ABU: Squadron patches and rocketry patch.

Started by Damron, July 24, 2016, 09:13:46 PM

Damron

While at NESA, I received a reply from National about the latest update.  They confirmed prohibition of ES patches and Ranger tabs on the ABU.  Errors and omissions accidentally excluded squadron patches and the rocketry patch, both are authorized.   They didn't specify the placement of the squadron patch.  Awaiting response on that item.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Damron on July 24, 2016, 09:13:46 PM
While at NESA, I received a reply from National about the latest update.  They confirmed prohibition of ES patches and Rangers tabs on the ABU.  Errors and omissions accidentally excluded squadron patches and the rocketry patch, both are authorized.   They didn't specify the placement of the squadron patch.  Awaiting response on that item.

As far as I can determine from the new change letter, which allows 1 full color patch on either the left or right breast pocket, you can wear the MRB on the left pocket, and your unit patch on the right. Both are centered on the pocket below the flap.

It's not rocket science. The language stipulates 1 patch, full color, on each pocket. People have fretted and worried that unit patches are going away. I don't think so. Could be wrong, but if the NUC de-authorizes unit patches, all hell will break loose IMO. They're trying to reduce the number of patches so we don't look like...well, like a bunch of wannabes with color. I'm only going to put on my name, CAP tape, rank insignia, and unit patch. I'm not even going to put on my S/GTL or observer wings.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Damron

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 24, 2016, 09:19:00 PM
It's not rocket science. The language stipulates 1 patch, full color, on each pocket. People have fretted and worried that unit patches are going away. I don't think so. Could be wrong, but if the NUC de-authorizes unit patches, all hell will break loose IMO. They're trying to reduce the number of patches so we don't look like...well, like a bunch of wannabes with color. I'm only going to put on my name, CAP tape, rank insignia, and unit patch. I'm not even going to put on my S/GTL or observer wings.

It's not rocket science, yet the July update was full of holes. 

It didn't mention squadron patches at all and they went out of their way to specify patches in 8-1 to 8-3 which don't include squadron patches (or the rocketry patch).

As I mentioned, National has responded that squadron patches were excluded by mistake. 

PHall

Quote from: Damron on July 24, 2016, 09:41:05 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on July 24, 2016, 09:19:00 PM

It's not rocket science, yet the July update was full of holes. 

It didn't mention squadron patches at all and they went out of their way to specify patches in 8-1 to 8-3 which don't include squadron patches (or the rocketry patch).

As I mentioned, National has responded that squadron patches were excluded by mistake.

Well, until that is published, it still means nothing. The Attachment to CAPM 39-1 that authorizes unit patches to be worn on BDU's, Attachment 4, is not even mentioned in either of the ABU Wear Instructions. And until it is, unit patches are not authorized on the ABU.

Chappie

Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

DakRadz

Quote from: Chappie on July 24, 2016, 11:00:50 PM
I like the clean, sanitized look :)
It's become quite popular in CAPSOC, combined with velcro name/branch tape.

You know, for downed aircraft in the dangerous US-Canadia borderlands.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Brad

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 24, 2016, 09:19:00 PMI'm not even going to put on my S/GTL or observer wings.

Observer wings are required on ABUs same as on everything else.

QuoteAviation and Occupational Badges. Two Aviation or Occupational badges embroidered in silver on dark blue may be worn sewn to the shirt ½ inch above the "Civil Air Patrol tape over the left breast pocket. The second badge will be centered ½ inch above the first badge. Chaplain and CAP aviation badges are mandatory and will always be worn in the highest position. Not more than a combined total of two of these badges will be worn on the wearer's left. When more than one CAP aviation badge is authorized, only one will be worn. If a military aviation badge (aeronautical, space or cyberspace) is worn, it will be worn in the second position. If chaplain badge is worn, it is worn in the higher position. Parachutist wings are optional; however, when worn will be placed above an occupational badge or below a chaplain, aeronautical, space or cyberspace badge. Occupational badges (excluding chaplain) are optional. All light silver on dark blue insignia will have 1/8 inch of blue showing at the widest and tallest point of the insignia.

Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

PHall

Quote from: Chappie on July 24, 2016, 11:00:50 PM
I like the clean, sanitized look :)

The only "required" insignia on the ABU are name tape, CAP tape, grade insignia and CAP Chaplain/Aviation badges.
Everything else is optional....  And I'm choosing the "not going to wear it" option!

Garibaldi

I could see that if you are a current MO/MP. Mine were earned nearly 20 years ago, and I am nowhere near current. I used to wear them all the time until that one SAREX where they were short an MO and I got the stink eye when I told them I was not current. Now they stay off, except on the aviator shirt.

Jester

The AF intentionally got rid of unit and majcom patches when it went to ABUs. Certain people groused and stomped their feet, "all hell breaking loose" was predicted, and after a year everyone was over it.

PHall

Quote from: Jester on July 25, 2016, 03:02:45 AM
The AF intentionally got rid of unit and majcom patches when it went to ABUs. Certain people groused and stomped their feet, "all hell breaking loose" was predicted, and after a year everyone was over it.

All hell was supposed to break loose when DADT was repealed. Didn't happen then either.

Luis R. Ramos

But... but... but we are CAP, not the Air Force!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

SarDragon

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 25, 2016, 02:43:40 AM
I could see that if you are a current MO/MP. Mine were earned nearly 20 years ago, and I am nowhere near current. I used to wear them all the time until that one SAREX where they were short an MO and I got the stink eye when I told them I was not current. Now they stay off, except on the aviator shirt.
Tell the nay-sayers to stuff it. Aeronautical badges, once awarded, are permanent, unless specifically revoked. Currency doesn't matter.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Sketch

Why would you not want to wear a rating you've earned?

Sketch

duplicate, delete

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Sketch on July 25, 2016, 06:28:31 AM
Why would you not want to wear a rating you've earned?

Refer back to the "simple, clean look" comments.

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on July 25, 2016, 03:50:08 AM
Tell the nay-sayers to stuff it. Aeronautical badges, once awarded, are permanent, unless specifically revoked. Currency doesn't matter.

+1 Not to mention you don't fill crew assignments by wandering around looking at uniforms and insignia.
Who is current in what qual is supposed to be a key document in Admin or Planning.

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

Quote from: Jester on July 25, 2016, 03:02:45 AM

And now they have "morale" t-shirts of various colors to promote unit pride and morale once a week.  A bright pink or neon green t-shirt with ABUs does not look better than the subdued patches we wore on BDUs.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on July 25, 2016, 03:15:42 PM

+1 Not to mention you don't fill crew assignments by wandering around looking at uniforms and insignia.
Who is current in what qual is supposed to be a key document in Admin or Planning.

This was well before WMIRS was even a thought. I'm a ground pounder, so I wear the GT badge. I am no longer AC qualified and probably never will be again.

Shuman 14

QuoteThey confirmed prohibition of ES patches and Ranger tabs on the ABU.

Is that the Hawk Mountain Ranger or the Military Ranger tab that is prohibited or both?
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

ColonelJack

Hear, hear!  A long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away), I was a current Senior Observer.  I am no longer qualified, and most likely won't ever be again.

That being said, the wings are on my uniforms, and there they will stay.

When I think of all the fun I had earning them, why in Heaven's name wouldn't I want to wear them?

If some other people get heartburn because they "need" an observer and I'm there but not qualified, that's their issue, not mine.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

arajca

Quote from: shuman14 on July 26, 2016, 12:01:08 AM

Is that the Hawk Mountain Ranger or the Military Ranger tab that is prohibited or both?
Both, although I don't think the military Ranger tab was ever authorized.

Sapper168

Quote from: arajca on July 26, 2016, 01:05:23 PM

Actually the Army Ranger tab is authorized on ABU's.  The 39-1 does not list specific cap uniforms (BDU, Blues, etc.) when speaking of military badges and tabs other than 'Air Force style' uniform.  The ABU is an Air Force style uniform.  The Ranger tab, along with many, many other sister service badges and tabs, is authorized by the Air Force since 2014 for permanent wear on its uniforms.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

stillamarine

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on July 26, 2016, 07:27:20 PM
Quote from: arajca on July 26, 2016, 01:05:23 PM

Actually the Army Ranger tab is authorized on ABU's.  The 39-1 does not list specific cap uniforms (BDU, Blues, etc.) when speaking of military badges and tabs other than 'Air Force style' uniform.  The ABU is an Air Force style uniform.  The Ranger tab, along with many, many other sister service badges and tabs, is authorized by the Air Force since 2014 for permanent wear on its uniforms.

I believe he was talking about CAP uniforms as the tab has never been authorized on CAP uniforms.

QuoteUS Military badges may be worn on USAF-style uniforms in accordance with authorizations
and instructions found in AFI 36-2903 when appropriate orders granted by competent military authority
are present in the member's CAP personnel record.

Well there's that. But I don't think the Ranger tab counts as a badge as it is a patch. So let's talk about patches, it seems the current instruction on CAP wear of patches on ABUs says:

QuoteLeft Sleeve. One full color, wing/region/national patch may be sewn to the coat on the left sleeve
½ inch below the shoulder seam reflecting the individual's current unit of assignment. Wing Commanders may
make wear of the wing patch mandatory for members of their wings.
Left Breast Pocket. One full color patch authorized in Attachment 8-1 through 8-4, with the
exception of the Emergency Services patches, Honor Guard Shield (attachment 8-4) and Ranger tabs, may be sewn
to the shirt centered on the lower portion of the left breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap
and pocket of ABU shirt. One Service Badge shown in Attachment A6-1, may be worn in this position with the
exception of the National Staff Badge which is worn on the right pocket.
Right Breast Pocket. One full color patch authorized in Attachment 8-1 through 8-3, with the
exception of the Emergency Services patches and Ranger tabs, the Model Rocketry Patch, or Unit/Organizational
Patch may be sewn to the shirt centered on the lower portion of the right breast pocket between left and right edges
and bottom of flap and pocket of ABU shirt. The National Staff Badge shown in attachment A6-1 is also authorized
to be worn in this position.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

LSThiker

Quote from: stillamarine on July 26, 2016, 07:40:22 PM
But I don't think the Ranger tab counts as a badge as it is a patch.

Strictly speaking, it is neither a badge or a patch.  Rather it is a tab. 

However, AFI 36-2903 lists it as a badge:

Chapter 10:
QuoteIf earned and awarded, tabs such as the  Army Ranger tab will be worn on the upper crest of the sleeve and may not interfere with wear of enlisted rank insignia.

Quote5.1.2.2.
Badges.   The   total   number   of   badges   worn   will   not   exceed   four.   The commander's insignia does not count as one of the four badges.  Badges will have a solid background,  and  will  have  the  edges  folded  and  sewn  down  with  no  more  than  ¼  inch space between embroidered emblem and badge edge. With  the exception of tabs worn on the  crest  of  the  upper  sleeve  (i.e.    Army  Ranger  tab)  badges  will  have  squared  edges.

Shuman 14

QuoteI believe he was talking about CAP uniforms as the tab has never been authorized on CAP uniforms. 

Yes I was, which is why I asked. I've seen plenty of Ranger Tabs, one Special Forces Tab, and zero (as of yet) Sapper Tabs on USAF personnel, so I wanted to know if CAP was following USAF practice of allowing the Tabs to be worn on the ABU.
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Garibaldi

Quote from: shuman14 on July 26, 2016, 10:18:17 PM
QuoteI believe he was talking about CAP uniforms as the tab has never been authorized on CAP uniforms. 

Yes I was, which is why I asked. I've seen plenty of Ranger Tabs, one Special Forces Tab, and zero (as of yet) Sapper Tabs on USAF personnel, so I wanted to know if CAP was following USAF practice of allowing the Tabs to be worn on the ABU.

There was a gent in Arkansas who wore his Ranger tab on his BDUs. I think I referenced it in another thread a few years ago.

stillamarine

Quote from: LSThiker on July 26, 2016, 08:47:49 PM
Quote from: stillamarine on July 26, 2016, 07:40:22 PM
But I don't think the Ranger tab counts as a badge as it is a patch.

Strictly speaking, it is neither a badge or a patch.  Rather it is a tab. 

However, AFI 36-2903 lists it as a badge:

Chapter 10:
QuoteIf earned and awarded, tabs such as the  Army Ranger tab will be worn on the upper crest of the sleeve and may not interfere with wear of enlisted rank insignia.

Quote5.1.2.2.
Badges.   The   total   number   of   badges   worn   will   not   exceed   four.   The commander's insignia does not count as one of the four badges.  Badges will have a solid background,  and  will  have  the  edges  folded  and  sewn  down  with  no  more  than  ¼  inch space between embroidered emblem and badge edge. With  the exception of tabs worn on the  crest  of  the  upper  sleeve  (i.e.    Army  Ranger  tab)  badges  will  have  squared  edges.

So I think that would make them ok maybe on BDUs, but there's no guidance for the ABUs. Sounds like a question for NHQ

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Sapper168

I did all the research and pouring over 3 different uniform manuals cross checking and everything to ensure proper placement of an Army skill tab.  And technically the tab is a army group 4 skill badge. ;)

The guidance for placement of an Army tab on the ABU or any air force style uniform is in the AFI-36-2903 which points to it being worn on the uniform in the same manner as on the issuing branches equivalent uniform. For an army tab you would look in AR670-1.   So in that regulation Tab placement is an embroidered cloth army ranger tab worn on the crest of the left sleeve of the ABU(ACU equivalent), An enamel full color tab badge would be worn below the ribbons on the left side of the service dress and blue service uniforms (ASU class A and B equivalent). 

In my case the tab says Sapper.  ;D 8) 8)

LSThiker

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on July 27, 2016, 12:30:35 AM
I did all the research and pouring over 3 different uniform manuals cross checking and everything to ensure proper placement of an Army skill tab.  And technically the tab is a army group 4 skill badge. ;)

Almost.  The Special Skill Tab Metal Replica is a group 4 skill badge, but the embroidered tab is classified as a tab:

QuoteFor purposes of classification and wear policy, the Sapper, Ranger, and Special Forces tab metal replicas are classified as group 4 special skill badges.

The reason for this separation is due to the fact that not all tabs have a metal replica.  For example, Airborne, Honor Guard, ARNG Honor Guard, Combined Division, Mountain tabs.  The Airborne and Mountain tabs are part of the SSI, while the honor guard and ARNG honor guard are position identifiers and are directly sewn onto the uniform.

Therefore, the TIOH and DoA have taken careful distinction between the tab and the metal replica.  Semantics I know.

Anyway, not really important I guess. 

GroundHawg

I was in a Red Horse unit where there were many Sapper Tabs (and a two Rangers) and almost everyone had jump wings but we were the exception for sure.

abdsp51

Quote from: GroundHawg on August 07, 2016, 10:04:35 PM

I was in a Red Horse unit where there were many Sapper Tabs (and a two Rangers) and almost everyone had jump wings but we were the exception for sure.

Hardly. There is the 820th SFG out of Moody and the various CRGs as well.  Not to mention the 60th SFS has produced 2 Rangers from within it's ranks. 

Though you may have seen plenty because that's were alot of Army folks went or RH was willing to shell out the money for people to attend the schools.

Meridius

Quote from: Damron on July 24, 2016, 09:13:46 PM
While at NESA, I received a reply from National about the latest update.  They confirmed prohibition of ES patches and Ranger tabs on the ABU.  Errors and omissions accidentally excluded squadron patches and the rocketry patch, both are authorized.   They didn't specify the placement of the squadron patch.  Awaiting response on that item.

Can you provide this?  The instructions are ambiguous.

Luis R. Ramos

Instructions are not ambiguous.

Until NHQ publishes a clarification, you cannot wear unit patch or rocket badge. Hearing from another member that someone in NHQ told him it was a mistake does serve the purpose of making others hope. It is not an authorization to wear those things.

It does not matter if NHQ forgot to include them, someone else tore up the message, a stray pulse hit the message scrambling it, whatever.

Those of us waiting for the unit patch authorization - and I am one of those waiting - cannot put it on until NHQ says we can.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Damron

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on August 09, 2016, 01:21:44 PM
Instructions are not ambiguous.

Until NHQ publishes a clarification, you cannot wear unit patch or rocket badge. Hearing from another member that someone in NHQ told him it was a mistake does serve the purpose of making others hope. It is not an authorization to wear those things.

It does not matter if NHQ forgot to include them, someone else tore up the message, a stray pulse hit the message scrambling it, whatever.

Those of us waiting for the unit patch authorization - and I am one of those waiting - cannot put it on until NHQ says we can.

Have you seen the July 20 update?

Damron

I have attached the July 20 update that addresses unit patches and rocket patches.   

Here is the text from an email sent by Susan P. Parker, HQ CAP Chief, Personnel & Member Actions"

"Attached is updated guidance that might answer some of these questions.  ES and Ranger tabs are not worn on the ABUs.  The Honor Guard shield in attachment A8-4 is worn on the white ascot and is not authorized on ABUs.  The Model Rocketry patch and squadron patches are authorized.

If you have any other questions please let me know."

kwe1009

Quote from: Damron on August 09, 2016, 02:44:13 PM
I have attached the July 20 update that addresses unit patches and rocket patches.   

Here is the text from an email sent by Susan P. Parker, HQ CAP Chief, Personnel & Member Actions"

"Attached is updated guidance that might answer some of these questions.  ES and Ranger tabs are not worn on the ABUs.  The Honor Guard shield in attachment A8-4 is worn on the white ascot and is not authorized on ABUs.  The Model Rocketry patch and squadron patches are authorized.

Unfortunately the rest of us can't go off of an email that only you received.  The current published guidance (20 July) states: "Right Breast Pocket. One full color patch authorized in Attachment 8-1 through 8-3, with the exception of the Emergency Services patches and Ranger tabs, the Model Rocketry Patch, or Unit/Organizational Patch may be sewn"

Unit/Organizational patches are not even listed in the referenced attachments so are not authorized.

I understand that this may not have been the intent but there has been no public clarification.  I think what NHQ meant to say was: "Right Breast Pocket. One full color Model Rocketry Patch, Unit/Organizational Patch, or one of the patches authorized in Attachment 8-1 through 8-3, with the exception of the Emergency Services patches and Ranger tabs, may be sewn"

Damron

Quote from: kwe1009 on August 09, 2016, 03:00:29 PM

Unfortunately the rest of us can't go off of an email that only you received.  The current published guidance (20 July) states: "Right Breast Pocket. One full color patch authorized in Attachment 8-1 through 8-3, with the exception of the Emergency Services patches and Ranger tabs, the Model Rocketry Patch, or Unit/Organizational Patch may be sewn"

Unit/Organizational patches are not even listed in the referenced attachments so are not authorized.

I understand that this may not have been the intent but there has been no public clarification.  I think what NHQ meant to say was: "Right Breast Pocket. One full color Model Rocketry Patch, Unit/Organizational Patch, or one of the patches authorized in Attachment 8-1 through 8-3, with the exception of the Emergency Services patches and Ranger tabs, may be sewn"

I am not encouraging anybody to act based on CapTalk posts, including mine. I thought I would share emerging information from NHQ that is likely to make its way into 39-1. 

Instead of seeking definitive guidance on CapTalk, I contacted NHQ for clarification.  I will apply the information provided by NHQ within my unit.

kwe1009

Quote from: Damron on August 09, 2016, 03:19:49 PM
Quote from: kwe1009 on August 09, 2016, 03:00:29 PM

I am not encouraging anybody to act based on CapTalk posts, including mine. I thought I would share emerging information from NHQ that is likely to make its way into 39-1. 

Instead of seeking definitive guidance on CapTalk, I contacted NHQ for clarification.  I will apply the information provided by NHQ within my unit.

Something like this really needs to be either sent to everyone from NHQ or at least added to the CAP Knowledgebase.  Very simple things that seem to always get missed for some reason by NHQ.

Meridius

As per National Uniform Committee presentation at the National Convention here in Nashville, Ranger Tabs ARE NOT authorized on the ABU.

Sapper168

So Everyone keeps talking about 'Ranger Tab'.  Half are talking about the CAP Ranger Tab, previously called the CAP Ranger Tape, name changed with current uniform manual, which is earned in the CAP Ranger program and the US Army Ranger Tab which is earned in the Army.    Please people use the correct name to eliminate confusion.

Eclipse

Decisions, decisions...

Is this

Hedgehog's dilemma. Hobson's Choice, Morton's Fork or Traveler's Dilemma?

It's certainly a textbook case of "be careful what you ask for..."

"That Others May Zoom"

LATORRECA

Wow some people complicate thing in this forum. Damron, I'm with you keep up with the good flow of information, since others don't take their time to contact HHQ to help clarified this non sense dilemma.

By the way no need of a Tab or tape. Just make sure you know your stuff when the time comes. Keep the uniform clean.   >:D >:D :-X :-X :-X

Meridius

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on August 12, 2016, 09:13:58 PM
So Everyone keeps talking about 'Ranger Tab'.  Half are talking about the CAP Ranger Tab, previously called the CAP Ranger Tape, name changed with current uniform manual, which is earned in the CAP Ranger program and the US Army Ranger Tab which is earned in the Army.    Please people use the correct name to eliminate confusion.

