Main Menu

Being One with the USAF!

Started by Major Carrales, January 31, 2007, 01:08:08 AM

Major Carrales

In lieu of some discussions of a heavy nature, may I propose a POSITIVE thread where we discuss things that will truly make us one with the USAF.  By that, I do not mean having them accept us as a "new COMMAND" or "becoming part of the National Guard," but rather practices that we can do at the Squadron Level, and insight on what works best tactfully, to polish us up.

Here are my suggestions...

1) A segment in a Unit Newsletter outlining uniform wear.  It is done in response to problems seen, but allow a person to correct the effort "on their own."  A private conversation then to address the uniform error could follow.

2) Senior Member Drill and Ceremony- Once a month or so "form up" to insure that if this is ever called for everyone will know what to do.

3) I learned this from a Lt, an after meeting session at a local fast food place to debrief the meeting in an informal manner.

Add yours or alter mine...keep it positive. 

Major Carrales
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

SAR-EMT1

I think some of what you suggest has a place in the operation of Iowa's new plan.

I think everyone would agree that we need polished and that it MUST begin at the local level. How then does it move in a coordiated fashion?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

ZigZag911

Experienced staff officers (Wing/Group/nearby squadrons) mentoring individuals new to a specialty...

Group & Wing staff officers holding periodic sessions with their squadron counterparts for "continuing education" and exchange of methods, ideas, best practices

Major Carrales

Quote from: ZigZag911 on January 31, 2007, 01:53:18 AM
Experienced staff officers (Wing/Group/nearby squadrons) mentoring individuals new to a specialty...

Group & Wing staff officers holding periodic sessions with their squadron counterparts for "continuing education" and exchange of methods, ideas, best practices

Excellent, I ahve been a fan of this for a while now.  The upper most people in their craft move up and offer their skills to theunits.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

O-Rex

I think what Ely is trying to say is that "strategic plans" aside, there are everyday things that can be done to instill a sense of Air Force Culture & Sprit to our members. 

First & foremost: Learn the history of BOTH organizations.  Little tidbits go a long way: I had the pleasure of attending an Air Force Function as a CAP member, and when an impromptu chous of "Wild Blue Yonder" began, they were surprised that I knew ALL the words (here's a toast, to the most, to those who love the vastness of the sky...)   

Understand the mission of CAP and USAF, and be able to articulate them.  The general public will be curious, and AF presonnel will query you to see what you know (or don't know.)

Take at least one USAF PME correspondence course: it'll at least teach you to speak some of the Air Force "language"

Learn to lead in drill-While you'll probably never use it, the self-confidence in being able to lead a flight in drill carries over to other activities.  You can use cadets ad your "lab rats" (they'll be happy for the opportunity to practice.)  Don't be embarrassed when you make mistakes in the learning process: chances are, cadets will respect you for the honest effort you are making to master a facet of their world.

Know the parts of an airplane (you know, the funny flying machines that put the **Air** in Civil **Air** Patrol) and how it flies!!  No matter how many ribbons and bits of tinsel you wear, it's all for naught when you refer to a propeller and the "spinning thingie" or think that "Bernoulli's Principle" is a guy who runs an Italian high school.

Major Carrales

Quote from: O-Rex on January 31, 2007, 02:41:20 AM
I think what Ely is trying to say is that "strategic plans" aside, there are everyday things that can be done to instill a sense of Air Force Culture & Sprit to our members. 

First & foremost: Learn the history of BOTH organizations.  Little tidbits go a long way: I had the pleasure of attending an Air Force Function as a CAP member, and when an impromptu chous of "Wild Blue Yonder" began, they were surprised that I knew ALL the words (here's a toast, to the most, to those who love the vastness of the sky...)   

Understand the mission of CAP and USAF, and be able to articulate them.  The general public will be curious, and AF presonnel will query you to see what you know (or don't know.)

Take at least one USAF PME correspondence course: it'll at least teach you to speak some of the Air Force "language"

Learn to lead in drill-While you'll probably never use it, the self-confidence in being able to lead a flight in drill carries over to other activities.  You can use cadets ad your "lab rats" (they'll be happy for the opportunity to practice.)  Don't be embarrassed when you make mistakes in the learning process: chances are, cadets will respect you for the honest effort you are making to master a facet of their world.

Know the parts of an airplane (you know, the funny flying machines that put the **Air** in Civil **Air** Patrol) and how it flies!!  No matter how many ribbons and bits of tinsel you wear, it's all for naught when you refer to a propeller and the "spinning thingie" or think that "Bernoulli's Principle" is a guy who runs an Italian high school.

