Main Menu

Unit Citation

Started by C/2d Lt, June 19, 2012, 07:06:45 PM

RogueLeader

Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 25, 2012, 04:21:56 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 25, 2012, 02:43:43 AM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 25, 2012, 02:24:44 AM
Something semi-related: Why isn't there a ribbon for Squadron of Merit/Distinction?

Gets a streamer just like the UC, but doesn't have a way to be represented on the chest resume.

I've wondered that myself, though the criteria for the merit / distinction is not necessarily on a par with a UC.

I'd say it could be justified that a unit awarded merit could be put in for a UC on that basis, though a UC decorates the
whole unit while merit is specific to the cadet side of the house, and we all know far too many units where the 'twain
ner' meet.

Could be a specific cadet ribbon then. Just something that was on the mind anyway.

No.  Just because it is on the cadet side of the house; there are seniors that make the program run. Pt just the cadets themselves.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on June 25, 2012, 02:43:43 AM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 25, 2012, 02:24:44 AM
Something semi-related: Why isn't there a ribbon for Squadron of Merit/Distinction?

Gets a streamer just like the UC, but doesn't have a way to be represented on the chest resume.

I've wondered that myself, though the criteria for the merit / distinction is not necessarily on a par with a UC.

I'd say it could be justified that a unit awarded merit could be put in for a UC on that basis, though a UC decorates the
whole unit while merit is specific to the cadet side of the house, and we all know far too many units where the 'twain
ner' meet.
Ummmmm NO.....it is a SQUADRON of distinction and a SQUADRON of Merit.....i.e. the whole unit.  Yes it only looks at the Cadet Side of things.....but same story for the UC......If you get it for doing a great job on an ES mission......even those AE and CP guys who did not do any ES stuff get it.

I use the last few National Commander's Unit citations handed out recently.....Katrina, Fosset Search, New Horizons, etc.   I did nothing during the Fosset Search....but got an NCCUC for it it.

On a side note....I have seen units (mine) get turned down for a UC because "you just won SoD, you don't need another award".

So....I too wonder why there is not a ribbon for the SoD and SoM.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ol'fido

Not to add to our ribbon mess, but maybe we should mirror the USAF on this and have about degrees of unit citation. The current UC could be our organizational excellence ribbon, NCCUC could be our equal to the PUC, and add a couple more in between for wings and regions to award that would be the unit version of the Com Com and ESM(?).
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

CAPMajOhio

Quote from: Jquick on June 25, 2012, 12:44:05 AM
I stand corrected as I just referenced CAPR 39-3; however, I disagree with this.  The unit was awarded the citation, and not the individual person or persons.  The individual should receive the commanders commendation, and that should remain in the person service jacket, the unit citation applies to unit at the time the award was bestowed.  IMHO, continued wear once you leave the unit cheapens the award, and down plays the rationale behind the receiving it.  If you disagree, that's fine, but consider submitting you personnel for commanders commendations instead of unit citations.

Eclipse, I apologize for my ignorance in CAPR 39-3; however, take my advice, Starting any post as confrontational as that on does not lend any credibility to your argument.  Discussion boards like these are intended to be a free exchange of ideas, not a place to become argumentative;  temper your post and avoid the usage of trigger words.  Trust me I have years of experience typing documents, emails, position paper,  well as other professional correspondence.  Once you hit enter, it's hard to get it back.

On the other hand, the members helped the Unit earn the award and should continue to receive recognition for their participation on excellent Team work.

Shawn W.

QuoteIncorrect.  If you received the award you do not remove the ribbon if you transfer to a different unit, echelon, or wing.
The awards are permanent.

If you move to a different squadron, wing, etc... Why would a unit citation follow you if it was a citation for that particular unit?  Cite please...

Thanks

RogueLeader

Quote from: Shawn Warneke on July 16, 2012, 01:53:38 AM
QuoteIncorrect.  If you received the award you do not remove the ribbon if you transfer to a different unit, echelon, or wing.

If you move to a different squadron, wing, etc... Why would a unit citation follow you if it was a citation for that particular unit?  Cite please...

Thanks

Because a unit citation awards all people in that unit for that time. I earned it, I keep it. Cite otherwise please.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: Shawn Warneke on July 16, 2012, 01:53:38 AM

39-3 is the cite.  Unit citations are awarded to the individual members who were assigned to the respective unit as their primary assignment
during the period cited, not the "unit" per se.

Processed properly, the Form 120 will contain a list of specific names to whom the UC applies (to the exclusion of all others), either directly or as a PA.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: SarDragon on June 25, 2012, 04:17:05 AM
Quote from: Jquick on June 24, 2012, 09:55:18 PM
Quote from: spacecommand on June 19, 2012, 08:03:47 PM
Correct, you only wear a unit citation only if you were a member of the unit during the time period for which the citation was awarded.

GOOD POINT, likewise, you are only authorized to wear the unit citation while serving with that unit.  I.E. when I moved to a new wing and unit, I no longer wore the unit citation.

If you were in the unit when issued, it was permanent. That remains as part of the rules.

I wish the regs were clearer...so many interpretations...In my unit in WIWG, we had 3 UC awards. When I moved to ARWG, they had none. They won 3 while I was there, so I just kept the ribbon and 2 clasps. Should I have upped the ante and gotten a silver clasp denoting another 3 UCs? If half the camp here is correct, I should have a silver clasp. If the other half are correct I should stick with what I have...

*checks 39-2*

ah HA! Here's the bugger...

CAPR 39-2 Section A subsection 2, paragraph 12, subsection a(2):

blah blah blah "Unit commanders will post the members' records to show their eligibility to wear the ribbon. Once awarded, members may continue to wear the ribbon even if they transfer out of the unit at a later date."

So...If I can prove I was a member of my unit when they got the UC award in WI, then I get more thingies to put on my ribbon.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

LGM30GMCC

Sometimes the two camps are:

Those who are correct and those who are mistaken for one reason or another. 8)

As you dug out the cite, there is no matter of interpretation at all.

The CAP Unit Citation Award somewhat resembles the USAF Outstanding Unit Award. You were a member, you get the ribbon for all time.

I got one for my USAF unit because I processed in to the unit 6 July and the criteria was membership from sometime up until 30 July of that year. I did precisely squat other than in-process and house hunt. Silly though it may be, there's the AF Outstanding Unit ribbon in my records. It may not seem 'fair' or 'right' to some folks, but that doesn't change the simple reality.

2 of my CAP unit citations are for post 9-11 actions of NYWG (not the HQ, NYWG as a whole) and NER. I was a member, my unit did absolutely nothing other than exist. But that's how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Garibaldi

Honestly, I wasn't trying to be a d-bag. It just came out that way. I am very tired as I write this and that post as well, so things came out in a d-baggy fashion. Apologies to anyone who was offended or angered. I'm off to bed. I have a test for the TSA in the morning and I need to sleep for a change.

Eclipse

NHQ recently updated the language for the UC to insure the understanding was correct, so anything your units won earned more than a year or so ago could have fallen under the olde school of "we know the rules, but this way means we can pretend everyone gets a ribbon..."

I had a unit that awarded themselves UC's because the unit had, years previously, been awarded the SoM.  That was a fun conversation.

And yes, if you were a part of those units during the period cited on the UC and/or the 120's, you should be wearing all 5.  Your best bet would be to hit up those former units or wings for copies of the citations.

"That Others May Zoom"

Shawn W.

Got it.. Thanks all for the clarification. :-D

Cheers,

S.W.

ColonelJack

Adding my $0.02 to the fire ...

When I first joined in 1981, the "understanding" was that if you were in the unit, you could wear whatever UCs the unit had earned.  That meant, according to the CC at the time, I could wear the UC with one silver and two bronze clasps.  I thought that looked kind of silly on a brand new SM (right next to the Membership ribbon), so I didn't wear the ribbon at all.  Somewhere along the way, the wing earned a UC, and I wore the plain green ribbon from that time on.

Now, having been a part of the wing when we earned a NCUC, I wear it - and still the plain green ribbon.

I think I did the right thing all along.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

On the topic of Unit Citations; has a Squadron or a Group received one? Usually it is the Wing or Wing HQ that is awarded the UC as far as I know.

What about the NCUC?

Garibaldi

Quote from: Private Investigator on July 17, 2012, 12:49:04 AM
On the topic of Unit Citations; has a Squadron or a Group received one? Usually it is the Wing or Wing HQ that is awarded the UC as far as I know.

What about the NCUC?

My current squadron has 3.

SarDragon

Were you a member of the unit when they were awarded?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: Private Investigator on July 17, 2012, 12:49:04 AM

Actually, exactly the opposite.  With the exception of a few high-visibility wings, the UC is generally awarded to the actual unit, not the unit and its downstream components.

The "001" unit might get a UC, but not the subordinates.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

CAWG (the entire wing) has been awarded two UCs since I transferred in.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on July 17, 2012, 01:18:30 AM
CAWG (the entire wing) has been awarded two UCs since I transferred in.

NYWG, FLWG, & CAWG, seem especially inclined towards this practice, although in their defense some tend to get a lot of
high-visibility, large scale missions.

"That Others May Zoom"