Main Menu

New AFI 36-2903

Started by Archer, January 20, 2014, 01:52:07 AM

Garp

How does the MEMS program relate to this language from the AFI?  "Badges of military societies of the U.S. that honors wars, campaigns or expeditions in which the U.S. was engaged."

sarmed1

Quote from: abdsp51 on January 21, 2014, 12:44:54 AM
That's only for the AOR and a result of the Army griping bout AF not playing by their rules.

I remember when " 3 sets conservative civilian clothing" was part of my mobility bag contents......then I remember it coming out because as we were told the " host" bases were upset because it wasn't fair that their soldiers/ marines/sailors could only wear pt's off duty while the AF could wear civies....it was bad for their morale....

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on January 20, 2014, 11:56:42 PM
Is that a camo reflective belt?  Won't that rip a hole in space-time?  Also, why are they wearing them like crossing guards?

It's still reflective and fulfills it's function during low light conditions.  The over the shoulder thing is "supposed" to be safer, at least that's Safety's story.

LSThiker

Quote"The increased wear of the ABU in-garrison, coupled with airmen's long-term desires to wear the qualification badges and the command insignia they have earned, makes authorized wear on the ABU a logical step," Lt. Gen. Sam Cox, Air Force deputy chief of staff for manpower, personnel and services, said in the release

Well I guess it will be harder to complain when seniors want to wear a specialty track badge on the BDUs.  From the sounds of it, even the USAF has the same "bling crazy" adults that CAP has.

Quote from: PHall on January 21, 2014, 02:44:16 AM
Is that a camo reflective belt?  Won't that rip a hole in space-time?  Also, why are they wearing them like crossing guards?

It's still reflective and fulfills it's function during low light conditions.  The over the shoulder thing is "supposed" to be safer, at least that's Safety's story.

It is safer.  After PT or even during PT, our shirts would be loose (still tuck in but more bloused appearance).  The shirt would then cover the PT belt.  Do not know how many times I would get stopped and asked where my belt was.

I just never understood the amount of money put into making the Army IPFU reflective to include the "ACU pattern" on the new jackets and we are still required to wear reflective belts. 

Eclipse

^ And that reflective material ain't cheap. 

We looked into doing t-shirts with retro-reflective silver instead of white and
it would have nearly doubled the cost of the shirt.

The Navy has similar issues.  For years it was "nothing", which frankly is a little
dangerous - black P-Coats and trench coats or even Cracker Jacks on dimly lit streets,
etc.

Then it was arm bands for a couple of years, then it was all hands with the belt,
I think it's back to only the guidon bearers, or Division leads wearing them.

Of course road guards are in orange vest.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Quote from: Eclipse on January 21, 2014, 03:03:50 AM

Did the same thing for my squadron.  Yeah, the option was nixed the instant I saw the $25 to $30 price tag per shirt. 

PHall

Quote from: LSThiker on January 21, 2014, 03:15:23 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 21, 2014, 03:03:50 AM

Did the same thing for my squadron.  Yeah, the option was nixed the instant I saw the $25 to $30 price tag per shirt.

The Air Force PT shirt has reflective lettering/logos on it and they're under $10 each.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on January 21, 2014, 04:19:52 AM
The Air Force PT shirt has reflective lettering/logos on it and they're under $10 each.

Volume, volume, volume.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Quote from: PHall on January 21, 2014, 04:19:52 AM

Yeah, except the Air Force and the Army have a better bargaining chip compared to my CAP squadron.  Plus they can shop nationwide while we were using local screen printing shops.

a2capt

..and if you give those to the local shop, many a times they will balk and tell you the price is the same as if you bought a shirt from them - and you didn't.

So.. ;-)

LSThiker

Quote from: a2capt on January 21, 2014, 05:48:33 AM
..and if you give those to the local shop, many a times they will balk and tell you the price is the same as if you bought a shirt from them - and you didn't.

So.. ;-)

I am confused on what you are saying.  However, if I understand you correctly, you are stating to give the prices of the USAF/USA shirts to the printers and they will sell them for $10?  Am I correct?  If so, no I already had a similar conversation.  However, they may have jacked the prices up for the essentially anti-military town I was living in at the time.  Essentially the conversation boiled down to:  the volume (100 shirts I think) does not equate to a good reduction in price.

a2capt

No, I'm saying to try and provide your own shirts to a screen printer.

A great majority of them are allergic to that. It causes them to expose their costs, so rather than do that they say "you pay us the same as if we sold you -our- shirt" .. so why would you want to supply them then? Certainly not because your going to save money.

LSThiker

Quote from: a2capt on January 21, 2014, 06:29:03 AM
No, I'm saying to try and provide your own shirts to a screen printer.

A great majority of them are allergic to that. It causes them to expose their costs, so rather than do that they say "you pay us the same as if we sold you -our- shirt" .. so why would you want to supply them then? Certainly not because your going to save money.

Ah makes more sense.  Yeah, never had that work out for me.

AlphaSigOU

And I betcha the military prices are already at rock bottom... it they are DSCP (Defense Supply Center Philadelphia) items, chances are they were made by UNICOR - aka Federal Prison Industries.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

UH60guy

And quality control ain't great. I've had fellow Soldiers get issued uniform tops with two left sleeves on two separate occasions. To clarify, that isn't two arms on one side (that would be awesome though) but the arm with pockets and seams alignment of a left arm but on the right. You get what you pay (or don't pay) for.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

a2capt

No, that was just a mis-shipped item that was meant to go for the secret Chernobyl duty.

Shuman 14

Quote from: PHall on January 21, 2014, 02:44:16 AM

I remember when some posts actually had command regulations posted on how the belt was suppose to be worn. Part of it was identify rank class on the wearer as the Army PT uniform has no rank on it. A common set up was:

Officers and Warrant Officers - belt worn right shoulder to left hip (i.e. sword belt on a Sam Brown)

NCOs (CPL thru CSM) - belt worn left shoulder to right hip

EMs (SPC and below) - belt worn around the waist.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

LSThiker

Do not forget the blue for officer and yellow for enlisted setup as well. Although I think 1st Cav still does this. I had a senior NCO yell at me because I did not salute a warrant officer. He thought I was enlisted since I did not have a blue belt on.

Luis R. Ramos

That translated into New York Wing's 2013 Encampment as senior members had to wear yellow belts and cadets green...

???

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Luis R. Ramos

A2-

Are those the new generation of Tabi shoes?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer