Main Menu

Lego Carrier

Started by ♠SARKID♠, January 10, 2008, 06:59:00 AM

smj58501

OK, so I have not played with these things since I was 11 or so. Obviously the kits have changed alot. Does anyone know... is this a kit, a special order-type deal, or did he scratch-build it?
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: smj58501 on January 11, 2008, 04:55:44 AM
OK, so I have not played with these things since I was 11 or so. Obviously the kits have changed alot. Does anyone know... is this a kit, a special order-type deal, or did he scratch-build it?

From scratch.  He was watching a documentary on carriers, got inspired, ran into the basement, dumped his legos on the floor, and had at it.

mikeylikey

^ Last time I did that, My mother beat the crap out of me for "making a huge mess".  Shortly afterward....the Lego's disappeared.

Remember the commercials  "Jack, Jack, He's a LEGO Maniac"

Ah to go back 12 years and enjoy those days all over again  8)
What's up monkeys?

Psicorp

Maybe he's one of those Admirals in the Nebraska Navy and did his part to add to the fleet  ;D
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

NIN

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 11, 2008, 06:03:29 AM
^ Last time I did that, My mother beat the crap out of me for "making a huge mess".  Shortly afterward....the Lego's disappeared.

Remember the commercials  "Jack, Jack, He's a LEGO Maniac"

Ah to go back 12 years and enjoy those days all over again  8)

Why did I just picture Frau Farbissina from Austin Powers, but instead of screeching "SCOTTT!" she's she's shouting "JAACKK!" 

Or something like that.  Weird.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Smokey

Ah to go back 12 years and enjoy those days all over again  ....

If I went back 12 years I'd still be in my 40's :)

But then again, my maturity level has difficulty even getting into my teens at times.

But that carrier is still awesome.  I remember when my son was about 11. He said he wanted to be president of Lego Company when he got older.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

SSgt Rudin

more pic's here http://[darn]coolpics.blogspot.com/2007/01/lego-aircraft-carrier.html including cut aways, and Star Wars Pilots walking the flight deck.

ok, language filter changed the URL, not cool.

and evidently the aicraft have working lights too
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

alamrcn

Is there really that much stuff on the deck of a carrier? I think I saw about 10 different fixed wing and rotery aircraft, along with all the support stuff.

I like the second to the last pic of the "checking for FOD" walk!

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

ThorntonOL

It's definately a good thing I still have LEGOs. now i want to get more.
I feel inspired.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

SarDragon

Quote from: alamrcn on January 18, 2008, 05:42:38 PM
Is there really that much stuff on the deck of a carrier? I think I saw about 10 different fixed wing and rotery aircraft, along with all the support stuff.

I like the second to the last pic of the "checking for FOD" walk!

-Ace

How did I miss this the first time around? I'm going to respond to several posts all at once.

Yes, there really is this much stuff on deck, although the deck load isn't exactly typical, in that the electric A-6s are missing. Everything looks pretty close, otherwise. I see five platforms - F/A-18, F-14, E-2, H-60, and S-3.

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 10, 2008, 05:50:01 PM
Oh....that doesn't look anything like the real carriers  >:D

Oh, really? And what is your knowledge base? Got any underway time on one? Or did I miss some sarcasm there? But then, again, why was any sarcasm even warranted?  :o

Quote from: MIKE on January 10, 2008, 10:47:30 PM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on January 10, 2008, 06:23:21 PM

Hey... It's Lego SARDragon!

Yeah, not too far off, except that I never worked on the flight deck.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RickFranz

Wow

Just went to the web page above the first picture.  He even has the lower decks in color and everything.

What a lot of work that was!
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

SarDragon

Any of you folks ever show up in Sunny Sandy Eggo, I can get you a free tour of the USS Midway, our local aircraft carrier museum.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mikeylikey

Quote from: SarDragon on July 01, 2008, 09:46:29 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on January 10, 2008, 05:50:01 PM
Oh....that doesn't look anything like the real carriers  >:D

Oh, really? And what is your knowledge base? Got any underway time on one? Or did I miss some sarcasm there? But then, again, why was any sarcasm even warranted?  :o

Yikes......easy there.  It was sarcasm, and it as allowed.  You want a fight....PM me so that I may help you out in regard to interacting with others.  And for the record, one does need to serve aboard an aircraft carrier to know about it.  Just like I don't need to meet a person, to know he is a JERK!!!   :-*
What's up monkeys?

MIKE

Mike Johnston