Both are unauthorized on the ABU unless you are adsigned to the 75th Ranger Regiment.  HMRS was the one I was referring too. 

Jester

Quote from: Meridius on August 12, 2016, 09:52:21 PM

Both are unauthorized on the ABU unless you are adsigned to the 75th Ranger Regiment.  HMRS was the one I was referring too.

Both of what?  And US Army Ranger tabs are authorized on ABUs. Have been for the last few years.

PHall

Quote from: Jester on August 12, 2016, 10:49:48 PM

Both of what?  And US Army Ranger tabs are authorized on ABUs. Have been for the last few years.

They're authorized on Air Force ABU's.

Jester

Quote from: PHall on August 12, 2016, 10:57:59 PM
Quote from: Jester on August 12, 2016, 10:49:48 PM

They're authorized on Air Force ABU's.

Per 39-1:

"10.8. Additional Badge Information
10.8.1. US Military badges may be worn on USAF-style uniforms in accordance with authorizations and instructions found in AFI 36-2903 when appropriate orders granted by competent military authority are present in the member's CAP personnel record."

This is literally the simplest thing on the planet. If 36-2903 says it's ok, which it does, then 39-1 carries that through for AF-style uniforms. I'm not understanding any other interpretations.

Nick

Quote from: Jester on August 13, 2016, 12:54:44 AM
Per 39-1:

10.8.1. US Military badges may be worn on USAF-style uniforms in accordance with authorizations and instructions found in AFI 36-2903 when appropriate orders granted by competent military authority are present in the member's CAP personnel record."

This is literally the simplest thing on the planet. If 36-2903 says it's ok, which it does, then 39-1 carries that through for AF-style uniforms. I'm not understanding any other interpretations.

Unfortunately it's never that easy; there's always a different way to interpret something. :)

The authorization in 39-1 is for "US military badges".  The Ranger Tab worn on the utility uniform is not a badge, it's a tab (or patch).  Badges are those things that go above or on pockets, not sleeves.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

Quote from: McLarty on August 13, 2016, 01:06:15 AM
Per 39-1:

Unfortunately it's never that easy; there's always a different way to interpret something. :)

The authorization in 39-1 is for "US military badges".  The Ranger Tab worn on the utility uniform is not a badge, it's a tab (or patch).  Badges are those things that go above or on pockets, not sleeves.

Attachment 5 of 36-2903 specifically lists the Ranger tab as a qualification badge.

What I'm seeing is people either not up to date or applying different service terminology to AF policy. Again, this has been broken down Barney-style. Don't make it more complicated.

Eclipse

Where does it go on the field uniform if the wing requires the wing patch?

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: Jester on August 13, 2016, 01:19:34 AM

Quote from: McLarty on August 13, 2016, 01:06:15 AM
Per 39-1:

Attachment 5 of 36-2903 specifically lists the Ranger tab as a qualification badge.

What I'm seeing is people either not up to date or applying different service terminology to AF policy. Again, this has been broken down Barney-style. Don't make it more complicated.

The verbiage calls it a tab and considers it a patch you are incorrect.

Jester

Disagree. Attachment 5 has a non-inclusive list of what it considers qualification badges. Some are tabs, some are badges, etc. which can be considered different styles of the same object. Metal tabs are available for wear on service uniforms in the same manner as traditional badges.

They're all under the same umbrella. The AF doesn't really care to get worked up about the 8 zillion different flavors of flair.

The Raven tab wear instructions mention wear of sister service tabs, tabs are frequently shown on official AF news stories, they're authorized by the AF and therefore CAP. Period point blank.

LSThiker

While it may be the normal of CAPTalk to argue about rather insignificant aspects, is it really that important whether or not the Army Ranger tab can be worn on CAP ABUs?  Or would this time better be served discussing CAP specific issues regarding the CAP ABUs?  If and/or when someone specifically asks about wearing his or now her tab on CAP ABUs, then we can discuss this topic and argue the semantics of it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Shuman 14

QuoteThe Ranger Tab worn on the utility uniform is not a badge, it's a tab (or patch).  Badges are those things that go above or on pockets, not sleeves.

It's actually both. Since the Army transitioned to the ASU and the Service Greens were eliminated, the Tabs (i.e. Ranger, Special Forces, Sapper, President's Hundred and Governor's Twenty [National Guard only]) are worn subdued, as a shoulder tab, on the ACU but is worn as a full color enamel and metal badge on the ASU which is pinned on the left side normally below the ribbons on the pocket flap.

Joseph J. Clune

Eclipse

Quote from: Jester on August 13, 2016, 02:08:59 AM
Disagree. Attachment 5 has a non-inclusive list of what it considers qualification badges. Some are tabs, some are badges, etc. which can be considered different styles of the same object. Metal tabs are available for wear on service uniforms in the same manner as traditional badges.

They're all under the same umbrella. The AF doesn't really care to get worked up about the 8 zillion different flavors of flair.

The Raven tab wear instructions mention wear of sister service tabs, tabs are frequently shown on official AF news stories, they're authorized by the AF and therefore CAP. Period point blank.

Quote from: Eclipse on August 13, 2016, 01:42:03 AM

"That Others May Zoom"

stillamarine

Instead of repeating the EXACT same argument we had a couple weeks ago why doesn't someone send the question to NHQ and get guidance? Worse than K5 in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Jester

My assumption is that the tab would be a half-inch below the shoulder seam with the wing patch grounded and centered below the tab.

