Survival training as a recruiting tool

Started by Walkman, March 22, 2012, 02:55:03 AM

Walkman

Michigan is a state with a high percentage of people doing outdoor oriented activities year round. I had an idea recently of developing a presentation on "How not to get lost & what to do if you are" and presenting that to local clubs and groups. I would gear it around "lessons learned" from missions and some of our basic ES training. I think it would at least help get our name in the community and strengthen relationship, and it seems we might find some good people to join.

I always think my ideas are great  8) , so what are your thoughts? Good idea? Can you think of any gotchas?

cadetesman

Even if it doesn't help with recruiting, it will strengthen the public image of your squadron, in my opinion.

Also, the only problem could be SAR minded people joining, because of SAR, and then complaining that there's not enough SAR.

The only thing I would amend is to make a point that CAP trains for these things, but may not use it all the time.

All in all, I like the idea.

rjfoxx

How's this for a gotcha:

"Get Lost!...we'll find you"   ??? ::)
Major Richard J Foxx, CAP
Health Service Officer - DEWG
IG Inspector - DEWG

Eagle

Quote from: rjfoxx on March 23, 2012, 03:09:37 PM
How's this for a gotcha:

"Get Lost!...we'll find you"   ??? ::)

Or....
"Support search and rescue! Get lost!"

:D
C/2dLt Thomas Bracker
Pell City Composite Squadron
Alpha Flight Commander

manfredvonrichthofen

I have told someone that before... That sounds really good, it would definitely make a better presence about your unit and CAP because it would let people know that you just aren't there to be bodies on a search, instead you actually know what you are doing.

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

MSgt Van

Sounds like a great idea to me. Might have to implement that around here!

Eagle

C/2dLt Thomas Bracker
Pell City Composite Squadron
Alpha Flight Commander

bflynn

Quote from: jeders on March 23, 2012, 03:55:55 PM

Jeders, am I the only one seeing the humor between this shirt and your tagline?

Are you suggesting we buy the shirt, then burn it?

Eclipse

Quote from: bflynn on March 23, 2012, 05:14:14 PMJeders, am I the only one seeing the humor between this shirt and your tagline?

Yes.  The shirt does not feature the "Triangle Thingie".

"That Others May Zoom"

bflynn

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

bflynn

Too close for me to tell.  The trade dress is way too close.

Walkman

If someone authorizes those shirts for missions, then this thread would once again follow the great CT tradition of devolving into a uniform discussion.  ;)

If I come up with something formal for this presentation, I'll share it with the group.

a2capt

manfredvonrichthofen

I have seen that sicker elsewhere, I busted with laughter the first time I saw it, absolutely priceless. And I believe it was when I was a cadet.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Floppies.
Just a few there, but probably 50,000 of them in this house.
..and a few more of those stickers.

If I re-rig the duplicator to feed a clay pigeon shooter I could fire floppies at zombies and survive. Throwing star floppies are sharp. :)

Between the amount of floppies, and 80's era computing equipment in this place, you'd swear the TV would be tuned into Reagan at the Brandenburg Gate telling off Mr. Gorbachev.