Why do we to take care of our uniforms?

Started by usafcap1, February 03, 2015, 11:40:20 AM

usafcap1

Why do we to take care of our uniforms? Is there a real reason for it? Besides the fact that regulations say that we have to.

But what's the real reason?

PS I'm not a "noob", I've been in for six outstanding years. I just want your opinion?
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

NIN

Why do you take care of anything? Because you want it to look the best, and last as long as possible.

We wash our uniforms because clean uniforms last longer. I'm not talking about BDUs starched to the moon, but uniforms that have been cleaned to remove dirt.

A uniform that is not clean won't last as long because dirt and other material get into the fibers and break it down. Also if your uniform is soiled, it does not present a good appearance.  How seriously are you taken if you're wearing the remnants of dinner on your blue shirt?

Similarly, a wrinkled uniform does not present a military appearance.  Kind of hard to look like you have your stuff together when your uniform looks like you just pulled it out of your duffle bag 4 minutes ago, where it has been bunched up for the last month.

Add to that uniforms are expensive. While enlisted members of the armed forces get issued uniforms, and they get an annual  uniform allowance, that doesn't mean that they got a new uniform whenever they just happen to soil their shirt.  The uniform allowance for enlisted folks is designed to replace their entire compliment of uniforms over the course of several years (ie. you should be able to make a set of BDUS/ACUs/ABUs last ~3-4 years of "normal" [non-combat] wear), not every year.

Consequently, CAP cadets and seniors should be doing the same thing: uniforms aren't cheap, and we only wear them 2 1/2 hrs once a week or so.  Apart from the uniform shrinking radically, you should be able to get easily 2 x the lifespan out of your uniforms as folks on AD get.

There is also a pride in appearance factor. You don't look very good when you have massive ring around the collar. When your trousers have dog hair all over them. When your shirt has a rip in it. Etc.

Edit: Fixed spelling, grammar, etc.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Garibaldi

Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

CadetSnuffy

Because people have died in those uniforms. We show respect to our nation and to all the soldiers that have worn our uniforms by keeping our appearance as professional as possible. That is the reasoning behind all of the regulations regarding hair, clothing, personal accessories, and weight standards among other things. It is an honor to wear former military uniforms, one that should not be taken lightly. When we meet together, be it at a squadron meeting, encampment, NCSA, or air show, we represent all who have served.
There are two types of countries, those that use the metric system, then that one that has been to the moon.

a2capt

...can't even believe it was posted...

6 years. Whatever.

Майор Хаткевич

Nuke52

Why do we to post goofy questions with even goofier syntax?
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

Alaric

Quote from: CadetSnuffy on February 03, 2015, 06:57:35 PM
Because people have died in those uniforms. We show respect to our nation and to all the soldiers that have worn our uniforms by keeping our appearance as professional as possible. That is the reasoning behind all of the regulations regarding hair, clothing, personal accessories, and weight standards among other things. It is an honor to wear former military uniforms, one that should not be taken lightly. When we meet together, be it at a squadron meeting, encampment, NCSA, or air show, we represent all who have served.

And for those of us that don't wear military uniforms (former or otherwise) we were taught to take care of our things and take pride in our appearance by our parents.  :)

CadetSnuffy

Quote from: Alaric on February 03, 2015, 08:26:46 PM
Quote from: CadetSnuffy on February 03, 2015, 06:57:35 PM

And for those of us that don't wear military uniforms (former or otherwise) we were taught to take care of our things and take pride in our appearance by our parents.  :)
That too. It never hurts to have a professional appearance.
There are two types of countries, those that use the metric system, then that one that has been to the moon.

Flying Pig

When I was in boot camp I was told "there really are stupid questions.... And you only get to ask so many of them before you are written off as being unsalvageable"

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 08, 2015, 03:56:36 PM
When I was in boot camp I was told "there really are stupid questions.... And you only get to ask so many of them before you are written off as being unsalvageable"

Every platoon had a gomer in it. You were lucky if you did not have a goober too.  8)

lordmonar

There is a least on goober in every unit.   Just look around. If you don't see him...... It just may be you! :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Luis R. Ramos

Lord,

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I am surprised even that USAF posted this question!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Майор Хаткевич

He also posts "who also identifies as USAF Auxiliary when asked?" So I'm not surprised.