Eclipse

Quote from: Jester on August 13, 2016, 02:42:48 AM

My assumption is that the tab would be a half-inch below the shoulder seam with the wing patch grounded and centered below the tab.

Cite please.  There is no allowance for either the tab by itself or to have two patches in that place.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Quote from: shuman14 on August 13, 2016, 02:24:37 AM
It's actually both. Since the Army transitioned to the ASU and the Service Greens were eliminated, the Tabs (i.e. Ranger, Special Forces, Sapper, President's Hundred and Governor's Twenty [National Guard only]) are worn subdued, as a shoulder tab, on the ACU but is worn as a full color enamel and metal badge on the ASU which is pinned on the left side normally below the ribbons on the pocket flap.

The Governor's Twenty does not have an associated metal tab and is only authorized in 14 states.  The same with the Iowa's Governor X and the Missouri Governor's 12 tabs. 

Jester

Quote from: Eclipse on August 13, 2016, 02:43:44 AM

Cite please.  There is no allowance for either the tab by itself or to have two patches in that place.

I said it was an assumption (if I was going to recommend a policy on it, I'd probably refer to the old AR 670-1 from when the army sewed tabs and unit patches on the same shoulder, and just port that over).

But I've done a couple of cites in this conversation that have basically been met with fingers in ears, eyes squeezed shut, and screams of "LALALALALA", so you'll forgive me if I'm done jumping through hoops.

Nick

Quote from: shuman14 on August 13, 2016, 02:24:37 AM

It's actually both.

Yeah I had a whole paragraph written up about the "metal replica" of a tab. I left it out for simplicity sake since we were talking about utility uniforms. :)

Texas Wing Staff Guy

Shuman 14

QuoteThe Governor's Twenty does not have an associated metal tab

Are you sure? I saw an enamel and metal tab last time I was at Atterbury a couple of months ago.
Joseph J. Clune

LSThiker

Quote from: shuman14 on August 13, 2016, 03:18:33 AM
QuoteThe Governor's Twenty does not have an associated metal tab

Are you sure? I saw an enamel and metal tab last time I was at Atterbury a couple of months ago.

Sure it was the Governor's Twenty?  There are other similar shooting concepts such as the Iowa and Missouri.  Also some states have a shooting tab award by the State's AG.  Other states award a State Ribbon for the personnel that are awarded the Governor's Twenty tab for their ASUs.  So I would like to see a picture as it would be the first  Governor's Twenty metal replica badge I have seen.

Never seen one both in actual despite knowing a few Governor's Twenty personnel and never seen one being sold.  If there is one, then that specific state's NG created it.  It would not be the norm from my understanding.  Not saying a state did not create one for their personnel.  After all, VTNG created the Ram's Head badge. 

Sapper168

Actually as far as placement goes AFI 36-2903 says to refer to the sister services wear policy which in this case would be the AR 670-1.

Damron

I wouldn't mind if CAP eliminated armed services and non-CAP-specific  items from CAP uniforms.   

Meridius

Quote from: Damron on August 13, 2016, 04:38:52 PM
I wouldn't mind if CAP eliminated armed services and non-CAP-specific  items from CAP uniforms.

I would.

I earned my jump wings (combat 1st award), served in a forward combat unit (3-319th Airborne Field Artillery Regiment attached to 1-504th Parachute Infantry Regiment), my foreign awards, and all of my decorations.  I served 3 years in Germany.  We are authorized to wear the uniform of our parent unit, therefore CAN and SHOULD wear all applicable awards and decorations to the United States Air Force standards.  Nothing more, nothing less.

I have not worn my combat identification badge (those of you in the club will know which division).  And, no one has ever releaved me of my oath to defend the Constitution of our great nation.

grunt82abn

Quote from: Meridius on August 13, 2016, 11:47:02 PM

I would.

I earned my jump wings (combat 1st award), served in a forward combat unit (3-319th Airborne Field Artillery Regiment attached to 1-504th Parachute Infantry Regiment), my foreign awards, and all of my decorations.  I served 3 years in Germany.  We are authorized to wear the uniform of our parent unit, therefore CAN and SHOULD wear all applicable awards and decorations to the United States Air Force standards.  Nothing more, nothing less.

I have not worn my combat identification badge (those of you in the club will know which division).  And, no one has ever releaved me of my oath to defend the Constitution of our great nation.

Spot on brother!!! AATW!!! 1-505 PIR 89-92, 1-509 PIR, 92-94, CIB, among other stuff. I wear corporate, so I don't get to put all my cool guy stuff on.
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

abdsp51

I have my AF stuff I can wear and I choose not to.  My work in the AF doesn't impact CAP and my work in CAP doesn't impact the AF.  CAP service provides a good Community involvement bullet and to a degree leadership bullet but that's as far as it goes.

Personally  I think the AF needs to allow the wear of earned combat patches but it will not happen.  At least with the last couple of rewrites they have allowed the CIB and the CAB to be worn, as well as earned tabs.   

And wasn't the 1-504th at the heart of a huge scandal and investigation because of the misconduct of some in Afghanistan?

Eclipse

I would.

No one says you didn't, but your post is as if the above have any relevance to CAP, or as if you deserve to be able to wear them.  It's a privilege and a value-add, not a "right", per se.
What other organizaiton would allow you to do the same?

ARC?  Nope.

CERT?  Probably not, depends on the host, maybe some ribbons if the host wears an LEO-type uniform.

CAP is a non-combatant, benevolent service - there's no "Constitution defending" on the To Do list.
Push back a little less hard and understand the context of the organizaiton you've agreed to become a part of.

