Main Menu

Best boots

Started by usafcap1, October 06, 2012, 10:18:15 PM

usafcap1

I need to buy a new pair of boots but I am not sure which brand is the best. they need to get really really shiniey. Any suggestions? thanks
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

SarDragon

Unless this is for honor guard, forget the shiny, and go for comfortable. Your feet couldn't care less how shiny they are.

Oh, wait, you're a senior member now. No honor guard. Go for comfortable.

Bates, Corcoran, Altama. I'm sure others can come up with other brands.

Do a search, and see what's already been posted. There are several topics on just this subject.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SJFedor

My 5.11 boots I have for work seem to shine up quite nicely, and very easily.

However, I just got some Under Armour Valsetz boots for work, and they're the freaking bomb. Not shine-able though.

And if all else fails, as long as it's leather, just strip the factory polish, cheat, and put on some leather luster.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

AngelWings

Take it from a Cadet Commnader who has been around for a good time now: YOU'RE WASTING YOUR TIME

They're combat boots. Make 'em waterproof, all black, and in good repair. Everything else is extra.

Extremepredjudice

If you get a dull shine you are miles ahead of everyone else. Trust me.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Garibaldi

As a SM, the idea of actually shining your boots to inspection standards is a waste of time. I, unfortunately, had a glut of spare time in the last year and I spit shined 1 pair of boots for meetings and just put enough polish on my "work" boots to keep them fit.

I actually went with 2 pair of Rotcho jungle boots from here:

http://www.uspatriottactical.com/factory-direct-black-jungle-boot.html

They serve me well, the price was right, and shipping was reasonable. At that price, I might get another pair for later.

As to what I said about spit shining my meeting boots, I am one of the few seniors in my unit who feels the need to erase the image of "sloppy seniors" around cadets. Having come from an environment where I was given negative reinforcement when it came to appearance (demerits that were worked off by doing 10 pushups per demerit after inspection. This was pre-CPPT and anti-hazing, also known as the Good Ol'/Bad Ol' Days), it was just ingrained on me from the start that wear of the AF style uniform was a privilege and not a right(!) and I'd better made darn sure that I honored those who wore the uniform before me by wearing proudly and properly. I guess I have this corny notion that if the cadets see a SM wearing a sharp uniform, they'll feel compelled to do the same. Maybe I'm delusional  :-\

Just don't feel obligated to do it. If you feel it necessary, go for it, but otherwise don't waste your time.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

whatevah

For a SM, boots are boots... only exception is if you're on an active ground team (and I mean active).  If you're planning to do multiple-day events during the year (weekends, encampments, NESA, etc) then a more comfortable boot might be a good investment, but for the typical 2 hour meeting you'll never notice it.

WIWAC Officer and then SM, I wore HH jump boots and they were comfortable and shined well, but those were really for show only, no tread at all. Useless for GTM stuff.  Now that I've been wearing boots for 12+ hour shifts at work for the past 3 years,  I'm a fan of the Haix boots (lots of leather to shine, protective soles, front zipper, lots of features), but those carry a $200+ price tag.  Worth it to me, but not usually a good choice for the average member.  I'm currently breaking in a set of boots from Bates, lighter than the Haix but not as much leather (cooler in the summer, so good for CAP, not good for keeping blood from your socks).
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

umpirecali

Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

BigShu

I've been wearing Belleville for the last few years. Wear well, look good, American made, and the price range allows most anyone to find the right boot. I wear steel toe at work, and get a subsidy for purchase, so I usually end up with somewhere between $100 and $150. You can get the top of the line for under $200. Lots of places carry them, and sale prices are very common. Fast shipping from Illinois too.

AngelWings

Do Bellevilles, Altama, Nike, or Danner. All of them have great reviews and make comfortable boots.

Bellevilles are my number one choice.

