This is fairly refreshing...

Started by NIN, December 06, 2014, 09:45:35 PM

NIN

http://www.capmembers.com/national_commanders_update/

QuoteLast month, I made some observations regarding recruitment and retention. My main point related to new members and that it is extremely important not to ignore them. Making CAP more accessible is another critical factor in ensuring a viable and effective recruitment and retention program. 

One of the primary issues we have in CAP is the learning curve. It takes a lot of effort to get that initial qualification and a continuing effort to maintain it. There are two things that all of us can do to streamline that process – reduce the size of regulations and procedures and enhance skill development through mentoring.

On the regulation reduction effort, National Headquarters has already begun the process of reviewing and revising existing CAP regulations. That effort will take many years to complete, but at the end of it there will be a greatly reduced regulatory burden on members and more common sense procedures in place for getting the job done. However, national action alone can only go so far – the real secret to making CAP less complex is closer to home. 

Region and wing supplements, together with local OIs, need to be reviewed with streamlining in mind as well. While small requirements added onto existing ones may seem harmless, it is the aggregate collection of many small requirements that make regulations a burden. I challenge CAP leaders at all levels to streamline the procedures under their control to make it easier for members to do their job.

A related topic is mentoring, especially regarding new CAP skill development. In particular, the local standardization/evaluation officer (for pilot skills) and emergency services officer (mission skills) or their equivalents should be working directly with members to ensure they know what training they need and how to go about getting it. New members should not simply be directed to the CAP website to get all the answers on training. Some of the best squadrons we have are very aggressive in mentoring new members, which always results in a dynamic and growing unit that everyone wants to be a part of.

I hope everyone will have a great holiday season this year, and I look forward to a fantastic year ahead. 

Semper Vigilans!

Joseph R. Vazquez, Maj Gen, CAP

National Commander

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

MacGruff

I totally agree with these sentiments!

Somewhat puzzling to me, though, are the examples given of who should be mentoring the new members. I thought that the initial mentor is the Professional Development Officer who should be working with each new member to get them through Level 1 before they are assigned their first duty position??

???

lordmonar

Quote from: MacGruff on December 07, 2014, 12:30:17 AM

Somewhat puzzling to me, though, are the examples given of who should be mentoring the new members. I thought that the initial mentor is the Professional Development Officer who should be working with each new member to get them through Level 1 before they are assigned their first duty position??

???
Nope....it should be his supervisor in his first duty position...which should be mapped out...at least in general terms....as soon as the member decides to join.

The PD officer should be supporting all the mentors and tracking each members progression.....not doing all the mentoring himself.
Note....the PD officer may be one doing the summary conversations....or providing the training....but not the "mentoring"...that is leading by the hand the new member through all the hoops he needs to get through to get ready to take his position in the squadron.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

NC Hokie

Quote from: lordmonar on December 07, 2014, 12:41:01 AM

???
Nope....it should be his supervisor in his first duty position...which should be mapped out...at least in general terms....as soon as the member decides to join.

Maybe the good Maj Gen recognizes that most senior members join CAP to support our missions, not take on a staff position to help run CAP.  In that case, it makes sense to pair new members up with the stan/eval and ES officers.  I'd even go so far as to add the AEO and the CDC to that list as well.

Of course, if SM Bagodonuts REALLY joined CAP to push paper, off to the admin officer he goes!  ;)
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

lordmonar

Quote from: NC Hokie on December 07, 2014, 01:21:25 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on December 07, 2014, 12:41:01 AM

???

Maybe the good Maj Gen recognizes that most senior members join CAP to support our missions, not take on a staff position to help run CAP.  In that case, it makes sense to pair new members up with the stan/eval and ES officers.  I'd even go so far as to add the AEO and the CDC to that list as well.

Of course, if SM Bagodonuts REALLY joined CAP to push paper, off to the admin officer he goes!  ;)
Well he said to match the new member up with the right staff mentor.
If member X joins to fly ES missions.......don't give him to the PD officer....give him to Stan/Eval.  If he joins to do comm.....give him to comm.   If he joins to "support my son/daughter in CAP.  I'll do what ever I'm needed" (which is what most of my new members say) give him to someone who is going to take him through the process and right into OJT.

It is just common sense.   We don't send new airman fresh from tech school to the ALS instructors.....to get them all signed into base, and get all their initial training done....no we give him directly to his supervisor who is also his OJT instructor.  Even if we have a squadron training NCO who is monitoring and tracking his training....the actual training and mentoring is done by the direct supervisor.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP