How to represent a region and wing commander's commendation award in ribbon form

Started by ghost22, June 17, 2021, 09:37:53 PM

ghost22

The regs are a bit vague on what to do with this, but how do I represent earning a region commander's commendation and wing commander's commendation on my ribbon rack? I assume not just a bronze star as that would be just the region award, so would it be a bronze star and then one bronze propeller? Or something different?

baronet68

You should take a visit to the McChord Rack Builder http://mcchord.org/rack_builder/

Under Commander's Commendation Award, select "2nd Award (Region Cmdr)" and your result should look like this:

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

N6RVT

Quote from: baronet68 on June 17, 2021, 10:41:13 PMYou should take a visit to the McChord Rack Builder http://mcchord.org/rack_builder/

Under Commander's Commendation Award, select "2nd Award (Region Cmdr)" and your result should look like this:

This is actually what I wear.  You can't tell where the second Commanders Commendation came from.  Could be from Region, could be from Wing.  You wear the same thing either way.

If one was from Region and one was from National, you would wear a silver star, a bronze star, and a bronze triangle clasp.  Three devices on a ribbon you only have two of.

N6RVT

baronet68

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on June 18, 2021, 01:42:39 PM
Quote from: ghost22 on June 18, 2021, 01:25:27 AMAlright, thanks for the clarification!

Now do search & rescue with both air & ground finds.

Here are 31 combined Aircrew and Ground Finds:

Here are 310 combined Aircrew and Ground SAR Sorties:

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

N6RVT

I have one air and two ground finds, but I don't even qualify for ASAR ribbon with nothing on it.  Three sorties, three finds.

Bayareaflyer 44

Team -  Since there is a drift in ribbons beyond the subject post - with regards to finds, the clasp is dependent on the type of find.

Remember, per the reg CAPR 39-3, there are two types - distress and non-distress.

So, if you have two distress finds - you are awarded the basic ribbon (find one) and one clasp.

If you have non-distress finds, your total must be 21 NDFs (basic ribbon, plus 20 NDFs) before you can apply a clasp.

From the reg (CAPR 39-3, page 14(d)
. Search "Find" Ribbon.  Awarded by the wing commander (or a subordinate commander if  authority  is  delegated  by  the  wing  commander)  to  any  CAP  member  of  the  wing  making  a  find  (distress  or  non-distress)  on  a  search  and  rescue  mission.    A  "distress  find"  is  defined  as  one  involving  downed  aircraft  or  persons  in  distress.    Normally,  a  definite  search  objective  must  have  been assigned, located and positively identified.  All other finds will be classified as "non-distress," e.g., location of non-distress emergency locator transmitters (ELTs).  The basic ribbon is awarded for a first find (distress or non-distress).  A bronze clasp is awarded for each additional distress find or for each additional 20 non-distress finds.  Both aircrew and ground team members may receive credit for finds...

Just wanted to point this one out.

Earhart #2546
GRW     #3418

HaroldBuchanan

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on June 17, 2021, 11:49:54 PM
Quote from: baronet68 on June 17, 2021, 10:41:13 PMYou should take a visit to the McChord Rack Builder http://mcchord.org/rack_builder/

This is actually what I wear.  You can't tell where the second Commanders Commendation came from.  Could be from Region, could be from Wing.  You wear the same thing either way.

If one was from Region and one was from National, you would wear a silver star, a bronze star, and a bronze triangle clasp.  Three devices on a ribbon you only have two of.

I am open to disagreement.  But in the event of a single national com com and a single region Comcom, I am not convinced a clasp is necessary. I would add a clasp for a subsequent for any echelon, but I think the first iteration of a national could be represented by the silver star. I would only add a clasp if the first (or second)award was a wing level in addition to region or national.

In this example, I am unconvinced a person would be wrong with a single national and region comcom, and no wing level wearing no clasp, just the two stars. I'm open to mentorship,

In my case say for example if I had five wing commanders com, before my first region, to me it would make sense to replace the basic ribbon of 4 clasps, with a single bronze star and a silver clasp instead of a star, silver clasp and a bronze clasp.

Quote1) Members who earn the award as authorized by the wing commander will be awarded the basic ribbon.
(2) A bronze star is added to the ribbon when the award is authorized by the region commander.
(3) A silver star is added to the ribbon when the award is authorized by the National Commander.
(4) In the event of multiple awards, the bronze or silver star is placed on the ribbon to the wearer's right of any clasps for multiple awards at any level. Only one bronze or silver star (one star of each type) will be worn.
LtCol Harold Buchanan
OR-042
DCP
Retired US Army

Eclipse

You wear the ribbon for the first award, and add a bronze triangle device for every additional award.
One Region and one Wing = two awards, thus ribbon + star & one bronze prop.

If a Region or national award is included in the total mix, the highest award's star color is added to the left,  regardless of the number of awards received, and does not count as a "+1 triangle device" (however it does count towards the total of 4 devices allowed for each ribbon).

You may wear a total of two stars to denote the Region / National awards (on of each color).  Beyond that it's all bronze or silver triangle devices, regardless of award level. 1-4 = bronze triangle, 5th device (not award) = silver triangle device.  This trips up some people as the silver triangles scoop up 5 each, but you have to have a total of 6 (ribbon + 5 devices) for the first silver.

Bear in mind, the Region / Nation award is the "Ribbon w/ star", respectively. They are not independent of each other.

Yes, if you require more than 4 devices on the first ribbon, you wear a second of the same type (at various times
I have worn two Comm Comms and two Encampments), growing in or out as you get more awards.

Examples:

6 Total Commendations, including one National:

4 Total Commendations, including one Region and One National:

McChord's logic is correct, your simplest way to config a rack is use them:
http://www.mcchord.org/rack_builder/check_sr.html

"That Others May Zoom"

N6RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on August 03, 2021, 02:11:55 AMYou wear the ribbon for the first award, and add a bronze triangle device for every additional award.One Region and one Wing = two awards, thus ribbon + star & one bronze prop.

If a Region or national award is included in the total mix, the highest award's star color is added to the left,  regardless of the number of awards received, and does not count as a "+1 triangle device" (however it does count towards the total of 4 devices allowed for each ribbon).

You may wear a total of two stars to denote the Region / National awards (on of each color).  Beyond that it's all bronze or silver triangle devices, regardless of award level. 1-4 = bronze triangle, 5th device (not award) = silver triangle device.  This trips up some people as the silver triangles scoop up 5 each, but you have to have a total of 6 (ribbon + 5 devices) for the first silver.

Bear in mind, the Region / Nation award is the "Ribbon w/ star", respectively. They are not independent of each other.

Yes, if you require more than 4 devices on the first ribbon, you wear a second of the same type (at various times
I have worn two Comm Comms and two Encampments), growing in or out as you get more awards.

Examples:

6 Total Commendations, including one National:

4 Total Commendations, including one Region and One National:

McChord's logic is correct, your simplest way to config a rack is use them:http://www.mcchord.org/rack_builder/check_sr.html

After all that, the distinction between the two is simply that the star does not itself represent an award.

So my $68 ribbon rack from Ultrathin does not need to go back to the shop.  Thats a relief.

Eclipse

Quote from: HaroldBuchanan on August 03, 2021, 01:57:48 AMIn my case say for example if I had five wing commanders com, before my first region, to me it would make sense to replace the basic ribbon of 4 clasps, with a single bronze star and a silver clasp instead of a star, silver clasp and a bronze clasp.

5 Wing Awards (before a Region is added):

5 Wing Awards plus a 6th which is a Region:

"That Others May Zoom"