Main Menu

NB Agenda

Started by arajca, February 23, 2007, 04:50:31 AM

arajca

The NB agenda is out. March 2007 National Board Agenda.

Some interesting stuff. New AFIADL testing procedure proposed. No new uniform items proposed (I know, doesn't mean much). CAP-USAF/CC as a non-voting member of the NB and NEC.

RiverAux

Interesting that they're revising the test control procedures for Air Force tests that can be taken by CAP officers.  I wonder why that may have come up?

Jeez, I can't believe they're talking about repealing the roof marking requirement entirely.  That is the best thing they've done for air-ground coordination in years.  At a minimum they should leave it as an option. 

DrDave

Re: the roof painting issue.

Being repealed because it doesn't work. 

No, not the visibility thing.  Because the paint has not been standardized and many different types have begun peeling and flaking immediately -- within weeks of being professionally painted on.

And the cost was not accurately determined before the law came down from above.  Initial thoughts were for just a few bucks for a couple spray cans when, in reality, it's costing $300-$500 a vehicle for the proper paint job (one time application, not the multiple repeat paintings that would be needed.  Plus no standardization on size of numbers, etc.

This has been a thorn in my side that I've been glad to get rid of.

Except, now I'm stuck with several CAP vehicles with peeling roof paint ...

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

DNall

If you'll notice the agenda, there's lots of non-concurs listed. I think you're going to see either nothing much get done on this or a lot of interesting things done on teh fly off in quiet corners.

Pylon

Quote from: DNall on February 23, 2007, 09:26:59 PM
If you'll notice the agenda, there's lots of non-concurs listed. I think you're going to see either nothing much get done on this or a lot of interesting things done on teh fly off in quiet corners.

Or a lot of surprise last-minute non-agenda items sprung on the board for approval.....
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

DNall

You know I don't know how much of that is ever sprung on the board members so much as sprung on the rest of us that didn't hear about it in conversation or see it on the agenda.

Major_Chuck

Maybe it is just me....I would have had about ten to fifteen vans in various parts of the country 'trialed' with different paints and weather conditions to see how the paint jobs would hold up.  $10 a van, I remember when that came out.  We all had a laugh over it at the squadron.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

LtCol White

What should have been done was to make an orange triangle decal with magnetic backing. Then it would not peel in weather. The decal would be cheap and sheets of magnet are also cheap and easily available. Basically, make a big refrigerator magnet for the tops of the vehicles.

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

DNall

cept there's big ole ribs on top of the vans as I recall & they wouldn't stick right. Just a good intention not thought thru.

mikeylikey1

I see the PAWG King wants to extend Wing and Region terms.  Guess he doesn't want to leave yet.  I thought this was addressed last year!  The issue with AFIADL is insane!  So add yet one more thing the general membership has to pay for. 

lordmonar

Of all the hair brained knee jerk reaction plans.....the AFDIL testing thing is just whached!

If only the state director can be the TCO he is going to be a very busy beaver indeed!  And passing off the testing to the bases is not the answer...they are undermanned and overworked as it is.  Even with most of the USAF tests being on computer now...they still only have test dates 2-3 times a week for USAF folks.

With CAP-USAF nonconcurring, this is already a dead issue.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DNall

If you read the non-concur statement on that one & the follow on statements, I think what you'll find is the knee jerk reaction going down in flames & tighter rules on your local TCO (two people have to be present).

Ned

Was anyone else offended by the part that says a single state director or reservist could proctor the tests, but it would require two CAP members?  (Who would then have to sign an affadavit attesting to the "integrity" of the testing.)

Sigh.

Maybe I should take it as a compliment that a CAP member might be considered at least half as honest as a reservist or corporate employee. ::)

Monty

Quote from: Ned on February 24, 2007, 01:39:46 PM
Was anyone else offended by the part that says a single state director or reservist could proctor the tests, but it would require two CAP members?  (Who would then have to sign an affadavit attesting to the "integrity" of the testing.)

Sigh.

Maybe I should take it as a compliment that a CAP member might be considered at least half as honest as a reservist or corporate employee. ::)

I thought it was more than "funky," but I wouldn't say that I was annoyed, per se.  I suppose this is just another "goofy-ism" where some GS-XX or hardkewl airman at some level felt that they had to protect the sanctity of their blessed tests (pause for angelic choral music here) and like holding the UCMJ over federal proctors.  They couldn't really do that with us (and it must be keeping them up at night.)

;D

Y'all wanna know a secret?  COPY/IMPLEMENT THIS EXAMPLE AT YOUR OWN RISK

-Young CAP Capt, circa 2000, calls up the nearest ANG facility.  "Hey, TSgt XXX, chitter chatter chitter chatter, oh and by the way, if I were to order a CAP test, could I take it with you at your installation?"  He said, "sure, makes no difference to me."

-Young whipper snapper orders the test with the ANG facility's shred code.  TSgt XXX calls him up, tells him his test is there, and that he can come in anytime to take it.  CAP Capt goes right down, takes the exam, and TSgt XXX sends everything back to AFIADL.

-Young CAP Capt gets his passing scorecard and sends a copy to NHQ, to his CAP squadron, and his Wing with a message saying something to the effect of "lookie here, I took this and passed it; thought you might like to know."

This was my master plan for AFIADL 13 and it worked in blitzkrieg-like time!  Start-to-finish was something like 45 days.   8)

No muss, no fuss....and no CAP part-timer bureaucracy or possible test compromise issues (well, it DID hack off Wing a little bit...I guess too much individualistic thinking would hack me off too in some cases.  Had to look out for Number 1, given that too many AFIADL 13 tests get lost in the blackholes of a lot of Wing HQs...)

Anyway, got the credit MUCH faster than doing it the sole-CAP way and there were more than sufficient proctor standards in TSgt XXX and his section.  If all your ducks are lined up just like mine were, and the moon is in the second house, this could work for you!  It's perfectly legitimate BUT...is dependent upon the installation on which you intend to take this test (specifically to the example, if TSgt XXX had told me to go pound sand, I'd have had to deal the CAPSOC exam through CAP per normal...a thought I didn't really wish to entertain...)

DNall

Well it's not exactly perfectly legitimate. It's fine you did it, but that young TSgt might be a bit busier if he had to administer exams for a bunch of CAP members. It's reasonable to think DoD can absorb that funtion considering how few active adult members we have, and that AFIADL13 is the only mandatory course.

Anyway, I wasn't terribly offended by 2-CAP member rule. This is CAP being pro-active to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt to AU that they're on the level. The AF natually is going to trust one of their officers or NCOs that can go to jail or ruin their career if they lie, they don't have that kind of sway over CAP members, which is too bad.

RiverAux

My impression was that they were worried about comprimising AF-specific tests like squadron officer school, Air War College, etc and probably not for CAP specific like Scanner or Observer or 13. 

DNall

well yeah, you pop that test open & sell it on the internet & that's gonna cost a lot of money to make a new one for the worldwide computer testing centers. Overall test integrity is the issue though. It doesn't particularly matter what test you're taking.

ZigZag911

Quote from: DNall on February 24, 2007, 06:50:39 AM
If you read the non-concur statement on that one & the follow on statements, I think what you'll find is the knee jerk reaction going down in flames & tighter rules on your local TCO (two people have to be present).

Actually that makes a Lot of sense, kind of like the 'two seniors present' rule with cadets....could get a little awkward with small squadron, might be an impetus to recruiting seniors!

MIKE

Waits for them to issue locks for "2 Officer Control" and "NO LONE ZONE" signs.

On my count: 3... 2... 1...
Mike Johnston

arajca

Quote from: MIKE on February 24, 2007, 05:47:24 PM

Issue?! They ain't gonna issue those. They'll require the units to purchase those from a designated manufacturer who will have them made in China for $0.50 and sell the to CAP units for $50.00 each and split the profit 70/30 with National (70% to the vendor).

DNall

;D :o ;D

You know in every unit I've been in the test drawer was double locked; bar thru whole cabinet that covers other drawers with Adult & Cadet Files, then top drawer for tests with another lock on it. Which would be fine if one person isn't admin/personnel/TCO, which is almost universally the case.

NIN

Quote from: arajca on February 24, 2007, 06:28:13 PM
Quote from: MIKE on February 24, 2007, 05:47:24 PM

Issue?! They ain't gonna issue those. They'll require the units to purchase those from a designated manufacturer who will have them made in China for $0.50 and sell the to CAP units for $50.00 each and split the profit 70/30 with National (70% to the vendor).

Great. Now we have to be PRP certified to crack the test open

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.