Congratulations to the newly selected NHWG Commander, NIN!!

Started by HandsomeWalt_USMC, December 04, 2019, 03:02:35 AM

PHall

Quote from: NIN on December 06, 2019, 03:41:33 PM
Quote from: ProdigalJim on December 06, 2019, 03:44:23 AM
Congrats, brutha!

Now, about that GA-8...  >:D

The door is limited to 100kts in flight. Just saying.

Is there an STC for a roll up door? >:D

NIN

Quote from: PHall on December 06, 2019, 07:53:51 PM
Is there an STC for a roll up door? >:D

Nope.  100kts isn't a big deal. Only when the door is open.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

JohhnyD

GroundHawg

Well the good thing is that you probably never have to worry about swapping out your rank ever again, though a star(s) would be nice!

NIN

Quote from: GroundHawg on December 10, 2019, 12:25:02 PM
Well the good thing is that you probably never have to worry about swapping out your rank ever again, though a star(s) would be nice!

Owww, my wallet!
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

MSG Mac

Quote from: NIN on December 10, 2019, 12:32:33 PM
Quote from: GroundHawg on December 10, 2019, 12:25:02 PM

Owww, my wallet!

Use your NH income tax refund
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Shuman 14

Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

NIN

Everybody: thank you so much for the kind words. 38 years ago, C/AB Ninness looked at our then-Wing Commander (Col Paulson, as I recall) and never, ever did the thought cross my mind that I could even deign to believe I could be a wing commander, let alone actually become one.

The next 4 years will be an interesting time. I know when I wake up every morning that I have to earn our member's trust.  And every bit of that starts on Day 1 and doesn't end until Day 1,460.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Fester

Quote from: NIN on December 12, 2019, 04:08:46 PM
Everybody: thank you so much for the kind words. 38 years ago, C/AB Ninness looked at our then-Wing Commander (Col Paulson, as I recall) and never, ever did the thought cross my mind that I could even deign to believe I could be a wing commander, let alone actually become one.

The next 4 years will be an interesting time. I know when I wake up every morning that I have to earn our member's trust.  And every bit of that starts on Day 1 and doesn't end until Day 1,460.

Isn't the Wing King term 3 years?
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

PHall

Quote from: Fester on December 13, 2019, 05:22:41 AM
Quote from: NIN on December 12, 2019, 04:08:46 PM

3 years extendable to 4. And just about every wing commander has gone 4 years under the new rules so far.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on December 13, 2019, 05:45:39 AM

3 years extendable to 4.

4 years with a possible 1-year extension.
CAPR 20-1(I), Page 5: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R_020001I_2_Jan_13_ICL_17_Nov_15_IC_AF3D3687D1D1D.pdf

"b. Wing commanders are appointed by the region commanders and have command authority over all CAP units, and
members within their respective wings. Wing commanders shall serve a four-year term of office. The region commander
may grant an additional one-year term with the concurrence of the National Commander."

And just about every wing commander has gone 4 years under the new rules so far.

I would be willing to bet at least 50% of Wing CC's do not complete their full four years.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on December 13, 2019, 06:12:09 AM
I would be willing to bet at least 50% of Wing CC's do not complete their full four years.

I'd take that bet. The majority complete at least 90% of 4 years. (Sometimes for timing reasons you might have a wing king punch out at little early. Or moving up..)

Since the elimination of the probationary period, there is more incentive to keep a wing commander as opposed to arbitrarily deciding to jettison at day 364, which happened a lot.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

sardak

Gunsotsu

And some need to be removed for Core Values violations.

NIN

Quote from: sardak on December 13, 2019, 04:34:16 PM
We're on our sixth wing commander in 10 years.

Well, thats another issue and sometimes its due to a very small talent pool. And when the ONE guy who applied and was picked has a life change, *pow* bring in the next guy.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

It's a lot of reasons - some unfortunate, and many because of progression, life change, or simply "had enough",
but there's no way the majority do 4 years.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

When my boss got tapped to move up to SER/CC this fall, I apologized but (having been her Wing Vice/CC for a couple of years or more) I knew that my family health situation would not allow me the time needed to do the WG/CC job justice, declined to apply, and respectfully requested relief to focus on our situation. (I've told my members for 30 years: your faith, your family, and your job MUST come before CAP, to allow you to pivot off a strong base to serve CAP). Having seen the sheer amount of personal time and funds necessarily sacrificed to do a decent job - to do it the right way - I knew that it wasn't the right season.

With that experience behind me (and having served in five or so Group and Squadron commands in five Wings and three Regions, and on several Wing staffs) I am convinced that a good number of aspirant Wing Commanders have zero idea what they're getting themselves into. Perhaps the majority. Maybe it sinks in when they go to "charm school", and they start edging towards the door...

Command at Wing level is not (should not be) about power tripping, settling old scores, advancing pet projects and agendas, or preening with chicken insignia on your shoulders, or as a step to get stars. Yet, how many active duty military officers have we seen exhibit those same human frailties (many/constantly, to our sorrow).  If we manage to weed out the marginal candidates within six months before they can do real damage, I'm ok with that. I feel that a tighter vetting process, coupled with a backup/failure mode should a Wing (or Region!!!) fail to have any suitable candidates, is justifiable. Better yet - require candidates to serve at least a year as a Vice prior to selection (with exposure to all the fun of finance requirements, safety and mishap reviews, termination proceedings, SUI arbitration and Wing level IG inspections, etc.).

R/s
Spam

PS, not implying that NIN has any pet projects or anything. "All RIGHT, NH Wing, here's my War Plan against Canada... No longer shall they pre-vert our precious bodily fluids!  So, the Wing maintenance officer is at my command taking the permissive action links down on all our aircraft and we'll launch our sorties at 0800"!!!
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/almost-everything-in-dr-strangelove-was-true?verso=true

;D

NIN

I haven't told anybody about Wing Attack Plan R.

How did you know? The Canadian air defences all face the pole. They'll never see it coming
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

PHall

Quote from: Spam on December 13, 2019, 10:40:45 PM

PS, not implying that NIN has any pet projects or anything. "All RIGHT, NH Wing, here's my War Plan against Canada... No longer shall they pre-vert our precious bodily fluids!  So, the Wing maintenance officer is at my command taking the permissive action links down on all our aircraft and we'll launch our sorties at 0800"!!!
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/almost-everything-in-dr-strangelove-was-true?verso=true

;D

You don't want to know how true that article is. How we made it through the late 50's and early 60's, including the Cuban Missile Crisis without an "accidental" nuclear war is nothing short of a miracle.

Maybe Gary Seven had something to do with it...