Main Menu

Unit Citation

Started by C/2d Lt, June 19, 2012, 07:06:45 PM

C/2d Lt

I have seen lots of cadet that have this ribbon. How are squadrons able to get this or is it a personal thing awarded to a cadet.
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

Kansas Wing Winter Encampment ES Flight-2012       *GTM3, MRO, UDF, FLM, MSA
New York Wing Encampment-
              2012- Golf Flight Inflight
              2013- Charlie Flight Commander- Honor Flight for the Encampment
              2014- Squadron 2 Commander

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

SarDragon

This is a unit (squadron, group, wing, etc) award, hence the name Unit Citation. It is awarded for superior performance over a specified period. There's more about it in CAPR 39-3.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

spacecommand

CAPR 39-3 AWARD OF CAP MEDALS, RIBBONS, AND CERTIFICATES
Corrected Copy 7 February, 2012 - Page 7

"Unit Citation Award. Awarded for exceptionally meritorious service or exceptionally outstanding achievement which clearly sets the unit above and apart from similar units. Members are awarded the Unit Citation ribbon if they were members of the unit during the time period for which the citation is awarded.
(1) Recognition of meritorious service should cover a period of at least 12 months in order to permit the recommending authority to consider simultaneously units with related missions, compare all the units within their wing or region, and select the truly outstanding unit meriting the award.
(2) Recognition of outstanding achievements intended to recognize a single specific act or notable accomplishment that is separate and distinct from the normal mission or regular function of the unit. The period of an outstanding achievement is normally short and characterized by definite beginning and ending dates."

EMT-83

An often-forgotten clause is where the member had to belong to the unit when the award was issued.

Angus

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 19, 2012, 07:39:48 PM
An often-forgotten clause is where the member had to belong to the unit when the award was issued.

That's true until it was pointed out everyone that joined my old unit got one when they joined.  Once it was pointed out that stopped also those of us who were wearing it when we werent'supposed to also stopped and took it off. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

spacecommand

Correct, you only wear a unit citation only if you were a member of the unit during the time period for which the citation was awarded.

SarDragon

User  "Cadet" please check your messages.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Private Investigator

Quote from: Cadet on June 19, 2012, 07:06:45 PM

I have seen lots of cadet that have this ribbon.

If the NYWG got a Unit Citation for the period 7/1/2011 to 12/31/2011 everyone who was a member then got it. You the new guy who joined in January 2012 will not have it but every other Cadet will have it.   8)

MSG Mac

Quote from: Private Investigator on June 20, 2012, 11:34:12 AM
Quote from: Cadet on June 19, 2012, 07:06:45 PM

I have seen lots of cadet that have this ribbon.

If the NYWG got a Unit Citation for the period 7/1/2011 to 12/31/2011 everyone who was a member then got it. You the new guy who joined in January 2012 will not have it but every other Cadet will have it.   8)

Make sure it says "New York Wing" not "New York Wing Headquarters" Headquarters means only those who were assigned to NER_NY-001, and not the entire Wing.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Майор Хаткевич

It's one of my biggest uniform pet peeves - a C/Amn with 5 Unit Citations.  >:D

HGjunkie

Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 20, 2012, 03:15:25 PM
It's one of my biggest uniform pet peeves - a C/Amn with 5 Unit Citations.  >:D
I vote for the army style of unit citations where you can wear the ones the unit earned but not you specifically for as long as you're in the unit...  >:D
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

Quote from: HGjunkie on June 20, 2012, 04:00:04 PMI vote for the army style of unit citations where you can wear the ones the unit earned but not you specifically for as long as you're in the unit...

Why?  Those serve zero purpose to anyone.  They reward nothing, and engender an attitude of entitlement.

"That Others May Zoom"

HGjunkie

Quote from: Eclipse on June 20, 2012, 04:25:45 PM
Quote from: HGjunkie on June 20, 2012, 04:00:04 PMI vote for the army style of unit citations where you can wear the ones the unit earned but not you specifically for as long as you're in the unit...

Why?  Those serve zero purpose to anyone.  They reward nothing, and engender an attitude of entitlement.
You missed the evil smiley at the end of my post. I wasn't completely serious.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

Having browser issues - some of the emoticons aren't rendering correctly.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

When I have browser issues, it's usually because they're in the middle of the aisle and won't move or they're moving like pond water. >:D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

EMT-83

Quote from: Eclipse on June 20, 2012, 06:57:55 PM

Odd, they look fine in IE.

(As hard as I tried, I couldn't stop myself)

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 20, 2012, 07:02:42 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 20, 2012, 06:57:55 PM

Odd, they look fine in IE.

(As hard as I tried, I couldn't stop myself)

May the FSM strike down your broadband and banish you to the evils of AOL dial-up for all eternity for even suggesting that!

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on June 20, 2012, 04:25:45 PM

Roger that. My Army Unit has a PUC from Korea 1953.