Where to purchase BDUs?

Started by DBlair, December 12, 2010, 12:37:34 AM

DBlair

I was wondering if any of the CAPTalk members had suggestions of where to purchase new BDU uniforms. The local base only has a few odd sizes left of BDUs and I know there are quite a few different options online, so some guidance would be apprecited.

Criteria to be considered:
- Regulation/Military Issue BDUs, not the cheap-looking slightly off-color novelty/imitation uniforms I've seen.
- Lowest cost possible would be nice.
- Summer/Ripstop. (I'm in Florida)

Any suggestions?
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

GTCommando

C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

manfredvonrichthofen

U.S. Cavalry has a purchase agreement that you can purchase for one dollar, it says if you get a tear longer than two squares in summer ripstop BDUs in under six months they will replace the item for free if you purchase in store. I don't know if they have that same deal online but if so it is well worth it.

PHall

www.bdu.com has always worked for me.
Good stuff, reasonable prices and good customer service.

manfredvonrichthofen

I take that back, it wasn't U.S. Cav. It was a different store all together (a stand alone shop). Sorry about that.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

It is easy to find them at:
bdu.com
rangerjoes.com
vanguard.com
hockshop.com
ebay.com

My personal recommendation is to buy from a surplus store where you can try it on. I found a few tops of the same size and found one temperate weight top tht fit me perectly in length of the sleeve and the overall size was like wearing a custom tailored dress shirt.

HGjunkie

Quote from: Littleguy on December 19, 2010, 01:55:18 AM
hockshop.com
The Hock is closing out pretty soon due to a C&D order.

Quotevanguardmil.com
Heh. That's a joke, right?  ;)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

AngelWings

Yes it is, actually. They are the worst. The particular person here I would laugh at if they bought from Vanguard. Then he'd have the same experience has all of us. Vanguard is horrible at shipping. I've never seen the astronomical prices and horrible and expensive shipping mix in all of my life, until I saw vanguard. I bought a Civil Air Patrol tape from them and it came 3 weeks later, after the main order of set of a name tape's and name plates came. Absolutely ridiculous.

abdsp51

manfredvonrichthofen

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productid=18687&tabid=1
Best boot I have ever worn, best company I have ever ordered from.

Now, I have not had a bad time ordering from VG yet though.

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

IceNine

+ 3 for BDU.com

They are exactly the same as the one's I used to buy at the NEX at Great Lakes.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

a2capt

Some of the Winter weight BDUs I've seen that are new have the button tabs at the waist area of the blouse and they have a more subdued look than the Summer weight ones. Definitely not Rip-Stop, you can't see any squares.  I'd like to figure out which these are, I suspect Propper brand. Though one cadet said he got his stuff from Vanguard and yet, what I saw on table at both NB and CAWG Conference was not this type of Winter weight.

cap235629

Quote from: a2capt on December 19, 2010, 05:36:11 AM
Some of the Winter weight BDUs I've seen that are new have the button tabs at the waist area of the blouse and they have a more subdued look than the Summer weight ones. Definitely not Rip-Stop, you can't see any squares.  I'd like to figure out which these are, I suspect Propper brand. Though one cadet said he got his stuff from Vanguard and yet, what I saw on table at both NB and CAWG Conference was not this type of Winter weight.

Those are the OLD BDU design from the late 80's.  they have a larger collar as well.  The BDU's were changed and the tabs were removed and the waist tapered and collar made smaller around 1990.  If you are getting those they are either really old "new" stock or cheap imitations..........
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

a2capt

I suspected as much that they were the older design, but seeing about 10 instances in the last couple years of new ones show up, I have to wonder if there wasn't a cache of NOS uncovered since they are in theory, running low otherwise. Hmmm...

AngelWings

I have a temperate weight top that is the same exact has my summer weight top but is made of 50/50 poly/cotton twill. It had a USAR tape and a name tape on it. Fits like a tailored suit.

davidsinn

Quote from: cap235629 on December 19, 2010, 05:58:00 PM
Quote from: a2capt on December 19, 2010, 05:36:11 AM

Those are the OLD BDU design from the late 80's.  they have a larger collar as well.  The BDU's were changed and the tabs were removed and the waist tapered and collar made smaller around 1990.  If you are getting those they are either really old "new" stock or cheap imitations..........

That's odd. I have a two year old BBDU I bought new that way. I prefer that style.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

arBar

ditto's again for www.BDU.com, and be sure to get Propper brand.  Join their newsletter before ordering and they'll give you a coupon you can use on that first order (found out too late for myself). 

You can get Woodland Camo in the NYCO Ripstop (50/50 Nylon/Cotton) which is purported to be suitable for both Winter and Summer.