All movements in CAP must begin at the grassroots level.  For example, if we wanted a Professional Military, or Aerospace or the like movement to begin mandating it from National will meet all sorts of resistance...but if it were to begin at the squadron level where units would initiate such activities (like NCO programs, Drill, professional military protocol and the like) it could take root and then be "strung together" by Wings and eventually national.

I beleive that the Iowa model may be an example of that.

So, if we are to get it together, it migth be best to establish some guidelines that could be informally implemented at the unit level.  The Chief that posts here has materials that could be used.

It doesn't have to be painful, it doesn't have to be a course miles from home and costing hundreds of dollars, we can start with the expertise in our units and grow from there.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

aveighter

O-Rex makes an excellent post on the matter.

A story that bears repeating;

I too have had the pleasure of attending a number of AF functions while in uniform.  In the not to distant past I was at Vance AFB to participate in the various graduation ceremonies of the younger son.  At the formal dinner that evening we were in the receiving line to meet the dignitaries on hand including the General who would give the speech and present the class awards.  I looked magnificent (everything fit, no ooze, hair high and tight) and Mrs. aveighter was absolutely stunning.  The General and I shook hands and then he proceeded to ignore me while engaging the Mrs. in rapt conversation for several minutes (I took no offence, I've been looking at her for 25+ years and still can't take my eyes off of her).  I chatted with Mrs. General so all was not lost.

However, later in the evening while the General was making the rounds to all the tables he stopped for a time with me.  After congratulations on my sons class performance (#1 in academics, flying and commanders award) he asked what kind of uniform I was wearing as he didn't recognize it (there were a number of other service types there including a puddle pirate aviator).  Upon hearing that it was a CAP uniform he smiled and said "Oh yeah, you're the guys with that hyperspectral system, very interesting.  I had a briefing on that about a year ago."  A little more small talk and he was off to the next table.

We are part of the family and the team with a job to do.  But, a hundred good works are easily undone by one nimrod looking like crap with an attitude to match and the vocal presentation of a budding imbecile.  Hence the extreme desire on the part of many to get with a program (I think the Iowa guys are performing miracles in this regard, Major K's Florida proposal is another example) on par with any serious professional level operation.

If half the energy here was put to that task as is lost in the minute aspects of meaningless drivel that so much conversation devolves into, well just imagine the possibilities.

ddelaney103

Make it easier to do our jobs. 

If you know a sqdn position really well, come up with a job guide and task guide.  The CAP pub I miss the most is the Commander's Guide.

CAPNHQ has come up with a bunch of new tools on e-business.  However, they're probably not being used as well as they could be because people have no training.

If you have a database that tracks CP or PD progression for members, make sure people know and put it someplace where they can download it.  Make sure there are instructions for use.

Making the annoying but important tasks are easy to do will reduce burnout and free up time for mission related tasks.

Smokey

aveighter,

Just curious,   since the general didn't recognize your uniform....which one were you wearing???
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

aveighter

Mess Dress.  The boards and sleeve braid are different.  He initially thought it was an older style AF uniform (they were evidently like ours at one time) and didn't catch the fine print on the CAP crest that takes the place of one of the buttons on the jacket.  Besides, he was too busy chatting up Mrs. aveighter at the time to focus on me in all my finery.

At these various functions I have always felt welcome and been treated with nothing but respect, complete with all military courtesies as appropriate.  I do wonder, however, if the personnel I have come into contact have any experience with other CAP representatives.  I feel that it is therefore incumbent that the best possible appearance and presentation be put forward.  You never know who is watching or who it is that you meet that will at some point in the future have a decisive input into our operations or opportunities.

As any of the many here who have spent time (other than the occasional visit as an outsider) on a military reservation will attest, there is a sense of quiet strength, dedication and mission orientation and seriousness that pervades the facility and most of it's personnel.  I find it a most comforting environment and desperately hope we can develop some semblance of that within our own organization.  It does exist on a here and there basis but it's spotty. 

Remember, one buffoon coming into contact with a military officer or senior NCO or state/federal agency representative can set back the work of squadrons full of CAP professionals by light years.

