Enlisted Basic Airman for New Adult Members

Started by JAFO78, January 14, 2007, 06:20:49 PM

Hawk200

Quote from: RobG on January 14, 2007, 06:43:24 PM
The kids start out as Cadet basic airman.

Kids are cadets, ....

We have goats in CAP now?

Guardrail

Quote from: shorning on January 15, 2007, 12:12:16 AM
Quote from: DNall on January 14, 2007, 11:56:09 PM

Sir, with respect, CAP is losing the majority of it's ES missions to tech advances

Which has absolutely nothing to do with revamping the senior program.  As of my last post, we weren't talking about ES.  ES is only part of what CAP does.  If we're going to "fix" the program, it has to cover all aspects of CAP, not just ES.

There are soooo many threads that interweave the same subjects, I don't think anyone has a clear picture what they are discussing any more.  I still don't think we've adequately define the problem if there is one.  To me it sounds like change for the sake of change (which we bash when NHQ seems to do it), or us trying to be the "Air Force" without actually being in the Air Force.  Everyone seems to make CAP into something it's not.  I ask, why?

<a href="http://plugin.smileycentral.com/http%253A%252F%252Fwww.smileycentral.com%252F%253Fpartner%253DZSzeb008%255FZNxdm824YYUS%2526i%253D10%252F10%255F3%255F7%2526feat%253Dprof/page.html" target="_blank">SmileyCentral.com" border="0

DNall

Quote from: RiverAux on January 15, 2007, 01:04:24 AM
Quotethe refusal to comply with NIMS
We're going to be.  Don't worry about this part. 
ICS 100-800, eventually, which is to NIMS as GES is to the current CAP system. That just qualifies you to be in the mission area. It doesn't mean you have a special skill that will get you called out. Being certified as having a special skill is resource typing. That's 3 levels of things like Wilderness Search &/or Rescue, which is as close as you get to GTM & it does require PFT. The dif levels define what scale of incident you can be used on. There are standards for UDF as well, and when the rules are fully applied here shortly it may very well be impossible fo CAP to turn of ELTs in a federally designated disaster zone because we don't meet the required training standards for it. Don't get me wrong, I think we will change & get in line, but it's going to be a drawn out process that's coming at exactly the worst possible moment as ELT/EPIRB tech changes. Puts us in a world of hurt all the way around.

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 15, 2007, 01:13:48 AM
Dennis:

It sounds like you have got a very clear vision of the proposed enlisted program for CAP.  It is much clearer than my vision of the future.  Perhaps the Atlantic fog has obscured my vision, but that clear Texas air gives you a great view.

Let me see if I can read by Braille, here.

New members have a choice:  Officer or enlisted.  Actually 3, they could come in as "Cadet Sponsor" enlisted, the Soccer Moms, and voluntarily limit themselves to SrA, but have very reduced (level 1/CPPT only, at the unit) training requirements.

Normal enlisted would have a period of orientation, basic training, perhaps a weekend or so, along with some home study.  Eventually they would select one of the yet-to-be-designated enlisted specialties, and get qualified in it.  Then they would advance through the NCO ranks as they progress in a yet-to-be-designed NCO development program, and gain experience.

Applicants with college and/or pilot's licenses would, at their option, attend OTS and receive officer rank.  They would then progress through a re-designed, more challenging PD program for their promotions.

Do I got it?
I don't know about clear air, you saw that chem leak at NALCO a mile from my house on national news a few days ago. Had to turn off the AC & shelter in place to avoid the airborne coorosive whatever the hell it was.

The program I put up says everyone joins at AIRMAN BASIC, does an enhanced lvl 1 that probably should include a one-wknd BMT. Slam AFIADL13 & SLS conent inside the six months with that - this is what Iowa is doing for OTS minus the ES & tech rating stuff. At the end of that six month program, they become Amn. That is the earliest point at whcih they can APPLY to enter officer training. Being a pilot, having a dregree, being an ATP w/ a PhD doesn't gurantee you a slot. It's competitive for a limited number of slots & the independent of command selection/promotion board decides. They can also decide to grant a waiver to an Amn w/ no degree that's been around a while & proven themself to be what we need as an officer.

Yes at this point as an Amn you would select a specialty. That could be a reduced number of our tech ratings or one of a few ES specialties, again slots are limited by what the unit needs & can support, are controlled at Wg by a career field mgr.

Progression follows much the same as the existing adult program. The exceptions being: ALS replaces SLS to make SrA; NCOA replaces ACSC/RSC to make SSgt; SNCOA replaces AWC/NSC to make TSgt. MSgt & up are reserved for a member elected 1Sgt system (or prior-service) - you can keep the grade w/o the diamond after the assignment if you've completed lvl 5 & served satisfactorily in the position - kinda like Col after you leave Wg CC.

The officer side is basically adpted from the AF, so is very easy to understand. The mid-upper levels are already defined for us. The OTS & OBC are the only part that require some figuring out. We got an idea range on OTS. The OBC would be: pretty short, the main part of transition for prior-service officers coming over in grade, covers a broad specialty field (ES, CP, AE). That makes you one of those three type of line officers & that's all there is. Seperate, non-line courses would be around for Chaplains, HSO, JA. These would be a longer version & combine a short-version of OTS & a long version of the basic course. Think an entry level version of Chap staff College & the like in addition to the communications, leadership, & basic mil skills stuff they would have missed. Anyway, OTS, take a break, then OBC, you can do an ES qual before or after, or work on the CP/AE tech. Pretty straight forward.