Two questions about Awards/ miniature medals

Started by usafcap1, June 02, 2012, 08:10:20 AM

usafcap1

Does CAP use the SM Recruiter miniature Medal or just ribbon? Because I have never seen it until I saw it on the CAP Knowledgebase.

miniature medals? Do you wear then on your blues or are they just for looks. (i.e. in a display case )

Thanks in advance
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

Abby.L

They use both, to my knowledge. It requires 7 recruits, so I don't imagine many people have it.
Mini-medals are worn on Mess Dress(SM only) or you may wear one on the "Semi Formal" blazer uniform(Cadet and SM).

You've been in CAP at least 2 years. I'm surprised you didn't know.

MODIFY:
Page 16, Paragraph k, Sub 2, CAPP 39-3:
"Senior Ribbon.  Awarded to senior members who recruit seven new qualified cadets or
senior members for CAP.  A bronze clasp is awarded for each additional 10 members recruited.  A silver
clasp replaces five bronze clasps.  Bronze clasps are not worn after the silver clasp is awarded.  An
additional silver clasp is awarded for each additional 50 members recruited.  Members recruited as a cadet
may be included in determining entitlement in the case of senior members who were former cadets."

Page 89, paragraph 5-2, CAPM 39-1:
"5-2. When Awards and Decorations are Worn.  Ribbons are mandatory with the USAF service dress
and the semiformal uniforms.  They are optional with all other service uniforms and the aviator shirt. 
No military awards or decorations may be worn on the aviator shirt.  NOTE:  All ribbons and devices
worn by senior members must fall below the top notch of the collar on the service coat or the bottom tip
of the collar of AF-style shirts/blouses worn as outergarments. Miniature medals are mandatory with the
mess dress uniform (men and women).  One miniature medal may be worn on the semiformal blazer
uniform."
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

usafcap1

Quote from: Levilockling on June 02, 2012, 08:24:05 AM

You've been in CAP at least 2 years. I'm surprised you didn't know.

My squadron does not wear them so I have never seen them.

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

Abby.L

Not many do. You'd usually see mess dress, or the much less known about semi formal blazer, at conferences and whatnot. I'd be shocked if my commander even had a service coat, much less mess dress.  ;D
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

usafcap1

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Abby.L

Just so that a certain someone(You know who you are) won't go around grading how well people answer questions, I shall update my original response once more.  >:D
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

usafcap1

Can you choose the medal over the ribbon or vice versa or do you get them both?

(Cadet 2008-2012)

SarDragon

Since you are buying either one, you get what you need. As a cadet, you don't need any.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: usafcap1 on June 02, 2012, 08:55:33 AM
Can you choose the medal over the ribbon or vice versa or do you get them both?

You really will not need the medal.  The ribbon will be sufficient for your needs.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

ßτε

Also, cadets do not earn or wear the Senior Recruiting ribbon or medal.

MSG Mac

Quote from: ß τ ε on June 02, 2012, 01:07:56 PM

The Milestone awards (except for the Wright Bros) all have a miniature medal. Problem unless you're in Mess Dress which is a Senior Uniform, you will have no place to wear them, except the Formal Blue Blazer uniform  and even then the CAPM 39-1 says only wear one mini-medal on that uniform.

CAPM 39-1 23 MARCH 2005 73
CHAPTER 4 – CAP DISTINCTIVE UNIFORMS
4-1. General. Cadet members are authorized to wear the CAP utility uniform, field uniform, and blazer
combinations as desired.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Flying Pig

Also, since I believe you are close to switching over to Senior Member, the ribbons dont cross over.  If you have the cadet recruiter ribbon, the requirements are different for the Senior Recruiter Ribbon/Medal.  Basically you need more people.

GroundHawg

The requirement for Cadet Recruiter Ribbon is 2 and for Senior Member is 7.

That being said, if you recruit 7 as a cadet, when you transition to SM, you can wear the Senior Member Recruiting Ribbon once a 2A is properly filled out.

We had a cadet with 15+ recruits and became a TFO at 18, he wore the SM Recruiter Ribbon with a bronze clasp.

CAPR 39-3 AWARD OF CAP MEDALS, RIBBONS, AND CERTIFICATES 7 February 2012

21. Criteria for Award of Service Ribbons:

k. Recruiter Ribbons. Awarded by the unit commander to cadets and senior members in recognition of outstanding efforts to recruit new members for CAP.
(1) Cadet Ribbon. Awarded to cadets who recruit two new qualified cadets or senior members for CAP. A bronze clasp is awarded for each additional two members recruited. A silver clasp replaces five bronze clasps. Bronze clasps are not worn after the silver clasp is awarded. An additional silver clasp will be awarded for each additional 10 members recruited.
(2) Senior Ribbon. Awarded to senior members who recruit seven new qualified cadets or senior members for CAP. A bronze clasp is awarded for each additional 10 members recruited. A silver clasp replaces five bronze clasps. Bronze clasps are not worn after the silver clasp is awarded. An additional silver clasp is awarded for each additional 50 members recruited. Members recruited as a cadet may be included in determining entitlement in the case of senior members who were former cadets.

usafcap1

Quote from: ß τ ε on June 02, 2012, 01:07:56 PM

I am fully aware of that. Thank you

(Cadet 2008-2012)