Main Menu

Strange ABU Pattern

Started by swanny, July 30, 2021, 09:40:59 AM

swanny

We just got some uniform sets donated to us and the ABU pattern seems unique as I have never seen this before. Before we allow cadets to use them, has anyone seen this ABU pattern and is it authorized in CAP? Thank you1932ABD4-204D-494F-9539-CC80F57C96CE-converted-compressed.pdf

GroundHawg

It looks like the early early pattern that still had blue in it. They are fairly rare and militia collectors would jump all over those.

NovemberWhiskey

Does it have a manufacturer tag in it? If your camera is rendering the color balance correctly then it does look pretty odd. My guess is it's been over-washed: the darkest color has stayed quite dark but everything else seems too light.

swanny

They are brand new and have a DLA tag in it. I am using an iPad Pro to take the picture so the colors are correct. I was thinking it was one of the early patterns as well but wasn't sure as I was looking at some of the early issued ABU's online but couldn't find this exact style.

NovemberWhiskey

If they have a DLA tag and the right NSN then I guess they're good for wear by definition! Even bearing in mind the deliberate changes in color, the ABUs have always had a wide variation - it seems it's a criticism even from airmen that have been issued them.

These look like they're in the ripstop material that only became available around 2012 or so (same time that the internal map pockets went away I think?) so I doubt they're early issue.

Eclipse

Vanguard sells ABUs that are pink, these should be fine.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on July 30, 2021, 03:17:48 PMVanguard sells ABUs that are pink, these should be fine.

Wasn't sure if that was my color vision...

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on July 30, 2021, 04:46:42 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 30, 2021, 03:17:48 PMVanguard sells ABUs that are pink, these should be fine.

Wasn't sure if that was my color vision...

Not in this case it was / is especially noticeable in bright sun.

You could spot the cadets who shopped at VG from 50,000 feet.

As discussed here a couple years ago, they were no-name knockoffs from Rhodesia.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

They are the NFPA compliant version of ABUs that were exclusive to first responders in the Air Force, i.e., those who may be exposed to flames.
Serving since 1987.