Presidential Medal of Freedom

Started by Ken, November 25, 2005, 04:13:05 AM

Major_Chuck

I found the list of names of people who had been awarded the medal rather interesting.  Some names are like a who's who of modern history.  Other names I questioned.

Nancy Reagan?  Come on now.  I can see Ronnie (loved him in his best role of President) being awarded the medal.  But Nancy?  I wonder if her astrologer told her about it before hand.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

DNall

Guess that whole "just say no" campaign, DARE, & DDR none of that was important right?

Major_Chuck

Quote from: DNall on January 18, 2007, 02:52:48 AM
Guess that whole "just say no" campaign, DARE, & DDR none of that was important right?

She was involved with DARE and DDR?  Don't ever recall hearing about it.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

lordmonar

Quote from: CAP Safety Dude on January 18, 2007, 03:00:09 AM

Where were you in the 80's man!  She was no the TV every other night tell us teenagers "Just Say No!".

This was before DARE and about the same time DDR started IIRC.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

davedove

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 17, 2007, 10:27:16 PM
Quote from: Al Sayre on January 17, 2007, 10:23:10 PM
I'm willing to bet $5 that if someone who had an award like the PMOF made a stink to National about not being able to wear it, a change letter to 39-1 would be rapidly dispatched, and photos would be taken and published with that person, in uniform wearing the medal and shaking the hand of the National Commander

I think this is merely an oversight issue.  Look at the list of awarded ribbons/medals for US Customs, NASA, the CIA you name them.  It seems that these shoudl take precedence to CAP awards since they are federal service oriented.

Please, more comments...

Typically, federal civilian decorations come after military decorations and military unit awards, then before military service awards.  These are all before CAP awards.

CAP follows the Air Force practice for wearing military decorations.  The Air Force allows the wear of federal civilian decorations, but only if THEY ARE AWARDED FOR MILITARY SERVICE.  This is an interesting restriction, as very few civilian awards are given for military service; if you're in the military, you usually get military awards.  The Medal of Freedom has been givien to some military folks for their service (for instance, Colin Powell).
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Major_Chuck

Quote from: lordmonar on January 18, 2007, 05:51:59 AM
Quote from: CAP Safety Dude on January 18, 2007, 03:00:09 AM

Where were you in the 80's man!  She was no the TV every other night tell us teenagers "Just Say No!".

This was before DARE and about the same time DDR started IIRC.

Oh I know all about the "Just Say No!" stuff!  I wasn't totally listening to a Flock of Seagulls back then.  Like Totally 80's... (I digress though)...

I just never heard her being involved in DDR or DARE programs back then.  While commendable I just don't see what she did as First Lady as warranting the Presidential Medal of Freedom where Jerry Lewis has helped raise millions of dollars for MD.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

DNall

I'm pretty sure it's not a contest. How many people you think deserve a particular decoration over the people that get it? Decorations aren't completely for you, they're for the effect it has on others when they hear your story or see it being pinned on. So if the govt wanted to draw attention to the anti-drug campaign after it'd fissled for a while, then call in Nancy & strap a medal on her. That's the way it goes my friend.

The "Just Say No" thing was hers, DARE & DDR came out at the same time, but DARE was small for a long time. Really DDR was too until much more recently. Whole war on drugs, miami vice era.

Dragoon

Interestingly, the Army doesn't allow the wear of the Presidential Medal of freedom or its ribbon on the uniform, but they do allow those awarded it to wear a bit sash with a rosette at the hip with their mess dress.

Major Carrales

Major Carrales' 21st century method of ending the drug trade of marijuana.

1) Scientists develop a dominant strain of Marijuana where the effective agent in it is replaced with an inert one using genetic engineering.

2) Collect the pollen of these plants and crop dust North and South America and other likely places.  

3) In  five to ten years the problem of weed will be a thing of the past.

4) To prevent former pot heads from going up to something else.  Institute summary execution for dealers.

This is a very fascistic (maybe even Nazi, since it involve eugenics and brutality) method...but it would likely work
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

davedove

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 18, 2007, 06:08:51 PM
Major Carrales' 21st century method of ending the drug trade of marijuana.

1) Scientists develop a dominant strain of Marijuana where the effective agent in it is replaced with an inert one using genetic engineering.

2) Collect the pollen of these plants and crop dust North and South America and other likely places.  

3) In  five to ten years the problem of weed will be a thing of the past.

4) To prevent former pot heads from going up to something else.  Institute summary execution for dealers.