Major Carrales

Quote from: aveighter on January 31, 2007, 10:02:49 PM
Mess Dress.  The boards and sleeve braid are different.  He initially thought it was an older style AF uniform (they were evidently like ours at one time) and didn't catch the fine print on the CAP crest that takes the place of one of the buttons on the jacket.  Besides, he was too busy chatting up Mrs. aveighter at the time to focus on me in all my finery.

At these various functions I have always felt welcome and been treated with nothing but respect, complete with all military courtesies as appropriate.  I do wonder, however, if the personnel I have come into contact have any experience with other CAP representatives.  I feel that it is therefore incumbent that the best possible appearance and presentation be put forward.  You never know who is watching or who it is that you meet that will at some point in the future have a decisive input into our operations or opportunities.

As any of the many here who have spent time (other than the occasional visit as an outsider) on a military reservation will attest, there is a sense of quiet strength, dedication and mission orientation and seriousness that pervades the facility and most of it's personnel.  I find it a most comforting environment and desperately hope we can develop some semblance of that within our own organization.  It does exist on a here and there basis but it's spotty. 

Remember, one buffoon coming into contact with a military officer or senior NCO or state/federal agency representative can set back the work of squadrons full of CAP professionals by light years.

Yes, I agree totally.  The image we get as a whole to wards the Armed Forces is totally ours to create or negate.

One's uniform, grooming, hygiene, posture and presentation should be beyond reproach on a US Federal installation be it any Branch of the Service or US agency.

Excellent story, care to write it out for me for our unit newsletter with appropriate editorial commentary?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

LtCol White

Another way of improving this is getting more involved in activities around the base for those who are fortunate enough to be near one. Whip your members into shape and start trying to help out at activities other than airshows. Show USAF you care and want to be a more integral part of their community around base.  Help out at base sporting events. When the base has family day, offer to help direct traffic, park cars, etc. If there is a carwash for MWR or another base agency, offer to help out (asking for nothing in return). Volunteer at the base hospital. Put together FOD teams that can help check the flightline and pick up debris.

Thru your CAP/USAF personnel, have them ask the base if there are ways CAP can help and contribute in some of the ways above or other areas the base is interested in. This is how we get closer to USAF and become more of the family. It WILL pay off in many ways after. I promise. I've done it many times at various bases. 

These are all very postive things
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

RiverAux

Ah, if only it were that easy.... take a look at the AF regulation governing how they can use CAP and how many hoops anybody in the AF has to jump through to "officially" use CAP for anything.  It is not a system designed to be used as you have suggested (though it should be). 

LtCol White

It is that easy. Never had a prob with it here. USAF was always quite welcoming about it. NHQ never had a prob with it
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

aveighter

Quote from: RiverAux on February 01, 2007, 03:23:18 PM
Ah, if only it were that easy.... take a look at the AF regulation governing how they can use CAP and how many hoops anybody in the AF has to jump through to "officially" use CAP for anything.  It is not a system designed to be used as you have suggested (though it should be). 

Gee whiz, here is a radical suggestion.  

Lt Col White was not merely proposing an idea that struck him on the head as he passed under the apple tree.  He was alluding to things he says he has actually done.  So now that we have examined AF regulations, hoops, systems and all the other reasons why this could not possible work, maybe (but only maybe) you could ask him how he actually did these seemingly impossible tasks.

They brew up some mighty tasty potions down there in LA.  Perhaps the good Colonel has whipped up some special Cajun "hoop jumping" elixir.  I'll bet he would share it too.  Just ask.

RiverAux

I know how he did them ... the AF people involved very likely didn't know the proper procedures in the first place.  No problem as long as everything went well, but if something happened to a CAP member while helping out, they would have very quickly been informed of where they went wrong. 

All it SHOULD take is a phone call from the CAP member to the AF base commander or other official or vice versa.  Unfortunately, that isn't the way it is. 

LtCol White

NO YOU DO NOT KNOW how we made it happen and don't presume to know it either. Unless you were involved, you DO NOT know. You should NEVER pick up the phone and contact the base commander. This is where you shoot yourself right off the bat! This is exactly why the probs exist. USE YOUR CAP/USAF liasion to work thru the base PAO. This is how it is SUPPOSED to work and DOES. USAF likes people who use proper channels and respect the COC. Show some respect. These are busy folks who are not just sitting around waiting for your call.

