Where to Put the Crease on the BDU Shirt

Started by GTCommando, February 16, 2011, 11:37:19 PM

GTCommando

Since I've joined CAP, I've been taught that the crease goes on the back side of the shoulder patch. However, recently I read that the crease is supposed to cut the patch in half. CAPM 39-1 is silent concerning creases on the BDU, but my DC said that since most of the staff at the time was ex-army, they just did it the Army way, which believes that cutting a unit patch in half with a crease is disrespectful.

Relevant answers please? Thanks
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

HGjunkie

Quote from: GTCommando on February 16, 2011, 11:37:19 PM
Since I've joined CAP, I've been taught that the crease goes on the back side of the shoulder patch. However, recently I read that the crease is supposed to cut the patch in half. CAPM 39-1 is silent concerning creases on the BDU, but my DC said that since most of the staff at the time was ex-army, they just did it the Army way, which believes that cutting a unit patch in half with a crease is disrespectful.

Relevant answers please? Thanks

I put mine centered on the patch but not actually cutting the patch. As in, flat patch and then nice crease.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

davidsinn

Quote from: SarDragon on February 16, 2011, 11:43:47 PM
Read this thread.

I'm not going to rehash my arguments from that thread but I will simply state that I intentionally do not crease my sleeves. I roll them a bit after ironing and re-iron where it creased.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

manfredvonrichthofen

Most everyone else creases their sleeves.

When I crease mine, I do it the same way I did in the Army, right under the middle of the patch without creasing the patch its self, I make sure that the patch isn't creased by re-ironing the patch flat.

AngelWings

Center down from the Shoulder seams is how I learned. Go under the patch with the crease. Also, do not crease the actual patch. The idea of creasing to the side of the patch was a beginner error for me, which leaves my current top scarred with a faint crease.

GTCommando

Thanks for all the tips. I'm currently in the process of trying to establish a 'perma-crease' in my sleeves. I'm glad I posted this thread before I succeeded in the wrong place!  ::)  Thanks again.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

AngelWings

Quote from: GTCommando on February 17, 2011, 02:43:00 AM
Thanks for all the tips. I'm currently in the process of trying to establish a 'perma-crease' in my sleeves. I'm glad I posted this thread before I succeeded in the wrong place!  ::)  Thanks again.
Trust me you would have wanted to seen my double creased top  :)

davidsinn

Before you go and crease it you should consult with your chain of command to find out how they want it done.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

AngelWings

Quote from: davidsinn on February 17, 2011, 03:30:36 PM

Before you go and crease it you should consult with your chain of command to find out how they want it done.
Most squadrons want it USA/USAF style, or don't want it at all. The bigger question to ask is if they allow creases ( I've heard squadrons dispermit it before)

davidsinn

Quote from: Littleguy on February 17, 2011, 07:34:11 PM

( I've heard squadrons dispermit it before)

Mine does.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

GTCommando

Quote from: Littleguy on February 17, 2011, 07:34:11 PM

Most squadrons want it USA/USAF style, or don't want it at all. The bigger question to ask is if they allow creases ( I've heard squadrons dis-permit it before)

Actually, my squadron rarely uses dress blues, since we do some sort of hands-on training almost every week. And as the BDU is our regular uniform, creases are required. I will make sure to ask my chain of command before I make it permanent.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Earhart #15889

BradM

I'll put this question here instead of starting a new thread since crease is part of the topic. On the long sleeve white aviator shirt should the sleeves have a crease? Thanks!
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

SarDragon

Quote from: BradM on March 04, 2011, 02:48:12 AM
I'll put this question here instead of starting a new thread since crease is part of the topic. On the long sleeve white aviator shirt should the sleeves have a crease? Thanks!

IMHO, yes. It's a dress shirt, and actually hard to iron w/o the creases.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BradM

Thank you! For my short sleeve and now long sleeve white aviator shirts I bring them to my local dry cleaners to do. I just wanted to know if I should tell them to crease the long sleeve one as well.
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA