Shirt Garters - Do you wear 'em?

Started by Pylon, July 01, 2005, 02:47:04 AM

Do you wear shirt garters with your dress uniform. If so, how often?

Yeah, I wear 'em faithfully.
I only wear 'em for special occassions.
Nah. I go without and feel just fine.
I'm so different, I don't fit into these choices. See my lengthy explanation below.

Pylon

Well - this one's self-explanatory.  Have at it.  ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

Been wearing the Y type since I was a cadet... Bought a set of four of the straight ones to replace the Y onces.  I find the Y ones easier to set up, but they are getting stretched out a bit.

Anyone use one of those belt things instead of shirt garters?
Mike Johnston

Pace

I use the 4 individual straight ones.  I have since my freshman year in high school AFJROTC (6 years).  Every few years, I have to buy a new set because they get stretched out beyond usefulness.

I'm not sure what "belt things" you're referring to.  The only thing that comes to mind is suspenders, but that would only be for the mess dress and has nothing to do with tightly pulling down the shirt.
Lt Col, CAP

Pylon

I've only seen the "belt thing" in catalogues.  It's some kind of rubber thing that wraps around the waist, holding the shirt in and down, but it's below the belt-line of the pants - so it remains unseen.

Never met anyone who's used on though.  I'd be interested to know.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Cadet Bonnett

yeah i don't wear them. i don't see the point. I do just fine with out them....
Cadet A1C Christin Bonnett
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

El Campamento del Ala de NH aquí yo vengo.

MIKE

Quote from: Cheergirl on July 01, 2005, 01:49:38 PM

If you don't have blues yet or you wear the over-blouse, you don't need them anyway.

Mike Johnston

dwb

I wear garters all the time in dress uniforms, and when I wear civilian dress clothes for work (on occasion, I am required to dress respectably).

Quote from: Pylon on July 01, 2005, 03:39:44 AMI've only seen the "belt thing" in catalogues.  It's some kind of rubber thing that wraps around the waist, holding the shirt in and down, but it's below the belt-line of the pants - so it remains unseen.

I tried this technique once with two of those velcro boot blousers stuck together (yeah, my waist used to be narrow enough for that to work).  It kept my shirt tucked in, but it wasn't overly comfortable and I was always worried that the band would be showing.

That, and without the garters my socks were slumping.  I can't be showing a shiny shin, you know. :)

Greg

I've pretty much worn shirt garters every time i've put my blues on for the last three years or so.
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

Cadet Bonnett

Quote from: MIKE on July 01, 2005, 03:07:55 PM
Quote from: Cheergirl on July 01, 2005, 01:49:38 PM

If you don't have blues yet or you wear the over-blouse, you don't need them anyway.

I have them both...
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

Chris

i have like 12 shirt garters and they work very well.  at color guard competion i had on like 24>!>!> it was sweet

Cadet Bonnett

Why would you wear 24 shirt garters at a color guard competions. don't they bug you at all.
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

Westernslope

Quote from: CHRIS on July 04, 2005, 09:30:12 PM
i have like 12 shirt garters and they work very well.  at color guard competion i had on like 24>!>!> it was sweet

Now this is one hard core cadet!  :)

Cmdbuddy

Quote from: Cadetofthe60s on July 05, 2005, 08:27:34 PM

Now this is one hard core cadet!  :)

I did it once for fun, and I've never been so... tight before in my life.  I quite literally felt like I was going to snap at any point. 
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

abysmal

That goes just a bit beyond "Hard Core"
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

airforcecolors

They work so well. They make the uniform look really tight, which is always good for adding to the professional look. I think they are a necessity to blues.

*O, and I use 4 at regular meetings, 8 at special occasions, but i just credit to Chris for using 24. Thats intense!

C/2d Lt Kristin Ruesch
There are three kinds of people in this world...people that get things, people that watch others get things done, and people that wonder what just happened...WHICH ONE ARE YOU?

Major_Chuck

Sorry, Can't help but to laugh here.  The thought of them coming unsnapped and like a domino effect popping up the legs at the same time!

;D ;D ;D ;D
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Pace

Evil...  Do you have any idea how bad that would hurt if they were put on as tight as they should be? :o
Lt Col, CAP

Major_Chuck

Quote from: dcpacemaker on August 26, 2005, 10:26:56 PM
Evil...  Do you have any idea how bad that would hurt if they were put on as tight as they should be? :o

Well, wear 24 shirt garters and be prepared for the unexpected.  Yes it is evil.

-cc
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Schmidty06

A full 24 garters must be something like a workout.

Matt

24 shirt garters... how can you move?
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>