Where to find Old Style Service Coat?

Started by AlaskaRocks, September 12, 2012, 01:13:40 AM

AlaskaRocks

Hey guys,

Wondering where I can find an old style Service Coat (Cadet)

Do I have to get lucky and find one circulating around the Wing?

Do I have to buy it off another member?

Can I still buy them from a store somewhere?

Thanks

Майор Хаткевич

eBay.

Make sure to get pants that match in color as well.

The Old style coats have quite a few color variants, and NONE are the same as the current pants. The closest one I found was great, but the pants are the real challenge. Of course it will also NOT match your flight cap.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Make sure it isn't a really old one.  Those were more grey than blue (kind of like the RAF) and had the "Kaptain Kangaroo" pockets.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Garibaldi

Quote from: CyBorg on September 12, 2012, 06:38:02 PM
Make sure it isn't a really old one.  Those were more grey than blue (kind of like the RAF) and had the "Kaptain Kangaroo" pockets.

60's style. My dad had one of those with the bellows pocket when he got out in '72
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Camas

You're speaking of the John McConnell uniform shade 1549 which was out from about 1969 to 1994 or so. This was the uniform with the "Captain Kangaroo" pockets.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Camas on September 12, 2012, 11:32:34 PM

You're speaking of the John McConnell uniform shade 1549 which was out from about 1969 to 1994 or so. This was the uniform with the "Captain Kangaroo" pockets.

The original service dress jacket was the bluish-gray Shade 84, later 1084 which had the lower 'Captain Kangaroo' bellows pockets. The McConnell redesigned service dress jacket is a darker shade (1549) and only the flaps on the lower pockets. I think the Air Force Academy still wears a variation (don't know the shade) of the McConnell-style service dress.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

BigShu

There's a couple at my local surplus store. What size were you looking for?

AlaskaRocks

Thanks for the input.  I'm not sure exactly how to measure myself for the service coat, is there a website you know of that can tell me exactly where to measure?

a2capt

Go to Mens Warehouse or a similar store and ask to be measured .. they do it all the time. Now you've got numbers.