Which 'windbreaker' jacket is correct?

Started by rjfoxx, September 13, 2009, 12:05:17 AM

rjfoxx

39-1 shows the AF blue windbreaker with the blues and I have seen comments saying that the Army style black windbreaker is also correct.  I am fairly new to CAP and have not purchased all my uniforms yet.  Do we wear blue with blues and black with the greys?
Major Richard J Foxx, CAP
Health Service Officer - DEWG
IG Inspector - DEWG

Thom

Quote from: rjfoxx on September 13, 2009, 12:05:17 AM
39-1 shows the AF blue windbreaker with the blues and I have seen comments saying that the Army style black windbreaker is also correct.  I am fairly new to CAP and have not purchased all my uniforms yet.  Do we wear blue with blues and black with the greys?

You'll need all the ICLs to complement the CAPM 39-1 to get the whole picture.  And, even then...

Anyway, as far as I know, here is how it works:

AF Blues = Blue Windbreaker

CSU (Blue & White Corporate Uniform) = Black Windbreaker

Corporate Distinctive (White & Gray) = Any Civilian Outergarments

Anyone have any additions or corrections?

Thom Hamilton

AlphaSigOU

Lt Hamilton is correct.

AF blue windbreaker on blues.

Black Army officer windbreaker (with knit collar and epaulets - the enlisted version has a collar, similar to the AF style; I don't believe it has epaulets) on corporate-style blues.

Any conservative civilian outergarment with the grays.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on September 13, 2009, 02:43:12 AM
Lt Hamilton is correct.

AF blue windbreaker on blues.

Black Army officer windbreaker (with knit collar and epaulets - the enlisted version has a collar, similar to the AF style; I don't believe it has epaulets) on corporate-style blues.

Any conservative civilian outergarment with the grays.

Correct.  The Naval officer jacket is the same cut and style, so if you happen to be near a NAVex or find a navy jacket on eBay, you're ok there.

"That Others May Zoom"

Chief2009

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

scooter

Just another example of too many uniforms/combination s. :(

Eclipse

Quote from: scooter on September 14, 2009, 02:42:41 PM
Just another example of too many uniforms/combination s.

How do you figure?  Those wearing the CSU should just be chilly in the fall and winter?

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on September 14, 2009, 02:56:11 PM
Those wearing the CSU should just be chilly in the fall and winter?
They should have enough extra blubber to keep them warm  >:D

JUST KIDDING!

billford1

For the gray slack uniform it's any civilian outer garment and the AF Blue Gabardine Sweater which although it's not a windbreaker it is warm and has epaulets.

BuckeyeDEJ

Easy rule to keep in mind:

If it's the Air Force uniform, you wear only Air Force-approved uniform items. Only the insignia is different (and at that, there's a couple of things the same — the U.S., the service-coat nametag and the chaplaincy insignias).

If it's the CSU, you wear Army-black outergarments. (My advice to anyone who'd consider the CSU: Don't spend a lot of money on it, especially since CAP can diddle with it at the drop of a hat.)

If it's the white-and-gray CAP civilian combination, it's whatever you want it to be. Believe it or not, it's the most consistent non-Air Force uniform we have available.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Airrace

Eclipse

Quote from: Airrace on September 15, 2009, 02:44:10 AM
Check this jacket out on E-bay. I have bought several from him as he has different sizes. Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/JACKET-MANS-LIGHTWEIGHT-BLUE-W-LINER-MILITARY-USED-40R_W0QQitemZ390055860455QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad12418e7&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

That's the old-style blues jacket.

It is not currently approved for wear with any CAP uniform.

The proper jacket is the identical cut to the Navy/Army lightweight jacket / windbreaker except in dark blue.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spike

^ Really??  The black windbreaker in the picture above is an Army Officers jacket.  AAFES is still selling the style similar to the picture you posted above with the pointed collars.   

