Color Guard Drill

Started by xray328, April 25, 2019, 04:56:42 PM

xray328

After consulting CAPP 52-8 and the AF Honor Guard Manual it looks like any "About" command pivots around the center, I'm still seeing teams pivot around the inside guardsman though.  Is there a reason they'd be doing it that way? Maybe Honor Guard vs Color Guard?

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/P052_008_B38750453C56C.pdf

5.2.2. Left About: The command is Left About, MARCH. The left about is a sixteen-count wheel
movement. The Left About is done shoulder-to-shoulder turning to the left in a wheeling manner on the
NCE's command. The colors element rotates in a half-circle pivoting on the central point of the team.
After the turn is completed, the colors are given Forward March or Halted. This command is called on the
left foot.

Per the AF Honor Guard Manual:

https://www.honorguard.af.mil/Portals/21/images/Base-Honor-Guard/2016%20BHG%20MANUAL.pdf

4.13.7.2. Upon the command of execution, all team members should begin to rotate the team in a
wheeling manner to the left. It is very important that guards provide enough shoulder and hip
pressure to keep the team tight. The pivot point for this movement should be the center of the team.
The team should stay in a straight line through the duration of the movement and should not "bow"
in the middle. Upon the completion of the turn, either the command of Forward, MARCH or
Colors, HALT will be given on a left heel beat.

Also, for "Right Shoulder, Arms" some teams are placing both of the rifles on the right shoulder, but after consulting the AF Honor Guard Manual it clearly shows the rifle being on the outside shoulder (one left, one right).

4.11.13. Left Rifle Guard. The following movements are only performed by the left (trailing) rifle
guard. The left rifle guard will move to left shoulder when the flags are carried in the harnesses.
4.11.13.1. Left Shoulder Arms (From Attention). The command is Right Shoulder, ARMS. This
is a three-count movement performed from the position of Attention.

Thanks in advance.

Gunsotsu

CAPP 60-33 is the authority on D&C for CAP and has the answer to your question.

xray328

Thank you.  Higher authority told me to refer to the AF Honor Guard manual hence my confusion.  If CAPP 60-33 is the law on this then I'll go with that.

I assume that's what the NCC is using?

Gunsotsu

PHall

It was our reference at the California Wing comp.  I was one of the judges and that was our reference.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on April 25, 2019, 07:07:52 PM
It was our reference at the California Wing comp.  I was one of the judges and that was our reference.

Why?

It's bad enough to reference the AFIs when there is no CAP comment, but when there is
a clear CAP procedure, why would there be a reference to anything non-CAP?

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on April 25, 2019, 07:34:27 PM
Quote from: PHall on April 25, 2019, 07:07:52 PM

Why?

It's bad enough to reference the AFIs when there is no CAP comment, but when there is
a clear CAP procedure, why would there be a reference to anything non-CAP?

But we were not using the AFI. We used CAPP 60-33.  Stop reading in stuff that is not there.

I_Am_Twigs

There is a difference between Honor Guard drill and Color Guard drill.

Quote from: xray328 on April 25, 2019, 04:56:42 PM
After consulting CAPP 52-8 and the AF Honor Guard Manual it looks like any "About" command pivots around the center, I'm still seeing teams pivot around the inside guardsman though.  Is there a reason they'd be doing it that way? Maybe Honor Guard vs Color Guard?

(The way a proper Color Guard would execute an About Command)
CAPR 60-33  7.5.2., Civil Air Patrol Drill and Ceremonies:
7.5.2. Abouts. Color guards use Abouts to
change the direction of march of a color guard in
line, either from the halt or while marching. The half about rotates the formation 90 degrees to
the right or left. The about rotates the color guard 180 degrees to the right or left. Alignment is to
the flank of the direction commanded.

7.5.2.1. Half Right (Left) About. The command is Half Right (Left) About, MARCH. On
the command of execution the right (left) guard will remain in place and rotate to the right (left),
functioning as the pivot point. Other color guard members to the left (right) will arc to the right
(left). The color guard will maintain alignment. When performing a half left about, the
responsibility of dress reverts to the left flank on the preparatory command Half Left About. The
responsibility remains with the left flank until the color guard assumes mark time; then it reverts
to the right flank. Once the color guard has rotated 90 degrees the color guard will immediately
assume mark time. The color guard commander may command Color Guard, HALT, or Forward,
MARCH.

7.5.2.2. Right (Left) About. The command is identical to Half Right (Left) About, MARCH,
except the color guard rotates 180 degrees.

(The way a proper Honor Guard would execute an Wheel Command, which is similar to an About)
CAPP 52-8  5.2.3., Unit Honor Guard Program:
5.2.3. Right/Left Wheel: The command is Right/Left Wheel, MARCH. The Colors Element stand
shoulder to shoulder while marching or marking time. They wheel around to the right or left with the
pivot point being the central point (middle) of the colors element.

Quote from: xray328 on April 25, 2019, 04:56:42 PM
Also, for "Right Shoulder, Arms" some teams are placing both of the rifles on the right shoulder, but after consulting the AF Honor Guard Manual it clearly shows the rifle being on the outside shoulder (one left, one right).

This is optional for CAP Color Guards:

CAPR 60-33  7.5.2., Civil Air Patrol Drill and Ceremonies (underlined emphasis mine):
7.2.1. The color guard forms In Line at close interval with flags at the order and guards with
weapons at order arms. When at the carry in slings, guards with weapons may carry weapons at
right shoulder arms, or for symmetry the right guard at right shoulder arms, and the left guard at
left shoulder arms.
The color guard will not normally carry colors without slings, unless specific
circumstances prohibit the use of slings.

I believe that it is also allowed for Honor Guards, but I could not find anything specifically mentioning it.
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill