Any members here dual-hatted with CGAUX? What are your experiences?

Started by Holding Pattern, April 06, 2020, 09:29:49 PM

Holding Pattern

I've been thinking of stopping by (after this crisis) the local CGAUX to see what they do and what I might bring to the table with them as opposed to solely working through CAP in volunteer work.

Can anyone here tell me about their experience working with both orgs?

Have you been able to make any joint events happen between the orgs?

GroundHawg

I have been with CAP from 89-95 as a cadet and then from 10 until now as a SM with a break in there for my time in the Army and Air Force. I have also been in the CGAux since 00. The two organizations couldn't be more different in culture and expectations.
The CGAux is a force multiplier while the CAP is a cadet program, and the USCG absolutely appreciates and loves their auxiliarists whereas imo, the USAF looks at CAP as a nuisance.
Obviously, there are good and bad with both organizations, but it is definitely worth looking into. 

PhoenixRisen

I've been CAP since 2004 (SM since 2013) and was CGAux for 3 years back in San Diego.  I don't have nearly the amount of experience as others do, but I can definitely echo the sentiment that the two organizations are very different animals.  This was magnified with the particular flotilla I was a member of because they were/are onboard the local Coast Guard Air Station.

For someone like me that always wanted to go into the military, but coudn't because of medial disqualifications... I felt like my time in the CGAux was a great substitute for something I could never do in that it allows members to routunely serve right alongside their active duty counterparts.  On any given day, there were auxiliarists onboard the air station doing X, Y, or Z as a force multiplier.  While I do love CAP, and will probably continue on with it until I'm old and grey.... it doesn't quite give me the same feeling.  These feelings may be completely different, though, if you're looking at serving in the CGAux in an area that isn't near a Coast Guard facility.

Slim

Was in the CGAux for 5 years 1998-2003.  My experience was similar to what others have said.  Interaction with the active duty side was much better and more appreciated.  I had three boat stations, an Air Station and a group (now sector) HQ, plus a couple of cutters in my AOR, and worked with all of them at different times.  I was always able to find a way to get out and do patrols to try to prevent the SAR cases and other assists, marine events and other activities.

I enjoyed doing both, but life kinda got in the way and I decided that I couldn't continue to be active in both, and I had a lot more time invested in CAP.

Slim

RiverAux

The active duty interaction can vary significantly depending on where you are.  One the coasts it can be as great (though it can vary depending on the whims of whoever is in charge of the CG unit and their past experiences with Auxiliarists).  In the middle of the country, opportunity is fewer and farther between.  Some of these sorts of opportunities have decreased due to changes in how CG wants to handle things, but others have increased.  If you like to cook, you can just about write your own ticket to serve on CG cutters just about anytime and anywhere you want (though travel reimbursement for getting to and from may not always be available).   

Most Aux work is planned and is not anywhere near as emergency-focused as CAP.  So, if there is something the Aux does that you like to do, you can pretty much do it as often as you like. 

Much less paperwork than CAP as the CG handles most of it anyway.  The only real admin work I had to do as a flotilla commander was sign new member applications and mail them off. 

Aux flotillas can vary as much as CAP units in what their focus is and how active they are, so shop around. 

Personally, I lost the drive to spend so much time in CAP training for ES missions that had become increasingly rare.

James Shaw

I joined the CGAUX June of 2019. The first few months I was able to get all of my Basic Quals completed. The Flotilla I was part of disbanded and I was transferred to a Flotilla that is 2 1/2 hours away. I have not been able to attend a meeting and continue to work on my Marine Safety. I was looking forward to a new field of training and learning as well as sharing.

I was advised I could try and start a Flotilla close to my area but I am not ready for that.

I have been talked to about doing ICS and Psychological First Aid Training for the area when they start meeting again or a new Flotilla is started close to me.

I think there are going to be more opportunities in the future but not certain where those will be.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: RiverAux on April 12, 2020, 09:29:42 PMThe active duty interaction can vary significantly depending on where you are.  One the coasts it can be as great (though it can vary depending on the whims of whoever is in charge of the CG unit and their past experiences with Auxiliarists).  In the middle of the country, opportunity is fewer and farther between.  Some of these sorts of opportunities have decreased due to changes in how CG wants to handle things, but others have increased.  If you like to cook, you can just about write your own ticket to serve on CG cutters just about anytime and anywhere you want (though travel reimbursement for getting to and from may not always be available).   

Most Aux work is planned and is not anywhere near as emergency-focused as CAP.  So, if there is something the Aux does that you like to do, you can pretty much do it as often as you like. 

Much less paperwork than CAP as the CG handles most of it anyway.  The only real admin work I had to do as a flotilla commander was sign new member applications and mail them off. 

Aux flotillas can vary as much as CAP units in what their focus is and how active they are, so shop around. 

Personally, I lost the drive to spend so much time in CAP training for ES missions that had become increasingly rare.

Personally, I've not served with the CGAux but I clicked 'like' on this post because it matches, almost word for word, the experience my friend had with the CG Aux, on a unit based ~20 miles from where we both live.  As it happens, the unit met, and perhaps still does, in the auditorium of the facility where I worked until 2013.

N6RVT

Quote from: Holding Pattern on April 06, 2020, 09:29:49 PMI've been thinking of stopping by (after this crisis) the local CGAUX to see what they do and what I might bring to the table with them as opposed to solely working through CAP in volunteer work.

Can anyone here tell me about their experience working with both orgs?

Have you been able to make any joint events happen between the orgs?
Everything previously said is correct.  The only joint mission I have seen in 15 years was fairly recently when the USCG let CAP aircrew do the water survival training along with the AUX pilots.  It resulted in a good bit of cross recruiting in both directions.