Most of the things I have suggested are VERY simple. If your SQ meets on a base or is close to one and regularly uses facilities there like MCCS, all u have to do is look around. Stop by the exchange mall. Look at the flyers and advertisements. Read the base newspaper. You will see announcements of car washes, sports events, whatever. Call the POC for the event. "Hey, were CAP here. I see you are having an event. We'd like to come out and help you. We're not asking anything in return" For events like this, there are no hoops to jump thru.  More official things like a family day, FOD detail, and hospital volunteering will require your CAP/USAF guy's help. But still the same premise. "You do a lot for us. We'd like to give something back to you and help out. We want to be a productive part of the base community."

Organize a FREE car wash on base. You'll have to work thru the proper channels on this one. Get your cadets and seniors involved on a weekend. Set up, make the flyers and ads, see about putting it in the base paper. You'll get a good response from the base personnel. If they offer money or tips, say "no thanks".  Make sure you have CAP Signage and membership brochures handy.

Troops are deployed, money is short. Needs are great. If the offer is something reasonable, the base will find a way to make it happen for you. The hoops disappear rather fast. NHQ has no prob with cadets and seniors being involved in the base community.

We have a tendency to always ask our bases for things. Tours, encampment, use of facilities, speakers, etc... but how often do we go to them and ask "How can we help you?"

I'm telling you, it really IS that simple. Once you build this relationship, watch the things happen that never happened before. Watch how many members you obtain. Unfortunately, CAP is a big secret to many of the USAF community who are looking for postive things to get their kids involved in. Also, the spouse of personnel might be looking for something to get involved in. It never hurts to have Col X's spouse as a member.

We have outstanding relationship with Barksdale AFB here. Our members were authorized to use the base gym facilities. USAF just remodelled and expanded the facilities used by the cadet squadron there. They gave them 6 computers and then sent in the IT folks to handle all the hook up and setup.  

It CAN be done...and with no cost! If you say it can't happen it never will. If you want to make it happen, it will. Just use the right channels based on what you are getting involved in. Remember, the goal is to help, not be a burden.

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

RiverAux

QuoteYou should NEVER pick up the phone and contact the base commander. This is where you shoot yourself right off the bat! This is exactly why the probs exist.
As things stand now you are correct and I did not suggest that this is what a CAP person should do now.  I said it is the way we SHOULD be able to do things.   When a CG Auxie wants to work with a CG unit he calls up the unit or drops by and goes from there (after talking about it with his local CG Aux officers).  That is why the CG Aux gets to do all sorts of stuff.  The extremely restricted ability of CAP to communicate with the AF is exactly why we don't get to do much now.   

QuoteUSE YOUR CAP/USAF liasion to work thru the base PAO.

You did the right thing as far as CAP is concerned by starting the right way as far as "official" CAP help, but according to AF regulation unless the PAO worked his way pretty far up the chain of command it was not done properly on the AF side of the house, at least according to the current regulation.  Please refer to AFI 10-2701 for what the AF should have done. 

DNall

Quote from: RiverAux on February 01, 2007, 03:23:18 PM
Dude, you really need to slow down on the regs. It doesn't work that way. You can & should do any amount of stuff for the AF w/o following that proceedure. The AFB/recruiter/whatever can even pay for you to park cars or watever from basically petty cash. The reg you're referring to gives the proceedure for AF to request outside CAP support for large scale operations with reimbursment & insurance coverage. It's not there as an impediment to normal low level interation & assistance.

I don't know what the situation is on all bases, but you won't be working thru your state director. You'll be working (formally) with whomever in the base chain of command is assigned the extra duty of liaising with you. Your state director will help you with that if it doesn't naturally work itself out, but it's going to be delegated to a lcoal issue unless the base just doesn't want to talk to you for some reason, and if that's the case you got bigger problems. Informally you'll deal with a lot of people working the angles for cross-support. Some good ideas there that help build good will, that pays off when you go looking for assistance, not to mention recruiting.

FYI- if we're talking national guard, the CCM or state level ANG cheif enlisted advisor is designated by NGB reg to be the lead POC for support of CAP. Unless someone higher takes an interest, we dealt with the AAG-Air in my situation.

RiverAux

QuoteThe reg you're referring to gives the proceedure for AF to request outside CAP support for large scale operations with reimbursment & insurance coverage. It's not there as an impediment to normal low level interation & assistance.
Please show me where it makes any such distinction.... It very clearly applies to all use of CAP by the Air Force.  I fully agree that it is set up primarily for more "traditional" missions, but there is no exceptions in it that I see. 

I wish it wasn't that way, but it is. It should allow AF or AF Reserve unit commanders to use CAP for augmentation or other purposes based on their own authority, but it doesn't.