Eclipse

Quote from: Spike on September 15, 2009, 06:44:02 PM
^ Really??  The black windbreaker in the picture above is an Army Officers jacket.  AAFES is still selling the style similar to the picture you posted above with the pointed collars.

Sorry, you're correct.  I was paying so much attention to the waistband that I forgot about the collar.

The USAF jacket is the same as the black one pictured, with the exception that the USAF jackets have the pointed collar.

The one Airrace is saying he buys on ebay is the old material, has different pockets, and lacks the elastic waistband.  The overall cut of the jacket itself is a bit different as well.

Say what you want about the CSU, but the universal reaction I get to the black jacket is "Man, that looks sharp". I'm expecting the same reaction to the black sweater, though I'm waiting on that until NHQ clarifies the style, since it seems to have changed from "Army" to "police-tactical".

"That Others May Zoom"

Spike

^ I thought I missed something about AF uniforms.  AAFES is known to keep selling something that no longer is supposed to be worn.

I do like the black windbreaker, the black all weather coat and the black sweater.
They are sharp looking uniform components when worn with the White and Blue Corporates.

However I am not so sure how the sweater will look with gray CAP rank slides though.   

Eclipse

Quote from: Spike on September 15, 2009, 08:23:05 PM
^ I thought I missed something about AF uniforms.  AAFES is known to keep selling something that no longer is supposed to be worn.

I do like the black windbreaker, the black all weather coat and the black sweater.
They are sharp looking uniform components when worn with the White and Blue Corporates.

However I am not so sure how the sweater will look with gray CAP rank slides though.

As of last I checked we'd be wearing the standard dark blue USAF slides.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Spike on September 15, 2009, 08:23:05 PMHowever I am not so sure how the sweater will look with gray CAP rank slides though.

I think I missed an ICL because I can't find info on the sweater. I was under the impression that it used the same epaulet sleeves that the white shirt did (white shirt as part of the white/blue combo).

Spike

^ No, You and Eclipse are right.  I was off base here.  I retract my previous statement, the blue slides with black anything will look good.

Gunner C

Quote from: RiverAux on September 14, 2009, 03:05:17 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 14, 2009, 02:56:11 PM
Those wearing the CSU should just be chilly in the fall and winter?
They should have enough extra blubber to keep them warm  >:D

JUST KIDDING!

::)
;D

rjfoxx

Apparently there has been a "change" about the black sweater.  The Army black sweater is NOT allowed with the blue/white uniform.  It must be a "black police style sweater with epaulets".  This is from the San Antonio National meeting according to my Wing Commander.  :-X
Major Richard J Foxx, CAP
Health Service Officer - DEWG
IG Inspector - DEWG

Eclipse

Quote from: rjfoxx on September 16, 2009, 12:51:04 PM
Apparently there has been a "change" about the black sweater.  The Army black sweater is NOT allowed with the blue/white uniform.  It must be a "black police style sweater with epaulets".  This is from the San Antonio National meeting according to my Wing Commander. 

Which is what I said above...

"That Others May Zoom"

Phillip

The black sweater was approved?  ???  I thought it had been nixed.  The use of the police style sweater was one of the suggestions I submitting to my Wing CC.
Captain

Thom

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly delineates the Police-style Sweater from the US Army Sweater?

And, for that matter, after a little Googling, it appears that Police-style covers a wide range of different sweaters, some with and some without chest patches, and some without epaulets, though I believe the NB decision would require the with-epaulet versions for CAP.

So, what did we just adopt?  (I know, wait for the ICL...)

FYI, I agree with those who posted earlier about the appearance of the Black Windbreaker:  It is Sharp!  Very nice looking uniform combo for the CSU with the blue pants and flight cap with that jacket.

Thom Hamilton

The CyBorg is destroyed

I have a Royal Canadian Navy issue pullover black sweater, V-neck, velcro'ed epaulets, and no place on the front for a nameplate like the Army's black sweater.  I'm wondering if it would be acceptable...actually, it would look good with the blue epaulettes on the CSU.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011