What award would be applicable?

Started by DKirkendall58, January 05, 2015, 10:09:46 AM

GroundHawg

Quote from: Eclipse on January 05, 2015, 11:00:28 PM
Quote from: GroundHawg on January 05, 2015, 10:56:18 PMA side note, do not tell them if their award package was downgraded, just congratulate them and tell them you appreciate their service.

You mean you shouldn't just hand them the original 120 with the higher dec crossed out instead of redoing it?

Seen those, talk about lazy and self-defeating.

Exactly. Seriously, take 5 min and do it right.

Flying Pig

Just on an admin note.....

If you submit for, lets say a Lifesaving and it gets approved for a Commanders Commendation, wont it have all of the signatures on it when you get it back?  How would you redo it without losing all the approval signatures?

Alaric

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 06, 2015, 01:31:04 PM
Just on an admin note.....

If you submit for, lets say a Lifesaving and it gets approved for a Commanders Commendation, wont it have all of the signatures on it when you get it back?  How would you redo it without losing all the approval signatures?

Depends on the level of review.  For instance I have submitted awards to Wing, then got the call that the act did not merit (for instance a Commander's Commendation) I would resubmit for an Acheivement Award, which would be signed and used for the members file.  The original F120 would be returned to the requester (me) with the reason it did not merit the Commander's Commendation and I would keep it in my Admin files.  The member never knew.

Flying Pig

Ahhhh gotcha.  I was never in a position where a award got reduced.  However I did have one where the Group CC arrived for our Sq awards banquet and had upgraded an Achievement Medal that had been submitted to a Commanders Commendation.  When I submitted the 120 to Group... he took the info and sent it up as a Commanders Comm after reading it.   Proof that you should go with the highest award and let them reduce it.

Eclipse

+1 On Alaric's post and to yours, few people mind when something is considered more commendable then originally submitted.

Part of the issue is the circular nature of CAP staff and echelons - to the rank and file with no service outside a small unit,
Wing and Region may seem like strangers no one ever knows or meets, but once you venture outside the unit, you
find they are just "other guys you know who happen to have a say about 'x' more then you do...today...".

In a lot of cases, the reasons for denying a decoration are as arbitrary as the non-existent "standard" by which they are judged,
and the person denying the request may also be someone's personal friend, direct supervisor, or even their subordinate in another role
(a region or wing staffer or even cc could well be a subordinate during ES ops or large cadet activities, and even lower in grade then the
person the request is for).  The last thing you need is "Quinton doesn't think I'm worthy of an ESA, so maybe he's not worthy of staff job next flight academy".

Further to that, when you understand the totality of the situation, how subjective these decs are, even moreo then in the military, and
when you know the full story behind others who have received them, when you're talking about otherwise competent commanders and staff
who are just trying to give another high-achiever an "atta boy" or "thank you", it's more then a little insulting when an otherwise properly
written 120 is sent back by someone who coincidentally is wearing the same dec with an attachment that just coincidentally aligns with the
number of years they have been doing a staff job. The same goes when dec are presented at a scope that is inappropriate but expeditious,
whether that means a lower dec as a consolation prize because the higher one was turned down, or a higher one simply because the person with the
pen is at a higher level.

Anything that gets lowered should be re-written.

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

As someone who sits on the wing awards and promotions committees, here is what you need to do to get an award through the first time:

1.  Fill out the top of CAPF 120, CAPF 2 or CAPF 2A correctly, with the complete information including CAPID and duty position.
2.  In the remarks section, specify the correct regulation and section and describe how the person met the requirements for the award. 
for example: "... IAW CAPR 39-3 Sect B.9.f, Capt Smuckatelli performed in an outstanding manner in his duties as Chief Donut Procurement officer for the recent Wing Professional Development Weekend, greatly contributing to its overall success by keeping the attendees well fed and alert during the 18 hours of mind numbing power point presentations. ...  for his exemplary and outstanding performance in a position of great importance to the XX Wing, Capt Smuckatelli is hereby nominated for the Commanders Commendation award." 
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Private Investigator

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 07, 2015, 01:07:03 PM
As someone who sits on the wing awards and promotions committees, here is what you need to do to get an award through the first time:

1.  Fill out the top of CAPF 120, CAPF 2 or CAPF 2A correctly, with the complete information including CAPID and duty position.
2.  In the remarks section, specify the correct regulation and section and describe how the person met the requirements for the award. 
for example: "... IAW CAPR 39-3 Sect B.9.f, Capt Smuckatelli performed in an outstanding manner in his duties as Chief Donut Procurement officer for the recent Wing Professional Development Weekend, greatly contributing to its overall success by keeping the attendees well fed and alert during the 18 hours of mind numbing power point presentations. ...  for his exemplary and outstanding performance in a position of great importance to the XX Wing, Capt Smuckatelli is hereby nominated for the Commanders Commendation award."

That is a great example for a ComCom but I have seen something similar for a Distinguished Service. They aim high hoping for a Exceptional or Meritorious Service Award instead of the ComCom.  8)

Al Sayre

No matter what the award or promotion, the key is to fill out the form completely and correctly, and in the remarks section state what the standard is and how it was met.  Anything less will probably be rejected.  Anything not clearly pertinent to how the standard was met is un-necessary and a waste of your time writing it and my time reading it, and could cause the award to be rejected.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Alaric

Quote from: Eclipse on January 06, 2015, 03:01:28 PM
+1 On Alaric's post and to yours, few people mind when something is considered more commendable then originally submitted.

Part of the issue is the circular nature of CAP staff and echelons - to the rank and file with no service outside a small unit,
Wing and Region may seem like strangers no one ever knows or meets, but once you venture outside the unit, you
find they are just "other guys you know who happen to have a say about 'x' more then you do...today...".

In a lot of cases, the reasons for denying a decoration are as arbitrary as the non-existent "standard" by which they are judged,
and the person denying the request may also be someone's personal friend, direct supervisor, or even their subordinate in another role
(a region or wing staffer or even cc could well be a subordinate during ES ops or large cadet activities, and even lower in grade then the
person the request is for).  The last thing you need is "Quinton doesn't think I'm worthy of an ESA, so maybe he's not worthy of staff job next flight academy".

Since there is an awards committee, Quinton (unless the group/wing/region/national commander) doesn't get to decide, at best they are a member of a committee that recommends