Main Menu

OLD Uniforms

Started by SAR-EMT1, May 26, 2007, 06:55:32 AM

SAR-EMT1

Being as I am a newer member -6 years-  I would like to learn something and call upon those more experience then I for assistance.
I know we hear daily ideas and thoughts on what some folks would just love to see added to our uniforms - be they AF or Corporate or whatever.

I would like to flip the bit and ask about OLD uniforms for a moment.

What old uniforms or features of old uniforms or bling from old uniforms would you like to see make a comeback.  Also, were there any items that were killed off that you thank heaven for?
- discussion of old ID cards is also allowed.
Thank you...

Discuss
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

ELTHunter

They were way before my time, but I'd like to see the khaki summer uniform come back as a USAF uniform.  However, since the USAF doesn't plan to go back to it, that's only wishfull thinking.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

AlphaSigOU

Two words: guayabera shirts. (Not that I have a problem with 'em, it just ain't a uniform!)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Hawk200

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 26, 2007, 12:48:28 PM
Two words: guayabera shirts. (Not that I have a problem with 'em, it just ain't a uniform!)

Agreed. I always thought they looked way too casual. The polo shirts are casual, but they still maintain a certain professional appearance that's in line with what a lot of companies are doing these days, uniform wise.

As far as old things, I really liked the old jungle fatigues. They actually looked pretty good with the blue insignia. And they could be starched nicely (I once made a set stand up by themselves after ironing them for awhile). Would love to see them again, but they wouldn't be practical, considering there are probably very few places that make them anymore. But I really liked them.

Stonewall

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 26, 2007, 01:44:43 PM
As far as old things, I really liked the old jungle fatigues. They actually looked pretty good with the blue insignia. And they could be starched nicely (I once made a set stand up by themselves after ironing them for awhile). Would love to see them again, but they wouldn't be practical, considering there are probably very few places that make them anymore. But I really liked them.

+1  Jungles were my favorite too.  Would love to have those back.

Serving since 1987.

Major Carrales

Last year at Civil Air Portal I started some comentary on older uniforms that evolved into this yet to be completed "CAP Uniform History."

http://wiki.cadetstuff.org/index.php?title=CAP_Uniform_History

I should very much like to complete it this summer.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

ELTHunter

Great site Joe!  Thanks for bringing it up.

I had one of the old 1950's era USAF Officer's cotton khaki shirts of my Dad's.  I wore it until it was thread bare.  I've looked on the internet to try and find another one but have been unsuccessful.  You can find replicas made of wool, but I've not located a cotton one.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170

ELTHunter

What does the second "C" stand for in the CAPC cut out?  Corporation? Corp? Cadet?
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170

Hawk200

Quote from: ELTHunter on May 26, 2007, 02:38:08 PM
What does the second "C" stand for in the CAPC cut out?  Corporation? Corp? Cadet?

"Cadet". The old CAPC cutout was phased out some time ago. It wasn't deemed practical to have two separate collar cutouts.

Major Carrales

If anyone has pics of older CAP uniforms we can continue the effort here.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

MIKE

I wasn't around for any of these, but I like the jungles... both the early and later styles.  Pretty much anything khaki. Ike/ETO jackets... OD or blue, doesn't matter.

I also like the winter blue shirt.  Well, I know I like the USCG version anyway.  Problem is I can't find any in my size.  :(
Mike Johnston

Camas

Quote from: ELTHunter on May 26, 2007, 11:27:25 AM
They were way before my time, but I'd like to see the khaki summer uniform come back as a USAF uniform.

So would I; I wore both versions of those back 45 years ago.  The 1505's were a cotton/polyester blend worn roughly from about 1962 to the late 70's and was a very comfortable uniform.  It's predecessor, the 505's, was a similar uniform except it was all-cotton and had to be starched.  The 505's were also available in bermuda shorts and a bush jacket which was a safari-type jacket with a big belt around it. The 505's were around from the mid 50's to the mid 60's.

Quote from: MIKE on May 26, 2007, 03:42:59 PM
I also like the winter blue shirt.

I also fondly remember the dark blue longsleeved winter shirt.  That was a great uniform component worn as a "Class B" blue uniform and yes, that's was it was called back in those days.

Eclipse

Wa-wa-wait - I just looked this up?  We had those as a "uniform"?

Pics?

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on May 26, 2007, 04:12:45 PM

Pics?

One word: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!    ;D

MIKE

I can't believe I missed the part about the bling!  :o The obvious ones:  Blue epaulet sleeves, blue nametags and metal grade.

A derivative of the old white on blue cloth cadet grade chevrons.  Not necessarily sewn on though.  Possibly as epaulet sleeves or something similar to the ACU ranks or Brit CS95.  I think some of the old ribbons could return... In concept, but not necessarily design.  Also those cadet position badges or a derivative thereof.
Mike Johnston

LtCol White

Pics?

posting photos of this would constitute harrassment, and cruel and unusual punishement. I'm sure that even NHQ has destroyed all images or references to it being a uniform item. It was HIDEOUS !!!!
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

ZigZag911

By all means, let's bring back the khaki!

JC004

Quote from: LtCol White on May 26, 2007, 08:08:44 PM

Pics?

posting photos of this would constitute harrassment, and cruel and unusual punishement. I'm sure that even NHQ has destroyed all images or references to it being a uniform item. It was HIDEOUS !!!!

Agree.

RiverAux

Well National has the good sense to only use Black and White photos of the old uniforms....  ;)  The horror isn't quite so obvious that way.

JohnKachenmeister

CAPC cutouts went away in 1966.  So did the sew-on patches for "Cadet Civil Air Patrol" and the "Pepsi Cola" patch for SM's.  All on the same order.

The old "CAP" cutouts for SM's also had periods separating the letters.  The new CAP cutouts eliminated the periods.

The uniform patches were replaced with rectangular identification badges.

I don't know when the badges went away.  I think I was overseas expending ordnance when that happened.

If someone can tell me the year, I can tell you what country it was.
Another former CAP officer