Where to find Service Coat other than AAFES?

Started by kmbarnes1, December 02, 2010, 02:40:49 AM

kmbarnes1

I have been visiting my local AFB's BX trying to find an Officers Service Coat Size 44Long. They even "special ordered" one for me a month ago. As of today, they still haven't gotten one in, nor do they know when they are going to get one. They suggested ordering online. After getting someone who has access to AAFES online, I find out that that size is not even available online.

Is there anywhere else I can go online? I've already checked out all my local surplus and second hand stores.
Kurt Barnes, 1st Lt, CAP
Assistant Deputy Commander of Cadets
Information Technology Officer
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron (MER-SC-056)

Pylon

A few alternatives:

militaryuniformexchange.com
eBay.com
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

BradM

BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

DakRadz

Quote from: BradM on December 02, 2010, 03:00:26 AM
try this site:

http://www.uniforms-4u.com/p-us-air-force-officer-service-dress-uniform-9957.aspx
Respectfully, they have the worst prices I have ever seen. I do not know if it is a quality assurance issue, but $50 more is pretty ridiculous, especially when evilBay and other alternatives exist.

Eclipse

I guess it all depends on how bad you want it and in what size - they go up to 56 Long, and unless you are about 7-1/2 feet tall, that is well, well, outside the weight specs for a USAF officer, even CAP.

I don't think I've ever seen anything from AAFES bigger than a 50-52.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ozzy

I just checked AAFES and it shows up that you can purchase a 44Long Officer Service Coat... not sure who told you that you couldn't.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

BradM

Quote from: DakRadz on December 02, 2010, 03:27:48 AM
Quote from: BradM on December 02, 2010, 03:00:26 AM
try this site:

http://www.uniforms-4u.com/p-us-air-force-officer-service-dress-uniform-9957.aspx
Respectfully, they have the worst prices I have ever seen. I do not know if it is a quality assurance issue, but $50 more is pretty ridiculous, especially when evilBay and other alternatives exist.

I search eBay everyday for Air Force items and they havent in 2010 had a current style uniform available for the Air Force. Its all vintage items. I'm trying to find myself a Bernard Service Cap in 7 3/8 with the Hap Arnold buttons at the BX (at March Air Reserve Base) and havent been able to find one yet. My size is always sold out. My next stop would be the BX at the Los Angeles base outside of LAX. If I cant find one there then I'd have to buy the $99.00 cap they have at uniforms4u.com if I needed one by a certain date. Luckily I have an older Bancroft cap with the old AF coat of arms buttons I can use if needed.
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

BradM

Quote from: Ozzy on December 02, 2010, 04:00:47 AM
I just checked AAFES and it shows up that you can purchase a 44Long Officer Service Coat... not sure who told you that you couldn't.

If you arent active duty and are only in CAP you cant register there. I tried it today. How did you log into the site?
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

Ozzy

Hence why you find a buddy that can. Or, you order it through National. The OP already said that they got someone to check AAFES online, but apparently they saw "Except 45, 47, 49, 51" and thought it meant 44.

If there is a will, there is a way.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

BradM

Quote from: Ozzy on December 02, 2010, 04:11:27 AM
Hence why you find a buddy that can. Or, you order it through National. The OP already said that they got someone to check AAFES online, but apparently they saw "Except 45, 47, 49, 51" and thought it meant 44.

If there is a will, there is a way.

Do you have a link or phone number for National?
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

Eclipse

Quote from: BradM on December 02, 2010, 04:06:06 AM
Quote from: Ozzy on December 02, 2010, 04:00:47 AM

If you arent active duty and are only in CAP you cant register there. I tried it today. How did you log into the site?

You can't, so You read this:  http://forums.cadetstuff.org/viewtopic.php?t=4960&highlight=aafes  and ask someone for a .pdf of the AAFES catalog (hint, hint).

I'm not aware you can place AAFES orders "through national", and VG doesn't sell service dress jackets.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Lots of active duty person in CAP often throw around AAFES and it's prices as if all CAP members could easily get the items therein.  I've never tried it...mostly because I am unsure of it all based on the treatment I have sometimes encountered at the "in person" clothing exchanges who don't know what CAP is.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Ozzy

Thanks Eclipse, I was going to give the link to the knowledge base but that was the post I remember seeing a long time ago.

As for 'through national', Back a few years ago when I was trying to get some uniform items from AAFES, I was told I had to fax the order form to national who would then forward it to AAFES to get it processed. I'll see if I can remember where I read that from....

And I was able to log into AAFES because I'm Army National Guard which has assisted in getting item numbers and prices.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

Eclipse

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 02, 2010, 04:26:25 AM
Lots of active duty person in CAP often throw around AAFES and it's prices as if all CAP members could easily get the items therein.

They can - see above.  No biggie.
Quote from: Major Carrales on December 02, 2010, 04:26:25 AM
I've never tried it...mostly because I am unsure of it all based on the treatment I have sometimes encountered at the "in person" clothing exchanges who don't know what CAP is.

I've been to USAF MCSS at Scott and Grissom, the ladies at Scott were awesome, even custom ordering shirts for me and shipping the for free.

The Grissom people were very nice, but it is a tiny store.

I've never known anyone to have issues at Great Lakes, though being a NAVEx it only stock(ed) a bare minimum of USAF stuff that was cross-service.  In the BDU days it was great, and of course ribbon racks, blousers, etc. , and other accessories are universal, but now it is all NWU and ACU, along with Navy and Army dress, though you can get your sizing and tailoring done there my seamstresses that do it 24x7x365.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ozzy

Quote from: Eclipse on December 02, 2010, 04:36:36 AM
I've been to USAF MCSS at Scott and Grissom, the ladies at Scott were awesome, even custom ordering shirts for me and shipping the for free.

The Grissom people were very nice, but it is a tiny store.

I've never known anyone to have issues at Great Lakes, though being a NAVEx it only stock(ed) a bare minimum of USAF stuff that was cross-service.  In the BDU days it was great, and of course ribbon racks, blousers, etc. , and other accessories are universal, but now it is all NWU and ACU, along with Navy and Army dress, though you can get your sizing and tailoring done there my seamstresses that do it 24x7x365.

+1. I've been to several different Military Exchanges... AAFES, NAVEx, CGx, Px/Bx,  and I've never had a problem as a cadet. As long as you were courteous, said that you were occupying military billeting, and was friendly, you rarely would have a problem.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

Persona non grata

www.patriotuniforms.com     You can order directly from them, you will have to emaail customer service for ordering instructions.
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

jimmydeanno

Quote from: kmbarnes1 on December 02, 2010, 02:40:49 AM
I have been visiting my local AFB's BX trying to find an Officers Service Coat Size 44Long. They even "special ordered" one for me a month ago. As of today, they still haven't gotten one in, nor do they know when they are going to get one. They suggested ordering online. After getting someone who has access to AAFES online, I find out that that size is not even available online.

Is there anywhere else I can go online? I've already checked out all my local surplus and second hand stores.

If they special ordered one for you, you should know when you're getting it.  I special ordered a mini-medal holder, they filled out a special order form, just like a nametag order and told me when I could expect it.  The day they told me to expect it, I got a phone call telling me that it was in.

Did they actually order it with you as the intended seller or just add it to their order sheet of things to get on the next shipment?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

kmbarnes1

Thanks for the info everyone. When I was at BX, I filled in the special order form, (name address phone), and they said they'd call me. The next time I called to check up on it, they had no idea what I was talking about...

The person I asked to check AAFES emailed me back saying they were out of stock. I might get someone else to check for me just in case. 
Kurt Barnes, 1st Lt, CAP
Assistant Deputy Commander of Cadets
Information Technology Officer
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron (MER-SC-056)

capmaj

kmbarbes1

I just purchased a 48XL off the rack at an AAFES.
If you keep running into a stone wall, PM me. I can check my AAFES. If they have your size and you will pay the postage, I'll pick one up and mail it to you. Let me know.

peter rabbit

QuoteAs long as you were courteous, said that you were occupying military billeting, and was friendly, you rarely would have a problem.

I've sometimes carries a copy of CAPR 147-1 with me to the clothing store, but have never known anyone need to show it. You aren't required to occupy military billeting to purchase articles of uniform, but are required to be billeted to buy exchange items. For uniforms, all you should need is your CAPID. If billeted and buying something in the exchange, showing your MSA, evidence of billeting, and CAPID  is all that is required - but I've rarely had to show an MSA or room key, etc - just the CAPID. If you have a problem after you show your paperwork, you are supposed to nicely ask for the manager.

Eclipse

You  might also try calling every MCSS you can find to see if they have one on the rack they can ship you.

"That Others May Zoom"

Rotorhead

Found mine at the Goodwill. Took a lot of searching, but eventually got jacket and slacks for $16.

Then  I spent $60 having them altered. Based on the card I found in a pocket, the active-duty Lt. Col. who owned it was, well, larger than me.

Of course, we have two USAF bases here, so our Goodwills see a lot more uniforms than others.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