Encampment Ribbon

Started by usafcap1, August 23, 2012, 03:20:35 AM

Luis R. Ramos

::)

Oh PI!

Don't tell me you are not paid for those extra hours.

I still do not see the relevancy of your post to mine.

Flyer

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

ol'fido

It has been my experience that most seniors who work encampments year in and year out don't worry about getting "credit" for the encampment. These are the guys that are there the whole time and always doing their job plus a couple of others. The ones that worry about "credit" are the ones that show up for a day or three, do their "one" thing, don't help out otherwise or take their turn at KP, or all of a sudden have to leave two days before the end for "family emergencies" every year. These are the ones that the encampment commander and I have a talk about when we are going through and registering people for "credit". These are also the ones that complain the most if it doesn't show up on eServices.

"Sorry, Major, but showing up for two days and complaining to everyone about how much money you could be making if you weren't doing us this HUGE favor is not enough to get you credit. Plus, all the available KP shiifts were "inconvenient" for you. Next year, stay at home and make money."

I would rather have a brand new senior that hasn't been in the program for more that a year than some know-it-all Major or LtCol that thinks he's God's gift to CAP and the summer encampment. You don't need to have a lot of experience in the Cadet Program to make a huge contribution. All you need is a positive attitude, a willingness to work, and be ready to learn new things. Mistakes will be made but that's how we learn.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Garibaldi

Quote from: ol'fido on August 27, 2012, 12:00:58 AM
It has been my experience that most seniors who work encampments year in and year out don't worry about getting "credit" for the encampment. These are the guys that are there the whole time and always doing their job plus a couple of others. The ones that worry about "credit" are the ones that show up for a day or three, do their "one" thing, don't help out otherwise or take their turn at KP, or all of a sudden have to leave two days before the end for "family emergencies" every year. These are the ones that the encampment commander and I have a talk about when we are going through and registering people for "credit". These are also the ones that complain the most if it doesn't show up on eServices.

"Sorry, Major, but showing up for two days and complaining to everyone about how much money you could be making if you weren't doing us this HUGE favor is not enough to get you credit. Plus, all the available KP shiifts were "inconvenient" for you. Next year, stay at home and make money."

I would rather have a brand new senior that hasn't been in the program for more that a year than some know-it-all Major or LtCol that thinks he's God's gift to CAP and the summer encampment. You don't need to have a lot of experience in the Cadet Program to make a huge contribution. All you need is a positive attitude, a willingness to work, and be ready to learn new things. Mistakes will be made but that's how we learn.

I spent 3 days at encampment this year. I went down to help out with the ES training which was being done. I also got tasked with being a driver, and the logistics officer tried to bribe me into staying longer than I planned because they were short handed. I also drove the cadets down and went back to pick them up. I had an agreement with the encampment commander that I'd be able to come down and do what I had to do.

I did not receive credit in eservices, nor will I bug the commander about it. I've been to 7 now, 5 as a cadet and 2 as a senior. I've BTDT enough to not really give a darn about another clasp. I did it for the cadets, not myself.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

Yep.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Back in '08, I made a dual purpose trip to Michigan, to participate in the encampment, and to visit family afterward. Because of travel constraints beforehand, I didn't get there until the middle of the week.

I did PAO stuff - taking pictures during the day, and helping produce the daily newsletter at night. I wasn't particularly concerned whether I got credit or not, but the folks there figured that I made enough of a contribution to do so. It showed up in eServices some time after the encampment. Surprise, surprise.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

usafcap1

Quote from: SarDragon on August 23, 2012, 08:00:02 AM
Quote from: usafcap1 on August 23, 2012, 07:39:00 AM
Quote from: a2capt on August 23, 2012, 04:55:10 AM
When else do you get the ribbon?

You're a 'recruiter'?

Yes I am a recruiter I'm trying hard to all the CAPR's and CAPM's as I can.

Could you try that again in a language other than "Genuine Frontier Gibberish"?

Genuine Frontier Gibberish ?? What!?!?!?!?
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

SarDragon

Excuse me, it's "authentic frontier gibberish".

It's a reference to the movie, Blazing Saddles.

Quote from: Gabby JohnsonI wash born here, an I wash raished here, and dad gum it, I am gonna die here, an no sidewindin' bushwackin', hornswagglin' cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter.

Your post made about as much sense.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

cap235629

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 27, 2012, 12:07:11 AM

I spent 3 days at encampment this year. I went down to help out with the ES training which was being done. I also got tasked with being a driver, and the logistics officer tried to bribe me into staying longer than I planned because they were short handed. I also drove the cadets down and went back to pick them up. I had an agreement with the encampment commander that I'd be able to come down and do what I had to do.

I did not receive credit in eservices, nor will I bug the commander about it. I've been to 7 now, 5 as a cadet and 2 as a senior. I've BTDT enough to not really give a darn about another clasp. I did it for the cadets, not myself.

If this were a facebook post I would be jumping all over the like button.  I joined CAP for ES.  I SWORE UP AND DOWN that I wanted NOTHING to do with cadet programs after 20 years as a Boy Scout Leader.  2 years later I logged 20 hours of sleep over a 10 day period because I was ensuring that "MY" cadets got THE BEST EXPERIENCE POSSIBLE at encampment.  The mission is the reason for our existence, NOT the bling.  I wear my ribbons maybe once a year at Wing Conference.

That being said, I DO take pride in my accomplishments and HUMBLY wear every ribbon I am entitled to wear.

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Private Investigator

Quote from: flyer333555 on August 26, 2012, 09:27:15 PM

Oh PI!

Don't tell me you are not paid for those extra hours.

I still do not see the relevancy of your post to mine.

Flyer

Being a teenager let me tell you life is not black or white, lot of gray areas to deal with. Take your thinking to a level one or two clicks up. Any higher you will have a nose bleed   ::)