Main Menu

Unit Citation

Started by C/2d Lt, June 19, 2012, 07:06:45 PM

AlphaSigOU

In the olden days when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was but a young cadink CAP (and the Air Force) used to follow the Army's wear rule of unit citations. (And the Air Force used to wear unit citations over the right pocket back in the 50s. Now I'm not THAT old...  ;D ) Eventually, the rule was changed so that you only wear the unit citations earned if you were in that unit during the award period. Unfortunately, there are a great many CAP units who don't bother reading the regs and rely on incorrect information passed down by word of mouth.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

lordmonar

I joined the USAF in 86......and the ARMY rule was long gone by then.....anyone know when the USAF changed?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: lordmonar on June 21, 2012, 08:45:21 PM
I joined the USAF in 86......and the ARMY rule was long gone by then.....anyone know when the USAF changed?

I think it was in the 60s when the wear rule changed. I do remember back when I was a cadet older versions of CAPR 39-3 from as far back as the 70s still had the Army rule.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Hawk200

The old rule was probably in effect back in the '90's. Asked a few cadet one stripers why they had three and four unit citations. Most told me that they were told to wear them.

Seem to recall at the time that it didn't specify that membership in the unit at the time the citation covered was required.

Jquick

Quote from: spacecommand on June 19, 2012, 08:03:47 PM
Correct, you only wear a unit citation only if you were a member of the unit during the time period for which the citation was awarded.

GOOD POINT, likewise, you are only authorized to wear the unit citation while serving with that unit.  I.E. when I moved to a new wing and unit, I no longer wore the unit citation.
"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." ~Alvin Toffler

Eclipse

Quote from: Jquick on June 24, 2012, 09:55:18 PM
Correct, you only wear a unit citation only if you were a member of the unit during the time period for which the citation was awarded.

GOOD POINT, likewise, you are only authorized to wear the unit citation while serving with that unit.  I.E. when I moved to a new wing and unit, I no longer wore the unit citation.

Incorrect.  If you received the award you do not remove the ribbon if you transfer to a different unit, echelon, or wing.
The awards are permanent.

"That Others May Zoom"

Woodsy

I've never heard a firm answer to this question...

In order to wear the award, does one have to be a member for the ENTIRE award period?

Example:  XYZ unit was awarded a unit citation for the period 1/1/2011-12/31/2011.

Member ABC joined after 1/1/2011 but before 12/31/2011.  Is that member entitled to wear the unit citation ribbon?

Jquick

I stand corrected as I just referenced CAPR 39-3; however, I disagree with this.  The unit was awarded the citation, and not the individual person or persons.  The individual should receive the commanders commendation, and that should remain in the person service jacket, the unit citation applies to unit at the time the award was bestowed.  IMHO, continued wear once you leave the unit cheapens the award, and down plays the rationale behind the receiving it.  If you disagree, that's fine, but consider submitting you personnel for commanders commendations instead of unit citations.

Eclipse, I apologize for my ignorance in CAPR 39-3; however, take my advice, Starting any post as confrontational as that on does not lend any credibility to your argument.  Discussion boards like these are intended to be a free exchange of ideas, not a place to become argumentative;  temper your post and avoid the usage of trigger words.  Trust me I have years of experience typing documents, emails, position paper,  well as other professional correspondence.  Once you hit enter, it's hard to get it back. 
"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." ~Alvin Toffler

Eclipse

Quote from: Woodsy on June 25, 2012, 12:42:19 AM
In order to wear the award, does one have to be a member for the ENTIRE award period?

No, you simply have to have been on the roster during the period cited - from day 1 or day 100.

"That Others May Zoom"

Woodsy

Quote from: Eclipse on June 25, 2012, 12:46:10 AM
Quote from: Woodsy on June 25, 2012, 12:42:19 AM

No, you simply have to have been on the roster during the period cited - from day 1 or day 100.

Thanks!

Eclipse

Quote from: Jquick on June 25, 2012, 12:44:05 AM
I stand corrected as I just referenced CAPR 39-3; however, I disagree with this.  The unit was awarded the citation, and not the individual person or persons. 
Actually, since the "unit" is a collection of members, it is the collective effort of the respective members that is being cited for
excellence.

The individual should receive the commanders commendation, and that should remain in the person service jacket, the unit citation applies to unit at the time the award was bestowed.  IMHO, continued wear once you leave the unit cheapens the award, and down plays the rationale behind the receiving it.  If you disagree, that's fine, but consider submitting you personnel for commanders commendations instead of unit citations.
It is not uncommon for individuals in units who are receiving UC's to also receive Comm Comms for their personal efforts in regards to the same collective efforts which earned the UC.

i.e. "SM Johnson's tireless efforts in coordinating the training activities of AZ-007 resulted in the highest level of qualified ES  personnel in the entire wing for a two-year period."  UC for AZ-007, because that's not a singular effort, and Comm Comm for Johnson.

