Cost of uniforms at a base?

Started by cmoore, April 04, 2005, 07:43:40 PM

Buzz

Quote from: md132 on April 16, 2005, 10:55:15 AM
Quote from: Pylon on April 07, 2005, 07:22:21 AM
Nope. That exception list includes people who have exchange privileges but cannot use the online site.

Civil Air Patrol has what is called Special Privileges with AAFES.  Especially at AAFES PX/BX.  Which means only uniform items(Brown or white t-shirts, Black dress socks, black boot socks)  unless they are on the base TDY(Temp Duty with orders).  All AAFES personnel has been briefed on what the current membership card looks like and has seen it.  So only those uniform items mentioned can be purchased at an AAFES PX/BX.  Make sure you also bring the appropiate CAP Regulations on it in case management says something about it.

Funny, I've bought boots, gloves, sunglasses, sewing kits, flashlights, etc at the MCSS, nobody ever commented.

abysmal

Unfortunately the promissed catalog never materialized.
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

Westernslope

What you can buy at base clothing stores seems to vary based on my experience.  I have had no problems at Columbus AFB, Keesler AFB, or Peterson AFB.  However, all of these have CAP units on base so that might  make a difference.

IF YOU DO MAKE IT TO A BASE...........I have also found two other options for uniforms at little or no cost.  They are both hit and miss opportunities but I have gotten lucky more than once.

I have bought lots of used uniforms in good condition at base thrift stores. 

My best find was the Airmen's Attic at Peterson AFB.  They have used (and some times new uniform items) that are free for the taking.  Last time I was there, they even had a number of Mess Dress uniforms (male and female) in addition to the usual service dress items and BDUS. When the folks working there learned I was with CAP, they loaded up my van.

abysmal

Hmmmm
Interesting thought there.
If only there was a base somewhere nearby.....

BlueLakes1

Quote from: Cadetofthe60s on August 31, 2005, 11:56:30 PM
What you can buy at base clothing stores seems to vary based on my experience.  I have had no problems at Columbus AFB, Keesler AFB, or Peterson AFB.  However, all of these have CAP units on base so that might  make a difference.

IF YOU DO MAKE IT TO A BASE...........I have also found two other options for uniforms at little or no cost.  They are both hit and miss opportunities but I have gotten lucky more than once.

I have bought lots of used uniforms in good condition at base thrift stores. 

My best find was the Airmen's Attic at Peterson AFB.  They have used (and some times new uniform items) that are free for the taking.  Last time I was there, they even had a number of Mess Dress uniforms (male and female) in addition to the usual service dress items and BDUS. When the folks working there learned I was with CAP, they loaded up my van.

I make it up to Wright/Patterson quite a bit and have never had any problems there, and when I was at Columbus for AETC-FC we made buys there every day and they were wonderful. I also got a helluva buy at the thrift shop at CAFB, bought a complete mess dress for $50. Only mods I had to make were to have the trousers hemmed and the sleeve braid changed.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

Pylon

Quote from: MCreedKY214 on September 01, 2005, 12:48:15 AM
I also got a helluva buy at the thrift shop at CAFB, bought a complete mess dress for $50. Only mods I had to make were to have the trousers hemmed and the sleeve braid changed.

I got a pretty similar deal.  For some reason, at any given time, there are a handful of AF officer mess dress on eBay.  (Though very oddly not so much other service mess dress and enlisted AF mess dress, as regularly as you see AF officer mess dress).  I snagged mine for about $40-$50 if I recall, and only had to have the sleeve braid changed. 

Of course it's the mini-medals that will set you back a pretty penny!   :P
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Major_Chuck

Quote from: Pylon on September 01, 2005, 03:22:24 AM
Quote from: MCreedKY214 on September 01, 2005, 12:48:15 AM
I also got a helluva buy at the thrift shop at CAFB, bought a complete mess dress for $50. Only mods I had to make were to have the trousers hemmed and the sleeve braid changed.