SarDragon

Unless Rothco has improved their product quality since my last experience with them, I suggest that you steer clear. I had a pair of their combat boots, and they lasted less that six months. My current boots, issued WIWOAD, is still going strong, except for the sole tread. I have another new pair in the closet waiting to replace them.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Walkman

I've had the same pair of Rocky boots since I joined 5 years ago. They shine well, have held up to a good bit of field activity and cost me $29 + shipping.

BigShu

Quote from: Walkman on October 08, 2012, 12:39:56 PM
I've had the same pair of Rocky boots since I joined 5 years ago. They shine well, have held up to a good bit of field activity and cost me $29 + shipping.

Your poor feet! I didn't hear comfort on your list of virtues! I know a lot of cops who like Rocky boots. They certainly are value priced.

Walkman

Quote from: BigShu on October 08, 2012, 10:10:43 PM
Your poor feet! I didn't hear comfort on your list of virtues! I know a lot of cops who like Rocky boots. They certainly are value priced.

Lol, good point! They are actually pretty comfy, otherwise they wouldn't have lasted 5 years.

abdsp51

Well quality can depend on how much you want to pay.  I personally wear 5.11, Orginal SWAT, and Magnum.  Converse are not bad either but they are pricey.  I have had my 5.11 for 6 years and they shine up real well, I had a set of Altamas that shined well but I didn't like the sole on them or how they felt on my feet. 

Ozzy

I love my Nike SF boots. Bought them for about $115 (Price actually increase slightly :-\) and they are the most comfortable boots I've worn yet. The only exception with them is walking on sharp jagged rocks but for day-to-day activities and parades/encampments you can't do better. I've had mine for 2 years now and they are still in pretty good shape.

http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/nikesfbbootblack.aspx
$139.99 - 10% discount (VIP10) = $124.99 shipping included...

Did I also mention that they are made by Nike? And they weigh about a pound for the both of them?
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Eclipse

Best boots I've ever owned:

Bates 8" side-zip Gore-Tex.
Comfortable, waterproof, easy on/off, no-fuss care with a little Doc Bailey's.

I wear them for riding, teaching (which is a ton of walking backward), and CAP.  The pair I have right now is about 2 years old and still holding up
great.

I've got two pair of shiny Corcorans which tear up my feet when I wear them, don't go that way.

Whatevah's comment about suiting the boot to the duty is important - the Corcoran's for example, I bought primarily for the easy shine for
encampment - poor choice because the encampment is on 100% hard tarmac and tile floor.  Corcoran's have very little in the way of padding,
which is fine on softer turf, but heck on concrete.

Bates and other brand tactical boots are made for urban environments with hard surfaces, while still being good in the field.
Most of CAP, especially for a cadet, takes place on hard tarmac.

"That Others May Zoom"

metalscorp5

Personally I have a pair of Response Gear. Took a little while to shine them though, but my patience paid off as they are the best in the squadron now. I've had them for 5 years and they still feel and look new, but that's only wearing them to CAP functions.

Blues Brother

I have a relative thats a cop and he has worn alot of different brand boots over the years.    When I bought my boots, I asked his advice. he said Danner boots were the best he has ever worn.  he wears bates because he is cheap and wont kick out for the danners these days.   so I got a pair of Danner Striker II Gortex side zip.  they are expensive, over $200, but they are amazingly comfy right out of the box.   of course you dont have to get full leather, side zip, or gortex and you can save some cash.   I was very pleased with them, they are well worth the money.

Private Investigator

My Altamas must be six years old now but I seldom wear them like I use to.

unmlobo

Personally for AD stuff I love the my Altama or Rocky's (Hoplites and C4Ts)  but for CAP have some old Altama all leathers for GT stuff with a pair of Corcoran Marauders for "garrison".  If you are looking for some knock around boots for GT work lemme know I will raid our Airman's Attic.  They always have old BDU stuff. 

P.S. Sorry if this is slightly incoherent I am up after an allnighter with my infant.
Major, CAP
HI WG