Joe Biden AFA Commencement Address

Started by Smithsonia, May 27, 2009, 08:17:33 PM

Smithsonia

Look here:
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12459416
http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2009/05/ap_airforce_biden_commencement_052709/
It appears that Vice President Joe Biden wants the Air Force to do more. AND, as he put it, "do more than fight... think beyond the battle space." If that's the case, and the budget isn't cut to the bone, it could be good for us.

Combine this with President OBama's address at Nellis Air Force Base today. He delivered a major speech about "going green".  SO, either the Air Force has had a major upgrade in prominence or both legs pulled hard today.

Biden's challenging the AF to fight global warming and disease too. When I get the entire speech I'll download it in a follow up on this thread.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

notaNCO forever

Going green, I guess they will be switching back to the BDUs; because the ABUs are nowhere as green in color as them. ;D

biomed441

From my understanding, it seems they are having their legs pulled. Fact of the matter is, "going green" costs money. And when military budgets are being cut left and right, we have to ask what does Obama mean, or want, from a military orginization to go green.  Does that mean emission standards for AF vehicles? New fuel options. All the same stuff being pushed in the civilian markets, but now military has to abide by them?

Its hard to say whats going to come of this.  As far as "doing more" thats as ambiguous a statment as you can get. I guess we'll see what unfolds. I don't see it having much affect on CAP other than whatever these "green" measures are.

Smithsonia

There has long been a discussion that there should be a modern force dedicated to conflicts that are less than war. This discussion goes back to the fall of the Soviet Empire. Here's part of the YouTube presentation.
http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=naval%20war%20college%20&sa=N&tab=wv&um=1#

Here's some of the Presentations for the Air Force.
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/awc-futr.htm

I've seen 12 of these various proposals at the Naval War College, Air Force Academy, and Pentagon. All different ideas aligning the Marines and Red Cross (National Guard too). Mostly military think tank driven.

Don't blow it off if you've not seen the briefings. I'm not sure I've heard the exact right mix... but the ideas are buoyant, relevant, and ongoing.

The object is to make proposals that will fit the need of the military to execute in hostile but low level conflict areas - enforce humanitarian relief - minor counter insurgencies - security for refugees - etc. 

It's being studied. FEMA with bazookas is the satirical (but quick recall) model. However, there are good people working on this modification to military doctrine for good reasons.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Auxpilot

Seriously? Going green?

There is a crap storm brewing all over the world and Obama and crazy Uncle Joe Biden are telling the military to "go green."

Get a grip people before we have another 9/11 with nobdy watching the store!

What the heck are conflicts that are less than war? Sounds like little leauge today - "everybody wins".

Fight global warming? Yea with both afterburners shut down.

General Patton just rolled over in his grave.

Smithsonia

Auxpilot;
Conflicts that are less than war? Well take your pick. Katrina when they were actively shooting, Somali Pirates, North Korea at the moment, Every Foreign Hurricane, Relief Missions in Haiti, Columbia Counter Drug, Darfur, the Army/Navy Game, Mexican Border! Those are recent and just off the top of my head. But, it's your everyday garden variety gotta be there yesterday with everything to make it through tomorrow and by the way they may be shooting at you too.

The reason the Pentagon is fighting it -- they don't want to take orders from the United Nations - on a dirty deal -- then not paid back by the Governments of the United Nations, while the Spanish Superior Court hold war crimes trials for our servicemen.

That's why the political leaders want a self sustained rapid reaction team with the ability to
to take care of business and non-combatants too.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Polecat

Quote from: NCO forever on May 27, 2009, 09:45:14 PM
Going green, I guess they will be switching back to the BDUs; because the ABUs are nowhere as green in color as them. ;D

No, no, no. You have it all wrong! I think he is talking about those funky green boots.  :P

But seriously, I think this thread is heading for a lock.

jb512

Quote from: Polecat on May 28, 2009, 01:19:35 AM
Quote from: NCO forever on May 27, 2009, 09:45:14 PM

No, no, no. You have it all wrong! I think he is talking about those funky green boots.  :P

But seriously, I think this thread is heading for a lock.

Why, because it's political and might hurt someone's feelings?

Ok, yeah.  That's usually enough around here to get it shut down.