Main Menu

A better way for DRMO

Started by Pylon, January 08, 2007, 03:30:20 PM

Pylon

This topic was brought up on another discussion going on here, and I thought it would be a good opportunity to strike up discussion on ways which we can improve CAP's access and ability to utilize DRMO.

As it stands now, there's a fairly complicated process that involved going through the State LO, blindly, to ask for things for your unit and hoping that they are in DRMO and that your LO is squared away enough to follow through the entire process to get it for you.  I'm sure somebody else can better and more fully explain how it works now.  I just know it's complicated and makes it pretty difficult for your average unit to get stuff it could really use out of DRMO.

Someone also mentioned that there's an online DRMO inventory somewhere.  How does this work and why can't CAP get access to it?

Other thoughts on how this process could be streamlined for all involved - both the squadrons, the LOs, and the DoD people?  This is something I think that would help out many units with their operational readiness and improved facilities.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Chris Jacobs

Maybe start a website (not another website ::))that CAP squadrons could go to and put in items that they would like to get.  This list would then pop up at the closest DRMO and they could redirect the supplies to the wing LO for distribution to the squadron.  I think sometimes good stuff goes through DRMO without CAP ever knowing about it.  But if the DRMO people knew we were looking for it and would take it off the shelf as soon as it come in then that would help.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

Pylon

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on January 08, 2007, 03:38:33 PM
Maybe start a website (not another website ::))that CAP squadrons could go to and put in items that they would like to get.  This list would then pop up at the closest DRMO and they could redirect the supplies to the wing LO for distribution to the squadron.  I think sometimes good stuff goes through DRMO without CAP ever knowing about it.  But if the DRMO people knew we were looking for it and would take it off the shelf as soon as it come in then that would help.

But why not allow certain people within CAP access to the online DRMO "catalog" of sorts?  That would be a lot easier than saddling government employees with additional duties of checking a "CAP" website.  They don't work for us, after all.  I really think it would be bad to create different processes or duties for DoD/DRMO people for CAP.

But as a federal agency who is actually allowed to draw from a DRMO, why shouldn't we be able to get more common access to the catalog.  If we could, we could easily streamline the process of requisitioning and take all of the guesswork out of how we do it now.   I'm all for allowing CAP to go through the same process as other federal agencies who draw from a DRMO, so that the DRMO people don't have to change how they do stuff just for CAP.   

Why not grant a specific group of people, such as Wing and Group Logistics Officers access to read the catalog, and Wing Logistics Officers (with Wing LO coordination), the authorization to fill out the MILSTRIP request to requisition the property for CAP?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JTodd

Take a look at this site. You can locate items by DRMO, geographical area or by  commodity.

https://www.drms.dla.mil/rtd03/specialprograms.htm

Go to property search, transfer/donation and search by DRMO, Geographic Area, or Commodity.

John
Maj  John Todd
Cloud Peak Composite
Sheridan, WY

Chris Jacobs

What i was talking about was making it so that as DRMO receives gear it can flag it saying that CAP is looking for this.  then all it takes is for them to shoot off an email, or maybe have the email automatically sent when the gear is entered into their system.  then the requesting CAP squadron/wing gets a note saying "its here".  If it was a good computer program it wouldn't take very much time on the DRMO employees part at all.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

mikeylikey

Last year the GAO sent agents into numerous DRMO's and pretty much walked out with millions worth of equipment.  IT went to congress and DLA sat before the senate and had to explain how these "agents" could just walk in show a picture ID and walk out with all that equipment.  It was a setup to topple the system that was in place.  I would even go as far as saying it was done to get someone fired.  GAO said that in all practicality thier "agents" could have been terrorists and acquired sensistive equipment.  That is how we find ourselves here.  DLA and DRMO's took action against civilians (most likely spure of the moment) and reinvented thier system.  IT simply is a fiasco to work through the current process.

Call Mrs Pasley at CAP-USAF and let her know you want in on the GSA part of DRMO.  GSA gets two weeks each month to screen whatever they want online and hold it for the FEDS.  (Almost like the Fed Gov't saying we have surplus but no one can have it because we may or may not reuse it).  They are the people who usually "beat" CAP and others in screening clothing.  GO to http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/gsa/ep/contentView.do?faq=yes&pageTypeId=8211&contentId=10034&contentType=GSA_OVERVIEW#GSAXcess®[url=http://]]]http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/gsa/ep/contentView.do?faq=yes&pageTypeId=8211&contentId=10034&contentType=GSA_OVERVIEW#GSAXcess®//

The program is called GSAXCESS.  CAP-USAF is an "authorized" party eligable to screen online after she sets you up.  The only thing is you will still need to get signatures from her or your CAP-USAF region logistics guy.  This is so much quicker and easier than visiting your DRMO.  They will even ship for you or hold for your pick up.  Go to the website and register as a visitor to see what is offered in your area.
What's up monkeys?

lordmonar

DRMO has a lot of problmes as it is.

However...from what I understand....(and I may be wrong)....but anyone can go to DRMO and put a freeze on an item.  Then you go to your LO and do the paperwork to get it transfered.

As far as flagging the system for items CAP is looking...you cannot do that because it would put a "demand" on the system.

We are not authorised to put a demand in the system, we can only get things that are classified as excess.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ELTHunter

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 08, 2007, 04:48:55 PM
Call Mrs Pasley at CAP-USAF and let her know you want in on the GSA part of DRMO.  GSA gets two weeks each month to screen whatever they want online and hold it for the FEDS.  (Almost like the Fed Gov't saying we have surplus but no one can have it because we may or may not reuse it).  They are the people who usually "beat" CAP and others in screening clothing.  GO to http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/gsa/ep/contentView.do?faq=yes&pageTypeId=8211&contentId=10034&contentType=GSA_OVERVIEW#GSAXcess®[url=http://]]]http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/gsa/ep/contentView.do?faq=yes&pageTypeId=8211&contentId=10034&contentType=GSA_OVERVIEW#GSAXcess®//

The program is called GSAXCESS.  CAP-USAF is an "authorized" party eligable to screen online after she sets you up.  The only thing is you will still need to get signatures from her or your CAP-USAF region logistics guy.  This is so much quicker and easier than visiting your DRMO.  They will even ship for you or hold for your pick up.  Go to the website and register as a visitor to see what is offered in your area.

I've always been under the impression, maybe it's just our State Director's (LO) policy, that he had to be with us at DRMO to get anything.  If a retired USAF Col., can't fly there, he's probably not going.  We used to make regular trips back in the days when we had an LNCO.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

badger bob

Correction

Please don't call Joyce Paisley from the CAP/USAF side until you have called you have called KC Jones from the CAP-Logistics.

The state CAP/USAF Liason officers were completely taken out of the DRMO requisition loop. See CAPR 67-1.

The DRMO actually has a user friendly inventory listing
https://wex.drms.dla.mil/rtd03/index.html

Items are place by the DRMO in a DOD screening status for the balance of the week plus the next two full calender weeks ending on Friday. CAP can place requisitions for items in DOD Status. All items are a first come, first serve basis and CAP competes against Regular Services, Reserve Forces, National Guard, CAP, ROTC, Overseas Military Assistance, MARS, Military assistance to law enforcement agencies, Military Assistance to fire departments and many others.

After the DOD cycle, all items go to GSA for three weeks. Any agency with GSA authority can screen during this period

After the GSA cycle, all items go to a donation status. non profit groups including scouts and schools for 5 days. this cycle is coordinated by a state agency and charges the non profit groups a transcation fee. $2 per emergency generator may work, but $2 per web belt probably not.

After GSA, anything left goes to a RTD status for 48 hours. CAP can screen during this cycle

Screenings ( writing the DOD requisition called a MILSTRIP) must be done by the National CAP/USAF Logistics Officer- Joyce Paisley or the Regional CAP/USAF Logistics Officers.

Before any supply requisitions are written the National CAP Logistics Officer-KC Jones- must approve a request that references the table of allowances. Requests for uniforms do not have to be pre-approved by KC Jones.

CAP Logistics and CAP/ USAF are aware that the current system does not work well, but the Wisconsin Wing has been active in receiving equipment in the last two years

Any officer with command or logistics authority that need help with the system can send me a PM and I will respond or send you my phone number
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

badger bob

QuoteBut why not allow certain people within CAP access to the online DRMO "catalog" of sorts?  That would be a lot easier than saddling government employees with additional duties of checking a "CAP" website.  They don't work for us, after all.  I really think it would be bad to create different processes or duties for DoD/DRMO people for CAP.

But as a federal agency who is actually allowed to draw from a DRMO, why shouldn't we be able to get more common access to the catalog.  If we could, we could easily streamline the process of requisitioning and take all of the guesswork out of how we do it now.   I'm all for allowing CAP to go through the same process as other federal agencies who draw from a DRMO, so that the DRMO people don't have to change how they do stuff just for CAP.   

Why not grant a specific group of people, such as Wing and Group Logistics Officers access to read the catalog, and Wing Logistics Officers (with Wing LO coordination), the authorization to fill out the MILSTRIP request to requisition the property for CAP?

Actually, this system is in place in the DRMO system. The DRMO will notify a responsible party using a variety of user options. Send me a PM for a demo or more info
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

badger bob

Quote[The program is called GSAXCESS.  CAP-USAF is an "authorized" party eligable to screen online after she sets you up.  The only thing is you will still need to get signatures from her or your CAP-USAF region logistics guy.  This is so much quicker and easier than visiting your DRMO.  They will even ship for you or hold for your pick up.  Go to the website and register as a visitor to see what is offered in your area.

CAP is not currently authorized to use GSA screenings. CAP can not screen from the federal government without following the procedures in CAPR 67-1, which includes receiving clearance from CAP NHQ Logistics.

CAP/ USAF and NHQ CAP Logistics are working on a more stream-lined on line
requisition system that may rollout in the next 6 months. All we need are sign-offs from another 14 levels of DOD bureaucracy.

One area your state CAP/USAF LO can help with is to expedite a pre-approved transfer in place from a state reserve outfit or a state guard unit. Works great for a base being realigned or if your state is in-line to replace woodland BDU's with the new ones.

A transfer can be arranged to CAP direct but the paperwork is still processed thru the DRMO so a paper trail exists. Its the military, so we have got to have paperwork

Removed empty quote tags - MIKE
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320