And consider that absent CAP membership, the only place you'd wear your decorations would be parades and the like.

"That Others May Zoom"

Damron

I would.

I certainly appreciate your service and I'm familiar with our uniform regulations.   My opinion does not minimize my respect for those that have served.

As far as not being relieved of your oath, unless you are a retired commissioned officer, wouldn't your MSO relieve you of your obligation?

If your prior or current service entitles you to wear your uniform, I wouldn't mind it.  i find it a bit odd seeing prior service wearing awards that they can't wear anyplace else but a CAP uniform.  I recognize wearing military awards is well established, just voicing an opinion that isn't uncommon but rarely spoken.

grunt82abn

Quote from: abdsp51 on August 14, 2016, 12:00:09 AM
I have my AF stuff I can wear and I choose not to.  My work in the AF doesn't impact CAP and my work in CAP doesn't impact the AF.  CAP service provides a good Community involvement bullet and to a degree leadership bullet but that's as far as it goes.

Personally  I think the AF needs to allow the wear of earned combat patches but it will not happen.  At least with the last couple of rewrites they have allowed the CIB and the CAB to be worn, as well as earned tabs.   

And wasn't the 1-504th at the heart of a huge scandal and investigation because of the misconduct of some in Afghanistan?

The 504th uncovered the scandal, they weren't apart of it.
Sean Riley, TSGT

grunt82abn

Quote from: Damron on August 14, 2016, 12:05:34 AM

I would.

I certainly appreciate your service and I'm familiar with our uniform regulations.   My opinion does not minimize my respect for those that have served.

As far as not being relieved of your oath, unless you are a retired commissioned officer, wouldn't your MSO relieve you of your obligation?

That's not entirely true, like and officer, when I retired as an NCO, I was placed into the same retired reserves, and now my MSO is indefinite.
Sean Riley, TSGT

Damron

Quote from: grunt82abn on August 14, 2016, 12:17:00 AM

I would.

That's not entirely true, like and officer, when I retired as an NCO, I was placed into the same retired reserves, and now my MSO is indefinite.

That's interesting, I wasn't aware that it was extended beyond retired commissioned (unrestricted)  line officers.

stillamarine

I would.

I earned my Gold Wings, CAR and quite a few other pieces of flair. My first year or so in CAP I wore them. Yeah, I wanted everyone to know I was the big bad combat Marine. I've kicked names and taken butts.........wait I think I got that wrong. Anyways, I've learned that those pieces of medal and ribbon don't have jack to do with CAP. Nor do they define who I am. They represent a time in my life I'm very proud of, that molded me into the leader I am now. I could care less about wearing them with a CAP uniform, I personally have no issue with the only things being on our uniforms being those items that are earned as a CAP member.

No one relieved you of your oath to defend the Constitution but I don't believe your oath as a Senior Member had anything to do with defending anything, which is the oath you are honoring in a CAP uniform.

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

LSThiker

If an officer completes his MSO and decides to leave, he/she is put into IRR with an indefinite date.  A commissioned officer would then have to submit paperwork to actually resign his/her commission.  It does not apply to just retired commissioned officers. 

Damron

Quote from: LSThiker on August 14, 2016, 12:48:52 AM

If an officer completes his MSO and decides to leave, he/she is put into IRR with an indefinite date.  A commissioned officer would then have to submit paperwork to actually resign his/her commission.  It does not apply to just retired commissioned officers. 

Yes, I shouldn't have used the term MSO when I meant separation without further obligation.   

Eclipse

I know about IRR, but what's "retired reserve"?

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

Meh, I see CAP as a kind of continuation of my AF service. I wear all my stuff and don't give it any thought other than that's what I have and it is what it is.

LSThiker

Quote from: Eclipse on August 14, 2016, 01:16:08 AM

Members of the National Guard and Reserves are assigned to one of three reserve component categories:

Selected Reserve (AGR, IMA, and TPUs)
Ready Reserve (inactive but not retired)
Retired Reserve (retired)

grunt82abn

Retired Reserve is the IRR for retirees. You still get some benefits which makes a reserve retirement better. I was one of the many that put in for a normal retirement, and was put into the IRR based on critical skill MOS's back when OIF and OEF were still going heavy. So I got that going for me!

Sean Riley, TSGT

grunt82abn

Quote from: LSThiker on August 14, 2016, 01:22:43 AM

Members of the National Guard and Reserves are assigned to one of three reserve component categories:

Much better explanation than I gave. My brain is fried from a very long 72 hour shift!!!

Sean Riley, TSGT

skymaster

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on August 13, 2016, 02:23:31 PM

Actually as far as placement goes AFI 36-2903 says to refer to the sister services wear policy which in this case would be the AR 670-1.

Here is an AF news story with the Ranger tab being worn on ABUs in accordance with AF Regs.  http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/473252/airman-ranger-completes-grueling-army-training-school.aspx  I would agree that the wing patch should be shifted down an appropriate amount. Back in the day, I actually saw a Wing patch shifted down in that manner, as instructed at that time by NHQ for a few members of my Wing who had earned Airborne, Ranger, and Special Forces tabs. (My squadron was located in a military town which was the location of one of the schools for those specialties, so we had quite a few retired operators in our squadron who had earned such distinctions in Army service).

Eclipse

Quote from: skymaster on August 14, 2016, 04:46:28 AM
Here is an AF news story with the Ranger tab being worn on ABUs in accordance with AF Regs.

