Main Menu

Badges

Started by yolo, October 14, 2019, 12:44:42 AM

yolo

Hey Guys,

I had a quick question regarding the Cyber and STEM badges. If I have both, but no other badges, where would I wear them? I don't have the Model Rocketry. Would I just wear them on the two pockets until I get my model rocketry badge? Or would I wear one on the pocket under the name tag, and one over the name tag?

Thanks
TheMeepMan

Gunsotsu

You don't.

The Cyber and STEM badges are not approved for wear currently.

Fester

Quote from: Gunsotsu on October 14, 2019, 04:53:51 AM
You don't.

Where did you hear that?  CAPP 60-41 directly overrides whatever gives you that belief.

"1.1 Regulatory Guidance
The Cadet Cyber and STEM Badges are authorized for wear on the CAP cadet uniform, effective 1 October 2018. See
CAPM 39-1, CAP Uniform Manual. This pamphlet outlines the eligibility rules for cadets participating in this elective
program. The program does not serve senior members."
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Gunsotsu

Quote from: Fester on October 14, 2019, 05:41:53 AM

Where did you hear that?  CAPP 60-41 directly overrides whatever gives you that belief.

"1.1 Regulatory Guidance
The Cadet Cyber and STEM Badges are authorized for wear on the CAP cadet uniform, effective 1 October 2018. See
CAPM 39-1, CAP Uniform Manual
. This pamphlet outlines the eligibility rules for cadets participating in this elective

The answer lies in your quote. There are no wear instructions, or an ICL, in CAPM 39-1 authorizing wear or providing wear instructions. Until that changes, the badge can not be worn. CAPP 60-41 can not and does not supersede CAPM 39-1.

Fester

Quote from: Gunsotsu on October 14, 2019, 06:00:33 AM

"1.1 Regulatory Guidance
. This pamphlet outlines the eligibility rules for cadets participating in this elective

The answer lies in your quote. There are no wear instructions, or an ICL, in CAPM 39-1 authorizing wear or providing wear instructions. Until that changes, the badge can not be worn. CAPP 60-41 can not and does not supersede CAPM 39-1.

I disagree.  The badges are absolutely approved for wear.  But until a new 39-1 or an ICL is published, there is no instruction on placement of that wear.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

abdsp51

Quote from: Fester on October 14, 2019, 06:36:27 AM

"1.1 Regulatory Guidance

I disagree.  The badges are absolutely approved for wear.  But until a new 39-1 or an ICL is published, there is no instruction on placement of that wear.

If it's not in the reg it cannot be worn.....  You must have missed the big bold font that says "COMPLIANCE WITH THIS INSTRUCTION IS MANDATORY"

N6RVT

"1.1 Regulatory Guidance

Are they possibly citing a 39-1 that has not been published yet?

Toad1168

They are authorised for wear.  By your logic, current competitors in NCC would not wear the green ribbon instead of the blue because 39-3 has not been updated. They wear the grren ribbon per CAPP 52-4.  Same scenario.
Toad

Eclipse

Same goes for the ABU.  Not authorized.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: Toad1168 on October 14, 2019, 01:51:40 PM
They are authorised for wear.  By your logic, current competitors in NCC would not wear the green ribbon instead of the blue because 39-3 has not been updated. They wear the grren ribbon per CAPP 52-4.  Same scenario.

Double check the green ribbon is a unit citation...   The regs cited do not govern uniform wear. CAPR39-1 does, if the badge, ribbon or whatever bling is not in there or an affiliated ICL then it's not authorized. 

Ozzy

Quote from: abdsp51 on October 14, 2019, 02:38:26 PM

Double check the green ribbon is a unit citation...   The regs cited do not govern uniform wear. CAPR39-1 does, if the badge, ribbon or whatever bling is not in there or an affiliated ICL then it's not authorized.

I believe when he says green ribbon, he is talking about the National Color Guard Competition ribbon, which is green, rather then the National Cadet Competition ribbon, which is blue.

When the NCC was revamped, the only ribbon awarded now is the green one.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

jeders

39-3 governs the standards for awarding a ribbon; 39-1 simply tells you where your ribbons go. So your example does not work at all.

Until an updated 39-1, ICL, or wear policy letter comes out, we have no idea how, where, or on what uniforms to place the cyber and STEM badges. So until we have answers to those questions, regardless of what any unrelated pamphlet says, they cannot be worn on any CAP uniform.

Quote from: Gunsotsu on October 14, 2019, 04:53:51 AM
You don't.

Wrong, pamphlets do not override unrelated manuals; they only provide additional non-regulatory guidance.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

SARDOC

"1.1 Regulatory Guidance

CAPR 1-2 indicates specifically that CAP Pamphlets are Non-Directive. Therefor do NOT supersede Directive Publications like Regulations, Manuals, ICLs, etc...

Holding Pattern

Quote from: SARDOC on October 14, 2019, 10:34:45 PM

"1.1 Regulatory Guidance

CAPR 1-2 indicates specifically that CAP Pamphlets are Non-Directive. Therefor do NOT supersede Directive Publications like Regulations, Manuals, ICLs, etc...

And this is why I can't wait for the 39-1 rewrite to get done.

Eclipse

Quote from: Holding Pattern on October 14, 2019, 10:37:31 PM
And this is why I can't wait for the 39-1 rewrite to get done.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAP9907

asked and answered.

~9907
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0