This is a very fascistic (maybe even Nazi, since it involve eugenics and brutality) method...but it would likely work

I read somewhere that it would actually be cheaper for the US to buy up the entire cocaine crop and destroy it than the expense incurred trying to keep it out of the country. :o
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Al Sayre

Back in the '70's, for a class, I once calculated that if you took the estimated amount of smuggled into and grown in the U.S., taxed it at the same rate as cigarettes, and sold it in liquor or drug stores, you could pay off the Gross National Debt in 2 years...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

lordmonar

It would be cheaper to stop trying to stop the trade and attack the demand side of the issue.

Dealers are not scared of a death sentence.  Buying up the supply will only make the illegal trade that much more lucrative...Supply and Demand.

For every demand you will always find a supplier.

The key is to cut off the demand.

In England they did a study of illegal drugs.

The premise of the study was that it was not the drug use itself that was bad but the related crime.  Users robbing 7-11's, prostitution etc...so they could get the money for their habit. In addition the crime related to the dealers over territory, supply and lots of cash hanging around.  And finally the dealers trying to increase their market share by getting more and younger people hooked.

What the government did was, found all the users in a particular area in London (IIRC).  Those that wanted to get off the drugs went to detox.  those that did not want off, were given perscriptions for their drug of choice, Heroine, Cocaine, Marijuana, what ever.

Because the users could buy the drugs at the pharmacists at medicinal rates (much cheaper than street rates by a factor of 10), the users could maintain their habit at a fraction of the costs. 

This resulted in them being less inclined to have to resort to crime to maintain their drug habit.  They could maintain their habit working regular jobs.

So we see our first reduction in crime right there.

Secondly, since the dealers no longer had any customers, they left the area to find more fertile grounds.  Taking their turf wars with them and removing the target of opprotunites for people after their cash and drug supply.

The cost of the program was minimal because the users were paying for it at government rates.

Another savings was that because the drugs from the pharmacy was the equivant of FDA approval and controlled, the number of accidental overdoses was greatly reduced making it safer for the users.

So...my thinking is.

If the government got into the drug trade and sold the drugs at cost plus a little extra to pay for drug demand reduction program.  We would cut the demand right out from under the illegal drug cartels.

This would eliminate a source of funds to terrorist organisations, overseas mafias, help reduced the drug related crimes all through out South America and Asia.

On the demand side of things.....you use users funds to pay for demand reduction programs and some very harsh punishments for crimes involving drugs (including alcohol).

The way to beat the drug lords is to use economics.  buy the supply cheaper than they can an sell it cheaper then they can.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Dragoon on January 18, 2007, 06:05:02 PM
Interestingly, the Army doesn't allow the wear of the Presidential Medal of freedom or its ribbon on the uniform, but they do allow those awarded it to wear a bit sash with a rosette at the hip with their mess dress.

That's because it's the 'With Military Distinction' degree of the PMoF.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Major_Chuck

To add to what Captain Harris just discussed (I know way off topic now), is to legalize marijuana.  Decriminalize the drug first for medicinal purposes.  There is a lot of debate in the medical community about this but I feel it has its advantages.

Medicinal Marijuana has been proven to aid in the comfort of those suffering from numerous dibilitating diseases including glaucoma and AIDS.  Cheaper alternatives to sky high 'legal' drugs will help to drive down the cost of prescription drugs.  Back to the supply and demand topic.

Do I advocate illegal drug use. Of course not.  Crack, heroin, meth, and so on are a far greater problem then marijuana.  Legalize marijuana and you cut down on the illegal smuggling of it.  We also reduce the number of people tossed in jail for possession. 

The next step.  Since Mary Jane would be legal you launch a campaign similiar to the stop smoking campaign and you educate people why they shouldn't smoke.

But then, this is way way way off topic.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

Major_Chuck

Quote from: weissksw on November 25, 2005, 04:13:05 AM
Has any CAP member ever won the Presidential Medal of Freedom?

I hate that term "won" a medal.  Makes it sound like a competition.  People are awarded medals. 
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

lordmonar

Quote from: CAP Safety Dude on January 19, 2007, 01:28:21 AM
Quote from: weissksw on November 25, 2005, 04:13:05 AM
Has any CAP member ever won the Presidential Medal of Freedom?

I hate that term "won" a medal.  Makes it sound like a competition.  People are awarded medals.

But "awarded" may mean that the person did not "earn" it either.

Semantic games are as bad as politics.