Started by Major Carrales, June 23, 2007, 07:54:19 AM

Major Carrales

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

The bars are old-time flight officer (aviation warrant officer back in the day, not the current FO system of today).

The stripes are very early USAF first sergeant's chevrons before the introduction of the current style stripes.

Pennsylvania Wing patch (design is still currently used)

Senior member ID patch, also known as the 'Pepsi Cola' patch.

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JohnKachenmeister

... And the CAP cutouts are senior member lapel insignia, prior to 1966.  In 1966 they went to a slightly smaller letter and dropped the period after each letter.
Another former CAP officer

Hawk200

The collar brass (the U.S. in the circle, and the wing and prop within a circle) are not actual CAP insignia. They're the insignia worn on the Army service dress that was still worn by former Army Air Corps personnel.

Those personnel were still wearing the Army uniform, as supplies of new Air Force uniforms hadn't been available yet.

MIKE

I thought USAAF Flight Officer was blue and gold instead of the brown WO insignias shown here.
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on June 23, 2007, 03:22:57 PM
I thought USAAF Flight Officer was blue and gold instead of the brown WO insignias shown here.

Actually, the flight officers of the USAAC was only two grades. One grade was the brown inset, the other was the blue and gold that you're remembering. When it came to the AAC, for the most part only the blue and gold was usually shown. Don't know why.

ColonelJack

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 23, 2007, 04:13:29 PM
Quote from: MIKE on June 23, 2007, 03:22:57 PM

Actually, the flight officers of the USAAC was only two grades. One grade was the brown inset, the other was the blue and gold that you're remembering. When it came to the AAC, for the most part only the blue and gold was usually shown. Don't know why.

Actually, the two grades of warrant officer (called Flight Officer only in the AAF) were 1) the grade you see in the picture, and 2) a gold oval bar bisected by a brown square.  The second grade of WO in the AAF used the same as the rest of the Army, only using the blue oval for the lower grade.

Or so says my handy-dandy desk reference on World War II insignia, anyway.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Hawk200

Quote from: ColonelJack on June 23, 2007, 04:15:41 PMActually, the two grades of warrant officer (called Flight Officer only in the AAF) were 1) the grade you see in the picture, and 2) a gold oval bar bisected by a brown square.  The second grade of WO in the AAF used the same as the rest of the Army, only using the blue oval for the lower grade.

Or so says my handy-dandy desk reference on World War II insignia, anyway.

Jack

Oops. My mistake.

alamrcn

After the AAF "ovals" were done and gone, these USAF insignia done gone and show'd up...

There were only Warrent Officer and Chief Warrent Officer at the time,  no Technical or Senior levels in Civil Ait Patrol yet.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Pumbaa

I love seeing this old stuff..

How about we bring back the Kacki's?

:)

Al Sayre

Quote from: 2d Lt <NOT SO> Fat but FUZZY on June 25, 2007, 10:53:43 PM
I love seeing this old stuff..

How about we bring back the Kacki's?

:)

OK by me.

BTW, your portal man forgot to wipe his face when he finished that chocolate bar...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Pumbaa

Yes, Captain I know.. wipe the face...  You see Portal man is doing Atkins so he can lose some weight so he can wear the Green Pickle Zoom Bag... 

Now that he qualifies by 2lbs and is no longer a fatty, he had one of those 1lbs Hersheys bars to celebrate.  The temps were in the 90's!! 

Needless to say you can see what the results are!

Should have stuck with M&M's no chocolate mess!

Major Carrales

Quote from: Al Sayre on June 25, 2007, 11:57:33 PM

BTW, your portal man forgot to wipe his face when he finished that chocolate bar...

I never got a custom portalperson  :(  well, actually  >:(

Still, life went on...

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Quote from: 2d Lt <NOT SO> Fat but FUZZY on June 25, 2007, 10:53:43 PMHow about we bring back the Kacki's?

Navy already has them. I don't want them. With the way I am on uniforms, blues pants are hard enough to keep clean. And that's when I'm doing paperwork.

Pumbaa

hahaha, yeah I forgot about that.. I have about 5 pairs of Khaki's for regular life and they do get dirty fast...

Ok I changed my mind...

pixelwonk

Quote from: Major Carrales on June 26, 2007, 12:04:02 AM

I never got a custom portalperson  :(  well, actually  >:(

Still, life went on...

Maybe if you whine loud enough you can get one of the jacked up ones that seem to appear here.

Major Carrales

Quote from: tedda on June 26, 2007, 01:30:20 AM

Still, life went on...

Maybe if you whine loud enough you can get one of the jacked up ones that seem to appear here.

Ahhh...I knew my comment would rouse you from the woodwork... Bwahahahahaha!!!! ;)

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RogueLeader

Still, life went on...
I want one to. .. . . . . . . . . . . . .
I even read you Imperial ::) Cadet Encampment Blogs.  You DO realize that This means War. . . .  ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340