Just ordered

Started by usafcap1, November 14, 2012, 11:25:43 AM

usafcap1

Well I just ordered my boots. Can't wait til they get here. ;D

http://bdu.com/mens-rothco-ultra-force-jungle

just saying :P
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

AngelWings

Quote from: usafcap1 on November 14, 2012, 11:25:43 AM

You'll be replacing them in 6 months to 8 months. They're very poorly made.

Private Investigator

+1

Take care of your feet 

Pylon

Quote from: AngelWings on November 14, 2012, 11:40:57 AM

You should probably be suspicious of a boot with a 15-day limited warranty against manufacturer defects.  15 days?  Yeah.   Also the note right on their product page that says "These boots are not built to withstand battlefield conditions" is also a sign that the boot is not made to withstand anything more than walking around a carpeted floor.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Flying Pig

$51!!!!!!    Wow. You can get those brand new at my local surplus store for $20.

Eeyore

Yeah, invest the extra $100 for something like this: http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=7615&tabid=1

I've had mine since I re-joined as a Senior Member in 2007 and they have survived everything I've thrown at them, which includes several encampments, FTXs, SAREXs and NCSAs. I'm pretty sure they are getting more comfortable as time goes on.

Flying Pig

Seriously.......  If you can send them back, for maybe $15-$20-$30 more, you can actually get a set of boots that will last you years.  I had a set of those and no kidding, 6 months later they were in the trash. They are nothing but plastic and super glue.  Id guarantee within a year you will be buying another set. 

Eclipse

You can walk into the door at a Walmart any day of the week and get boots of similar quality for about the same price, no shipping,
and if you have an issue you can return them at the store.

I would call and cancel the order, and if you can't, then wait for them to show and turn them right around for a return / refund.

I had a pair of these that I bought at a local surplus shop.  They sat in the closet and when I finally went to where them,
I noticed that the webbing on one side had pulled out from the seam and was all frayed.  To this day I have no idea
if they came that way or it happened on the couple of occasions I wore them, but either way very poor quality and I would
up donating them.

"That Others May Zoom"

usafcap1

Great  :(

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

a2capt

..and you'll be waiting for new ones every few months.

Forget it. Search for "rothco" on here. Tally the opinions and experiences.

Flying Pig

Quote from: usafcap1 on November 14, 2012, 05:38:30 PM

Any other dreams you want shattered?  We'll be here all night....    :'(

Garibaldi

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 14, 2012, 07:26:32 PM

Any other dreams you want shattered?  We'll be here all night....    :'(

Just in case you were dreaming of this too, no, we're not getting those current air force uniforms either.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Майор Хаткевич

manfredvonrichthofen

Above this a few posts, someone suggested Walmart. I did that about a year and a half ago, and I still find them very comfortable, very cushy, side zip, and only $30... They are Herman Survivors. I bought them in Bloomington Indiana, and have since moved to Arkansas, and I have found them in Walmart here, Texas, and Oklahoma, so they aren't just a one time thing. Go grab a pair, you won't likely regret it.

Abby.L

As has been mentioned above, Rothco has... Err... "Questionable" quality. I have a pair somewhere. Sure, they shine great, but they hurt my feet too badly to wear them everyday. Even if I did, I'm sure that they would break down within a few months.

So, my primary set of boots are a pair of $40 Response Gear Sidezips. The zipper's held through many an event, and even if mine don't shine too well, they still look good.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Garibaldi

Oddly, while 39-1 specifies either (combat boots) or (hot weather tropical) footwear, it doesn't say specifically whether said boot HAS to be military issue, just black, with or without safety toe, plain rounded toe or rounded capped toe without perforated seam. I've seen dozens of people with black, military STYLE boots that perform just as well as any military boot, probably better, and has better comfort. The parentheses around the type of footwear is in CAPM 39-1, not mine. Don't know why they do that for certain items...optional, maybe?

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread and turn it into a uniform thread, just saying that whatever boots you DO wind up with, make sure they are black and comfortable.

AngelWings

What foot size are you? I do have some extra boots that, for a CAP member, I'd be willing to donate if you pay shipping.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Garibaldi on November 14, 2012, 08:41:52 PM
Oddly, while 39-1 specifies either (combat boots) or (hot weather tropical) footwear, it doesn't say specifically whether said boot HAS to be military issue, just black, with or without safety toe, plain rounded toe or rounded capped toe without perforated seam. I've seen dozens of people with black, military STYLE boots that perform just as well as any military boot, probably better, and has better comfort. The parentheses around the type of footwear is in CAPM 39-1, not mine. Don't know why they do that for certain items...optional, maybe?

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread and turn it into a uniform thread, just saying that whatever boots you DO wind up with, make sure they are black and comfortable.
don't make turn assumption from this excerpt that your boots must be all black, they can have a green cloth upper, as stated in another table in the 39-1. So don't go throw money at a new pair of boots because yours have a green upper.

SarDragon

We told you that the first time you asked about boots.

Let me repeat this one more time - Rothco = crap.

Your other thread has exactly two references to Rothco boots - a recommendation, and a subsequent condemnation. All the other recommendations were multiple references to much higher quality boots.

If you can't pay attention to our suggestions, don't expect sympathy when your boots fall apart in six months or less.

I know you were looking for inexpensive boots, but if you spend $40 or so every six months, how long does that take to add up to the $120 or so you can spend for a pair of boots that last several years?

Cheap and inexpensive are not the same. Cheap = poor quality; inexpensive = low cost.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on November 14, 2012, 09:13:13 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on November 14, 2012, 08:41:52 PM

don't make turn assumption from this excerpt that your boots must be all black, they can have a green cloth upper, as stated in another table in the 39-1. So don't go throw money at a new pair of boots because yours have a green upper.