"That Others May Zoom"

Meridius

Airborne "tab" only goes on (any) uniform if you are assigned to that unit.  101st "Airborne" Division is now the 101st "Air Assault" Division and wears (or will be wearing) "air assault."  When you leave an airborne unit, you put on the gaining unit's organizational patch and remove the airborne tab.  Ranger, Special Forces and Sapper (probably a couple of others) remain on the field duty uniforms and are metal tabs on the Class A uniform (Army).  Air Force does not keep the attached unit's patches and several badges are removed from the uniform when reassigned (I will the my Air Force Brethren discuss that if they choose).

Y'all were busy last night!

Oath of Enlistment:

I, (your name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." (10 U.S.C. 502.  Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962).

Oath of Office (Office of Personnel Management)

I, (your name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.  (5 U.S.C. §3331).

They were initially created in 1789, by the 1st United States Congress the constitutional requirement of military and civilian billets and has been slightly modified since.  There was no standing army at the time and were made up of state levies of citizen soldiers (hence the 2nd Amendment) contracted for service.  There is no oath of delistment or leaving office.  Only adjudication through due process, as well as your freedom, or death will relieve anyone of their burdens of the oath.  The framers of the Constitution were statesmen and visionaries, not the ridiculous, self-serving politicians of today.  Many served in the Revolution or materially supported it. 

We really moved far on this thread from the initial subject.

Nick

Quote from: Damron on August 14, 2016, 12:29:16 AM
That's interesting, I wasn't aware that it was extended beyond retired commissioned (unrestricted)  line officers.

Here's another way to look at it. As long as Uncle Sugar sends you a check, you owe him something. In this case, it's keeping your name below the standby reserve list.

Texas Wing Staff Guy

LSThiker

Quote from: Meridius on August 14, 2016, 12:22:31 PM
Airborne "tab" only goes on (any) uniform if you are assigned to that unit.  101st "Airborne" Division is now the 101st "Air Assault" Division and wears (or will be wearing) "air assault." 

Airborne tab is part of the SSI and does not refer to being assigned to that unit.  That is, as a SSI-FWTS a person still continues wearing the tab even though no longer assigned to that unit. 

Also, the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) will remain as such.  There are no plans to change the SSI and not one recommendation has been sent to the TIOH for a change that I am aware of.  The Division wants to keep its current SSI as a manner of tradition and the Army has no plans to force them.  Back in May 2016, there was a hoax going around that the Army Times reported a change to the SSI.  This was a spoof from ThemGrunts.com with extremely good Photoshop skills to make the tab look real. 

There was a period of time in the Army that any unit that was on "jump status" would start wearing the Airborne Tab (e.g. 44th Med).  This was wrong as the DoA never approved an Airborne Tab as part of the SSI.  In 2011, ALARACT 435/2011 came out that put an end to this overuse of Airborne Tabs:

Quote1. THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO CLARIFY THE POLICY FOR WEAR OF
THE AIRBORNE TAB.

2. THE SAPPER, RANGER, SPECIAL FORCES AND PRESIDENT'S HUNDRED TABS
ARE THE ONLY SPECIAL SKILL OR MARKSMANSHIP TABS AUTHORIZED FOR
PERMANENT WEAR. THE AIRBORNE TAB IS CONSIDERED AN INTEGRAL PART OF
THE SHOULDER SLEEVE INSIGNIA (SSI). AIRBORNE TABS ARE ONLY AUTHORIZED
TO BE WORN ABOVE THE SSI IF ASSIGNED TO ONE OF THE UNITS BELOW:

18TH AVIATION BRIGADE
82D AIRBORNE DIVISION
95TH CIVIL AFFAIRS BRIGADE
101ST AIRBORNE DIVISION
173D AIRBORNE BRIGADE COMBAT TEAM
360TH CIVIL AFFAIRS BRIGADE
528TH SUSTAINMENT BRIGADE
JOINT READINESS TRAINING CENTER OPERATIONS GROUP & HEADQUARTERS
SPECIAL FORCES GROUPS (AIRBORNE)
US ARMY CIVIL AFFAIRS & PSYCHOLOGICAL COMMAND
US ARMY ELEMENT, SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND AFRICA
US ARMY ELEMENT, SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND CENTRAL
US ARMY ELEMENT, SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND EUROPE
US ARMY ELEMENT, SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND KOREA
US ARMY ELEMENT, SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND PACIFIC
US ARMY ELEMENT, SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND SOUTH
US ARMY ELEMENT, SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND, JOINT FORCES COMMAND
US ARMY ELEMENT, US SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND
US ARMY JOHN F. KENNEDY SPECIAL WARFARE CENTER
US ARMY PARACHUTE TEAM
US ARMY SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND
XVIII AIRBORNE CORPS

3. WEAR OF THE AIRBORNE TAB WITH ANY OTHER SSI IS NOT AUTHORIZED.
REQUEST COMMANDERS ENSURE THAT POLICY FOR WEAR IS ADHERED TO, AND
ANY UNIT OR SOLDIER NOT AUTHORIZED TO WEAR THE AIRBORNE TAB
REMOVES IT.

Shuman 14

Quote from: LSThiker on August 14, 2016, 01:22:43 AM

This should explain it:

http://www.arpc.afrc.af.mil/About/FactSheets/Display/tabid/310/Article/580958/retired-reserve.aspx
Joseph J. Clune