I would have to create a spreadsheet for all the items I would track?

What about the "bar code generating" software?  Anybody have a suggestion on a program that could be picked up locally, like at Circuit City or Best Buy?

I like this idea, but have very little knowledge of how to get it off the ground.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

mynetdude

Quote from: brasda91 on March 21, 2008, 04:28:19 PM
Very interesting.  I can't get SIMS to install on my unit laptop.  I have just looked at a few of the scanners on e-bay and one mentioned it would work with Excel.  I'm guessing I would have to create a spreadsheet for all the items I would track?

What about the "bar code generating" software?  Anybody have a suggestion on a program that could be picked up locally, like at Circuit City or Best Buy?

I like this idea, but have very little knowledge of how to get it off the ground.

You can import the data that you get from the barcode to anything that will receive that type of data.  The question is which is better? Excel or MS Access? I suppose that depends on what you want to do, however it seems like Excel and Access can almost do the same thing to a degree.

SSgt Rudin

Log on to e-services go to where you print your 101 card from and you can download a barcode font. It works just fine, I have tested it multiple times using the barcode reader we have. Just remember what ever you want it to read has to star and end with a *, for example item number 8675309 would have to be typed as *8675309* and then change the font to "Free 3 of 9" (barcode)
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

mynetdude

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on March 21, 2008, 05:39:38 PM

Log on to e-services go to where you print your 101 card from and you can download a barcode font. It works just fine, I have tested it multiple times using the barcode reader we have. Just remember what ever you want it to read has to star and end with a *, for example item number 8675309 would have to be typed as *8675309* and then change the font to "Free 3 of 9" (barcode)

Why do that if you can just use the barcode from your membership card? So are the barcodes on the 101 card and your membership card the same?  If so that could be a decent way to check into missions as well except I don't see how the IMU2 could accept data from a barcode reader.

Once again, for meeting sign in/check in it is useless unless you have SIMS it appears, as WMU does not use have that functionality and I don't know if I can use SIMS if we are not a SIMS state.

arajca

SIMS is a unit level program, not wing level. SIMS = Squadron Information Management System.

Using a barcode scanner is easy in SIMS for attendance. Install the scanner and software. Open the "Meeting Attendance" section and "Allow CAPID entry" Make sure no one clicks out of the CAPID field and you'll be golden. SIMS will treat the scanner input (and display it) as if you typed it from the keyboard.

The scanner software will translate the barcode into a number which gets fed into SIMS or whatever application you are using. As far the application is concerned, it's the same as using the keyboard.

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: mynetdude on March 21, 2008, 05:46:57 PM
Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on March 21, 2008, 05:39:38 PM

Why do that if you can just use the barcode from your membership card? So are the barcodes on the 101 card and your membership card the same?  If so that could be a decent way to check into missions as well except I don't see how the IMU2 could accept data from a barcode reader.

Once again, for meeting sign in/check in it is useless unless you have SIMS it appears, as WMU does not use have that functionality and I don't know if I can use SIMS if we are not a SIMS state.

Because he asked about barcode generating software. And yes the barcode on your 101 is the same as your ID card as long you are using "Free 3 of 9" font.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

SarDragon

Remember folks, if there's no picture, it's a Membership Card, not an ID card.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mynetdude

Quote from: SarDragon on March 22, 2008, 12:37:44 AM
Remember folks, if there's no picture, it's a Membership Card, not an ID card.

Good point, I don't know if the CAP ID card even has a barcode but your picture.

Ok so what is the point of using SIMS if it is just for squadron use? I would still have to use the WMU for attendance then.  Would I be allowed to use SIMS because I don't know anyone in ORWG even using it.

RiverAux

Quote from: Walkman on March 20, 2008, 09:43:31 PM

That's right! We installed an iris scanner on the door so that when you walk into the door it automatically updates the attendance records.   ;D
We've chipped all our members with RFID.  Just run them by the reader at the Wal Mart and we've got them checked in....

Gunner C

Quote from: Walkman on March 20, 2008, 09:43:31 PM

Problem is it won't penetrate a mission pilot's raybans.  And you know they won't take those off!  ;D

"Is it cool in here or is it just me?" - Overheard in a conversation between two SAR pilots.

RickFranz

"SIMS is a unit level program, not wing level. SIMS = Squadron Information Management System."

I would agree it was set up as a squadron tool, but I have down loaded it for the Wing, of course there is only 500 or so of us.  But it seems to work just fine.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

mynetdude

Quote from: RickFranz on March 22, 2008, 01:34:57 PM
"SIMS is a unit level program, not wing level. SIMS = Squadron Information Management System."

I would agree it was set up as a squadron tool, but I have down loaded it for the Wing, of course there is only 500 or so of us.  But it seems to work just fine.

I realize what it is, but the question would be: can I use it even though our squadron has never used it or AFAIK any squadron in my wing uses it?

SarDragon

Quote from: mynetdude on March 23, 2008, 02:11:52 AM

I realize what it is, but the question would be: can I use it even though our squadron has never used it or AFAIK any squadron in my wing uses it?

If you want to use it, download it and go for it. It's a supplement for the paper records you keep.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mynetdude

Quote from: SarDragon on March 23, 2008, 07:43:35 AM
Quote from: mynetdude on March 23, 2008, 02:11:52 AM

If you want to use it, download it and go for it. It's a supplement for the paper records you keep.

So it is not a replacement, where can I get it? at the NHQ/eServices website?

IceNine

If you want to integrate the barcode with the access database try to find an access template that is used as what they call a POS (point of sale) system.

the POS is what you see at grocery stores, walmart etc. They will have integrated barcode capability

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Tim Medeiros

http://www.squadroncommand.com  just click on Downloads then select the full download for the version of MS Access that you have
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

mynetdude

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on March 23, 2008, 05:17:39 PM
http://www.squadroncommand.com  just click on Downloads then select the full download for the version of MS Access that you have

Thank you much Tim :) Wonder if they will make SIMS available for MS Access 2007? I see they only have up to 2003.

Tim Medeiros

Your welcome, hopefully they will.  I'm also hoping they build something into eServices but that dream is pretty far off for now.
1577/2811

mynetdude

Tim FYI...

Sorry about being off topic in the first place I know we're supposed to be talking about using barcodes for supply inventory and got a few drifts then we got heavily on SIMS.

So I hope to steer this back on course by saying some offtopic stuff...

I noticed SIMS is available ON the WMU itself, today I was working with another officer to create instruction manuals on how to perform certain tasks as a DP (Personnel Officer) as I am the DP for the squadron and we need to have these materials in place should I disappear for some reason or something happens to me and people want to know how to do things.

Anyway... since SIMS is built into the WMU... I am curious how all that works and whether the downloadable SIMS software can integrate with the WMU? I know you mentioned that it does not work with eServices yet or if there are plans to?

Does the current downloadable SIMS system work with CAPWATCH? Or the WMU at all?  I ask because if connecting to WMU is possible, there is a good chance this will be a huge boost to squadron productivity with barcodes and barcode scanners and such and whether or not I can just use the SIMS built into the WMU itself to pull barcoded data from something somehow.

Slim

Couple of comments.

I'm using SIMS with Access 2007 with no issues.  Just make sure you save it in compatibility mode for 97-03, and you'll be fine.

SIMS is integrated with CAPWATCH.  As long as you have permissions for CAPWATCH downloads, you can populate your database that way.  I download CAPWATCH and update SIMS monthly for new members and any changes that might have posted.

I haven't even messed around with WMU, SIMS alone does everything I need.  Though I am going to switch over to the on-line promotion tracking app through eServices eventually.

BTW, on my last SUI, I was told that using SIMS in place of paper records was acceptable.  But I have double redundant backups (flash drive and desktop at home), and maintain paper records anyway.

Slim

mynetdude

Quote from: Slim on March 24, 2008, 03:47:32 AM
Couple of comments.

I'm using SIMS with Access 2007 with no issues.  Just make sure you save it in compatibility mode for 97-03, and you'll be fine.

SIMS is integrated with CAPWATCH.  As long as you have permissions for CAPWATCH downloads, you can populate your database that way.  I download CAPWATCH and update SIMS monthly for new members and any changes that might have posted.

I haven't even messed around with WMU, SIMS alone does everything I need.  Though I am going to switch over to the on-line promotion tracking app through eServices eventually.

BTW, on my last SUI, I was told that using SIMS in place of paper records was acceptable.  But I have double redundant backups (flash drive and desktop at home), and maintain paper records anyway.

Well wouldn't promotions information appear in CAPWATCH after you input the promotions stuff in eServices via the promotions module?

The only reason we don't use CAPWATCH anymore is because we have a customized database with custom data included in the database and if I were to dump CAPWATCH data into our existing database then our custom data is lost although I could use CAPWATCH if I wanted.

Like I said there is SIMS in the WMU itself, so I don't know if this is the same SIMS that is downloadable.

Tim Medeiros

I haven't logged into the WMU lately but last I checked the SIMS functionality in it was only a fraction compared to the download.  I am not sure if the cadet promotion information is included in the download from eServices as it is a new application and thus uses new tables that were not originally available when they created the CAPWATCH download.  I will check this tomorrow after the update to eServices though and compare included tables with a CAPWATCH DownLoad from before the cadet promotion application was released.

As a side note, it may be beneficial to split this topic into a different thread so we don't derail this thread any longer but can keep the current thought process going.
1577/2811

mynetdude

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on March 24, 2008, 05:54:27 AM
I haven't logged into the WMU lately but last I checked the SIMS functionality in it was only a fraction compared to the download.  I am not sure if the cadet promotion information is included in the download from eServices as it is a new application and thus uses new tables that were not originally available when they created the CAPWATCH download.  I will check this tomorrow after the update to eServices though and compare included tables with a CAPWATCH DownLoad from before the cadet promotion application was released.

As a side note, it may be beneficial to split this topic into a different thread so we don't derail this thread any longer but can keep the current thought process going.

I realize we're still derailing but I still believe our ultimate goal is to barcode the process.  Heck, scan the member's ID so you can bring up his information instead of searching by name or asking for his CAPID if that person is present... I can think of lots of reasons to use barcoded processes in the procedures.