Little CAP blurb in Captain America movie

Started by Walkman, July 23, 2011, 03:08:35 AM

Walkman

At the ending credit for the new Captain America movie (my new favorite movie BTW), they use WWII era posters as graphics. During one sequence is shows segments of the old "Eyes of the Home Skies" poster, including a prominent shot of 3 yellow planes with the CAP seal on them. Kinda' cool!

O-Rex

Yeah, I caught that too, I thought it was cool.

Майор Хаткевич

Saw the movie today. The second poster shows the CAP Yellow Planes, and then quickly passes the "Civil Air Patrol", most seen, but briefly before the next image. I'm wondering who came up with the idea to put that poster second.

AdAstra

I'm still looking for an early Captain America issue (1943, I recall) that featured CAP.... So there is some precedence to include CAP.
Charles Wiest

Reno

Andrew Reno, FO, CAP
Professional Development Officer
120th Composite Squadron, ARWG

Hawk200

At the time CAP probably fell under the Office of Civilian Defense. There was a lot of community supporting the country, so posters like that seemed to be pretty common to the era.

For a list of most (probably not all) insignia, there's a good one here: http://www.antiqueweekend.com/x/airraidmanual/insignia.htm

Some cool stuff, and would probably make some good programs nowadays. Problem is that noone would likely be interested in them.

commando1

I went to go see the movie yesterday and really enjoyed it. As I was leaving a guy asked his buddy "What is the Civil Air Patrol poster for?" So I started talking to the guy about CAP. He was suprised it was still around. It was kinda cool getting a publicity blurb in a movie.  8)
Non Timebo Mala

Eclipse

Art of the Title has posted the full end-title sequence which includes the CAP poster near the 0:14 mark of the video below.
This is probably one of the most creative title sequences I've ever seen, and makes use of existing historical imagery in a really cool way.

I would be very curious to know the 1-2-3 that brought us to their attention.

The full sequence can be viewed here:
http://www.artofthetitle.com/2011/08/30/captain-america/

These images do not do the sequence justice, you really need to see it to appreciate it.  I haven't seen the movie yet, so this was a nice treat.

The CAP portion could be the kick-off for an awesome PSA or marketing campaign. 
"From where we started, to where we are, CAP is always there.  The eyes of the homeland skies." 

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

The poster with the cannons...I could have sworn the "original" had the USSR flag on it.

jeders

Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 01, 2011, 04:11:13 PM
The poster with the cannons...I could have sworn the "original" had the USSR flag on it.

And several others.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: jeders on September 01, 2011, 04:14:53 PM
And several others.

I wonder why...not like it's the cold war or something.

DakRadz

Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 01, 2011, 05:45:34 PM
And several others.

Wait, what? It's showing the USSR with USA and UK+others, saying "UNITED We Are Strong"

Whereas the Cold War was USSR vs. USA, not with it.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: DakRadz on September 01, 2011, 06:54:40 PM
And several others.

Wait, what? It's showing the USSR with USA and UK+others, saying "UNITED We Are Strong"

It's a WWII poster. USSR was an allied power in WWII.

davidsinn

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on September 01, 2011, 08:04:04 PM
Quote from: DakRadz on September 01, 2011, 06:54:40 PM
And several others.

It's a WWII poster. USSR was an allied power in WWII.

One of those: "The enemy of my enemy is my friend," deals. We made a deal with the devil there and paid for it for nearly 50 years.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Майор Хаткевич

Right. I'm just wondering why the poster was changed for the credits. Before the fall, I could understand, but today that is a pretty common poster in history books.

DakRadz

Ooops, disregard my post above.

I saw the poster jeders provided and thought that the entire discussion revolved around it. Now I see that the credits have an edited poster.

Copy, out.