I got a pretty similar deal.  For some reason, at any given time, there are a handful of AF officer mess dress on eBay.  (Though very oddly not so much other service mess dress and enlisted AF mess dress, as regularly as you see AF officer mess dress).  I snagged mine for about $40-$50 if I recall, and only had to have the sleeve braid changed. 

Of course it's the mini-medals that will set you back a pretty penny!   :P

Thank goodness this is not a mandatory uniform!  I own a version of every uniform now except this one.  Why? the cost to make it look pretty.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Pylon

Quote from: Major_Chuck
Thank goodness this is not a mandatory uniform!  I own a version of every uniform now except this one.  Why? the cost to make it look pretty.

Yeah, but I managed to snag the mess dress cheap on eBay, and got the sleeve braid done by a friendly tailor at a decent price.  If you wanted to meet the mininum (although obscure) requirement of "Miniature medals mandatory" then you could probably get by with one or two medals.  All in all, you could probably bring it in under $75 if you were a thrifty shopper.

I actually don't own service dress.  I've found myself wearing my mess dress a good number of times already, and it makes me think it's been worth it.

abysmal

Quote from: Pylon on September 05, 2005, 04:31:57 AM
I've found myself wearing my mess dress a good number of times already, and it makes me think it's been worth it.

Really?
I wouldn't think there would be that many oportunities to wear it?

md132

Same here.  I probably only wear my mess dress maybe once or twice a year. 

Pylon

Quote from: abysmal on September 06, 2005, 03:27:33 PM
I've found myself wearing my mess dress a good number of times already, and it makes me think it's been worth it.

Really?
I wouldn't think there would be that many oportunities to wear it?

It wouldn't seem it, but it sure has become useful:

Two unit dining-out/award banquets for my Group -- both my home squadron, and another squadron in my Group.  Plus, the local ANG base's Fighter Wing's dining out.  In addition, there was the formal banquet on my cruise and encampment staff banquets.  All-in-all there are plenty of opportunities to wear it if you attend a lot of events.

BlueLakes1

Yeah, but I managed to snag the mess dress cheap on eBay, and got the sleeve braid done by a friendly tailor at a decent price.  If you wanted to meet the mininum (although obscure) requirement of "Miniature medals mandatory" then you could probably get by with one or two medals.  All in all, you could probably bring it in under $75 if you were a thrifty shopper.

I actually don't own service dress.  I've found myself wearing my mess dress a good number of times already, and it makes me think it's been worth it.

I got mine for $50 at the thrift shop, spent a little under $30 for medals (I short stacked, just got 4 for now), $12 to get the braid changed out and pants hemmed, and whatever the list price was for the enamel seal. Squadron provided a set of miniature pilot wings. The big kick will be in the shoulder boards, they're $42.50 I think. Any of you Majors have a set of Captain boards you want to part with, let me know!  ;)

I've had 3 or 4 occasions I could have worn mine to (as opposed to maybe 8 occasions for the service dress, which I did buy at full price), and I've only been back in a year and a half. Not something I'd go buy for full price, but certainly worth having if you can find one cheaper.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

jacklumanog

I live in Kansas City and was pretty close to Whiteman AFB in Knob Noster, MO so I went on base to go shopping at Military Clothing Sales.  Picked up a service cap, the high gloss shoes and a new mess dress uniform.  I noticed that at the Regional Chaplain Staff College, all of the other chaplains were wearing mess dress at the closing dinner.  I figured, I should look the part with everyone else.

So far, I haven't had any reason to wear the mess dress except for around the house to get a feeling for it  ...  and to make it seem like it was well worth the expense in the first place!
Ch, Lt Col Jon I. Lumanog, CAP
Special Assistant to the National Chief of Chaplains for Diversity of Ministry

BillB

There was a set of mess dress CAP Capt. shoulder boards on eBay for $12, may still be there.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104