Eclipse, I apologize for my ignorance in CAPR 39-3; however, take my advice, Starting any post as confrontational as that on does not lend any credibility to your argument. 

What lends credibility to my argument is a knowledge of the respective regulations, and checking them before making definitive statements.

Discussion boards like these are intended to be a free exchange of ideas, not a place to become argumentative;  temper your post and avoid the usage of trigger words.  Trust me I have years of experience typing documents, emails, position paper,  well as other professional correspondence.  Once you hit enter, it's hard to get it back.

Welcome to CAP Talk.

"That Others May Zoom"

spaatzmom

I stand corrected as I just referenced CAPR 39-3; however, I disagree with this.  The unit was awarded the citation, and not the individual person or persons.  The individual should receive the commanders commendation, and that should remain in the person service jacket, the unit citation applies to unit at the time the award was bestowed.  IMHO, continued wear once you leave the unit cheapens the award, and down plays the rationale behind the receiving it.  If you disagree, that's fine, but consider submitting you personnel for commanders commendations instead of unit citations.

Eclipse, I apologize for my ignorance in CAPR 39-3; however, take my advice, Starting any post as confrontational as that on does not lend any credibility to your argument.  Discussion boards like these are intended to be a free exchange of ideas, not a place to become argumentative;  temper your post and avoid the usage of trigger words.  Trust me I have years of experience typing documents, emails, position paper,  well as other professional correspondence.  Once you hit enter, it's hard to get it back.

Wow, you are new to this forum and on the defensive already after 4 posts, while Eclipse has been here contributing well over 15k posts.  Where does it say that any debate, which this forum is has to be warm and fuzzy all the time.  These are peoples experiences, observations, and opinions.  If we all had to believe the same thing, it would be very dull and likely a dictatorship.  As long as I can reasonably defend my beliefs with documentation to support my post, I do not mind entertaining another's opinion.  Why don't you?

Jquick

This thread has far digressed from the intended topic.

Майор Хаткевич

Eclipse, I apologize for my ignorance in CAPR 39-3; however, take my advice, Starting any post as confrontational as that on does not lend any credibility to your argument. 

How is it confrontational? Because it said you are incorrect?

Discussion boards like these are intended to be a free exchange of ideas, not a place to become argumentative;

Free? Yes. Freely accepted? No.

temper your post and avoid the usage of trigger words.

Incorrect? Really?

Trust me I have years of experience typing documents, emails, position paper,  well as other professional correspondence.

I also have years of experience typing documents, emails, position papers, and other professional correspondence.  I'm 22.

Once you hit enter, it's hard to get it back.

There's always the edit button, but I suppose I actually agree with this one.

spaatzmom

Quote from: Jquick on June 25, 2012, 01:58:30 AM
This thread has far digressed from the intended topic.

Many of them do just as in normal conversation.  So what is your point?  Don't like the way the thread is going attempt to get it back on track via the moderators or don't respond letting it die on the vine.  Believe me, the moderators are very capable and do their voluntary job quite well.

spacecommand

I have no problems with a member continuing to wear a unit citation when they move to another unit.  It represents part of the member's career along with all the member's other ribbons, in this case it represents that they were a member of a unit that did something that warranted a citation and no way "cheapens" the award.  In my parts it's completely opposite of what you say, I had members transfer into my unit with unit citations, and generally we all view it in high regard. 

Майор Хаткевич

Something semi-related: Why isn't there a ribbon for Squadron of Merit/Distinction?

Gets a streamer just like the UC, but doesn't have a way to be represented on the chest resume.

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 25, 2012, 02:24:44 AM
Something semi-related: Why isn't there a ribbon for Squadron of Merit/Distinction?

Gets a streamer just like the UC, but doesn't have a way to be represented on the chest resume.

I've wondered that myself, though the criteria for the merit / distinction is not necessarily on a par with a UC.

I'd say it could be justified that a unit awarded merit could be put in for a UC on that basis, though a UC decorates the
whole unit while merit is specific to the cadet side of the house, and we all know far too many units where the 'twain
ner' meet.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Jquick on June 24, 2012, 09:55:18 PM

If you were in the unit when issued, it was permanent. That remains as part of the rules.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on June 25, 2012, 02:43:43 AM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 25, 2012, 02:24:44 AM

I've wondered that myself, though the criteria for the merit / distinction is not necessarily on a par with a UC.

I'd say it could be justified that a unit awarded merit could be put in for a UC on that basis, though a UC decorates the
whole unit while merit is specific to the cadet side of the house, and we all know far too many units where the 'twain
ner' meet.

Could be a specific cadet ribbon then. Just something that was on the mind anyway.