Forgot about that part. my bad. right under what i quoted too.

Quote from: SarDragon on November 14, 2012, 09:23:42 PM

Your other thread has exactly two references to Rothco boots - a recommendation, and a subsequent condemnation. All the other recommendations were multiple references to much higher quality boots.

If you can't pay attention to our suggestions, don't expect sympathy when your boots fall apart in six months or less.

I know you were looking for inexpensive boots, but if you spend $40 or so every six months, how long does that take to add up to the $120 or so you can spend for a pair of boots that last several years?

Cheap and inexpensive are not the same. Cheap = poor quality; inexpensive = low cost.

I just read the older thread & it was inconclusive.  There were two posts for the Rothco and one against. 

I think that if the OP posted that it was a beautiful day someone would bust his chops. 

Garibaldi

Quote from: 754837 on November 14, 2012, 10:02:00 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on November 14, 2012, 09:23:42 PM

I just read the older thread & it was inconclusive.  There were two posts for the Rothco and one against. 

I think that if the OP posted that it was a beautiful day someone would bust his chops.

It's a little bit cloudy.  >:D

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Why do we do this?

Майор Хаткевич

Eclipse

A $26 pair of boots will likely be fine for weekly meetings with no off-road activities, but will never stand up to GT-type outdoor activities.
For a cadet just looking to fill his uniform list at the lowest cost, they will probably be fine, but as others have said, they won't hold up,
and will possibly fail at the most inopportune moment.

With that said, this particular boot has a very aggressive tread which is clearly intended for off-road, muddy conditions, and may not be very comfortable
for weekly drill and normal hard-tarmac cadet activities.  Considering the price, they are also likely to scuff and mark up whatever floors the wearer is walking on.  I have always thought that a boot with an aggressive tread like this looks slightly "off" when worn to a regular meeting.

I see members wearing them all the time, and no one I've seen has their big toe sticking out the front or walking with duct tape holding them together, but it's usually a separation of the insert material, ripped-through eyelets, or split seam at the sole.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

This has been the last (in fairly recent history) about the same boots.  A simple search can answer sooo many questions.  It gets really tiring.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

The first post asked for the best boots. We responded. There were two mediocre endorsements of Rothco, but multiple posts in high favor of Bates, Altama, 5.11, Belleville, and Nike. It was also suggested that the OP "do a search, and see what's already been posted. There are several topics on just this subject." It does not appear that he did that. I just did a couple of searches, on Rothco, and boots, and saw way more condemnation than endorsement for that brand.

Here's another thread from the OP, back in May. The same advice was given. There's something about horses and water here, methinks.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

My first CAP Boots were used Jungle Boots from a Military Surplus store for $50 bucks.

They lasted me for 10 years (Still have them, and still wear them). Last year I purchased a Pair of Bates side zippers for around $105, and it is UNBELIEVABLE how much more comfortable they are.

In between the 10 year period I had picked up a $30 pair of Jungle boots made in China. No worse or better than the others, but the leather sucked and the comfort level was no better. 

usafcap1

Here's what we are going to do. From now on only say good things about this product. It would make me feel better about the crap i ordered. Because I bought two pair.

ONLY on this post!!

(Cadet 2008-2012)

usafcap1

Fake it if you have to!

(Cadet 2008-2012)

AngelWings

Quote from: usafcap1 on November 15, 2012, 03:25:28 AM
Here's what we are going to do. From now on only say good things about this product. It would make me feel better about the crap i ordered. Because I bought two pair.

ONLY on this post!!
I feel bad for you...

Pylon

Do you plan on just wearing them to meetings and stuff?  If so, you'll probably be fine.  You don't need a battle-tested, rugged combat boot to wear to the CAP meeting held indoors in offices and a classroom for 2.5 hours a week.

I'd just suggest not putting them through anything hardcore and expect them to hold up: like ground team stuff or a week-long encampment where you wear them 12-hours a day.

Enjoy them for what they are.  Cheap boots that will probably stand up just fine for a little while to infrequent use indoors.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

usafcap1

Quote from: AngelWings on November 15, 2012, 03:26:43 AM
Quote from: usafcap1 on November 15, 2012, 03:25:28 AM

ONLY on this post!!
I feel bad for you...

I said fake it... dont rub it in

(Cadet 2008-2012)

manfredvonrichthofen

Shine them up and wear them to meetings you know are going to have an inspection, because they do shine amazingly.

AngelWings

You'll have good "I don't want to ruin my good ones doing something stupid" boots. That's what I used them for. Like if I was going to shovel horse feces or something. You'll find a use for them, and trust me, they're not a bad investment in the sense you'll get your money's worth. You have two pairs, so you have two chances to do something really stupid with them on. After that, save the laces and pack them with your ES gear if you do ES.

See, not so bleak! In all seriousness, the laces are worth keeping, and you'll end up finding out that they can be used for a variety of tasks that you wouldn't want to use your good boots for.

As others have said, your feet are your most important thing. Invest money into keeping them comfortable. You don't need a fancy $350 pair, but a decent brand name like Belleville, Bates, Corcoran, Altma, or the like. You can find brands like that on evilbay used, and for not too bad prices either.

And a good lesson you'll learn, jungle boots in general are crap! They provide no ankle support, the sole isn't all that durable, and they're not usable in the winter unless you're in a warm area. Get a pair of boots that have good padding and ankle support. You're a SM now, so investing in decent boots will be worth it.

Don't worry, you still have boots to wear and it is not bad for what you paid for. You might love them, and they might be better than any other pair of Rothco boots.

a2capt

AngelWings