Main Menu

Boot regs?

Started by LadyROBOcop, September 14, 2011, 09:12:12 PM

LadyROBOcop

I wanna get new boots because the ones I have were given to me from my unit supply and they are too big. I have small feet and seems I would need a size 6 or 7 regular, the ones I have now are 8. Just want to know if there is any specific "type" other than the 2 listed on vanguard (jungle and leather combat) or if the boots just have to be black. Not looking to spend too much maybe around the $50 range.

Extremepredjudice

39-1 has the regs.

If you go to an army/navy store they should have boots.

Make sure you can polish the boots.

Other than that it is really personal preference.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Al Sayre

Check out Wardens:  http://wardenssupplyco.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6&sort=20a&page=1

Here is a size chart, so if you can't find someting in women's try a comparable/equivalent one in men's:    http://wardenssupplyco.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=739

Also
Bargain Outfitters (Men's are much cheaper):  http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net/Main.aspx
Sportsman's Guide: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/Main.aspx?
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Eclipse on September 14, 2011, 10:13:20 PM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 14, 2011, 09:16:00 PM
Make sure you can polish the boots.

Why?
So he should buy boots that don't polish?
Because boots that polish are better because you want to look professional.
And pass inspections.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Eclipse

There is no regulatory requirement that boots be polish-able, unless they are worn with a dress uniform.
Tactical-style boots are perfectly acceptable, more readily available, and are arguably more appropriate for members who don't wear combat boots on a regular basis.  They are literally available at Walmart under $50.

As long as they are kept neat and clean, there is no reason tac boots would not pass a properly performed inspection. 

Last I checked, the majority of the military services have moved, or are moving, away from polish-able boots for the majority of their personnel.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

I don't think I have ever seen split sued boots in black......but I agree...if someone were to find them then they can wear them.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jks19714

The Army ditched their shiny boots when they went to the ACU (2006?).

http://www.tacticalgearcommand.com/acu/regulations.html

When you're in the field, shiny boots are a PITA.  FINALLY some of the Uniform Nazis (cousins of the Soup Nazis) made a good decision.  How it got past some of the SGMs is a mystery to me though.  ;D

Why we need to have members spending time shining their boots back up after tromping through the fields and woods looking for crash sites and ELTs is a mystery to me too.
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on September 14, 2011, 10:41:00 PM
I don't think I have ever seen split sued boots in black......but I agree...if someone were to find them then they can wear them.

My wing's DC wears them with the Blue field uniform, not my cup of tea, but they look very nice.

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

CAPM 39-1
Table 2.1
7, footwear.

:) highly polished=polishable boots.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

PA Guy

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 14, 2011, 10:47:50 PM
CAPM 39-1
Table 2.1
7, footwear.

I believe your cite refers to footwear worn with the Men's Service, Mess Dress and Semi Formal uniforms not BDUs.

When you come in from the field knock the crud off of them slap some polish on buff them and you should be good to go.

SarDragon

OK, now let's look at the whole citation, and not just the little piece that supports you.

This one's from the dress uniform section:

Black, with or without safety toe; must have a
plain rounded toe or rounded capped toe with
or without perforated seam; zipper or elastic
inserts are optional; no designs. Highly
polished, high gloss, or patent leather.

This one's from the BDU section:

Black, with or without safety toe, plain rounded toe or rounded capped
toe with or without perforated seam. Zipper or elastic inserts optional,
smooth or scotch-grained leather or man-made material, and may have a
high gloss or patent finish.

The rest of the footwear entries are non-specific about shininess.

Since the OP is likely going to be wearing these boots with a utility type uniform, shininess isn't important, or a requirement.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: PA Guy on September 14, 2011, 11:02:04 PM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 14, 2011, 10:47:50 PM
CAPM 39-1
Table 2.1
7, footwear.

I believe your cite refers to footwear worn with the Men's Service, Mess Dress and Semi Formal uniforms not BDUs.

When you come in from the field knock the crud off of them slap some polish on buff them and you should be good to go.
While I do agree don't go uniform natzi on GT's boots, they should polish them. It keeps the boots in better condition, and waterproofs them better. Just saying.

Lots of bad things happen to wet feet in enclosed spaces, especially if they are in there for a long time.

But still, unless you are going to buy 2 pairs of boots, you need some that came be polished.

Sardragon, oops, I didn't realise I was in the wrong section. You are correct.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Eclipse

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 14, 2011, 11:11:02 PM
But still, unless you are going to buy 2 pairs of boots, you need some that came be polished.

Again, please cite a single situation in CAP which mandates that you purchase boots that requiring polishing.

Dress uniforms allow for their wear, that doesn't make them required.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

I keep hearing people say you need to keep your boots polished to help waterproof them. If they are not Goretex or an equivalent, polish may help but the judicious application of Mink Oil will go a lot farther than the Kiwi.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

titanII

Quote from: ol'fido on September 15, 2011, 12:08:40 AM
I keep hearing people say you need to keep your boots polished to help waterproof them. If they are not Goretex or an equivalent, polish may help but the judicious application of Mink Oil will go a lot farther than the Kiwi.
+1,000,000
Hmmm, which is better for waterproofing, wax or the oils of an animal that spends most of it's time in the water? ;D
If you really care about the functionality of your boots,  then you WILL get ones with Gore-Texx and Vibram-type soles. Nothing else is as good.
No longer active on CAP talk

Eclipse

Sympatex seems to be more prevalent in boots then Gore-Tex, but it's the same idea.

"That Others May Zoom"

dogboy

Quote from: LadyROBOcop on September 14, 2011, 09:12:12 PM
I wanna get new boots . Not looking to spend too much maybe around the $50 range.

For a Cadet (with feet that will outgrow boots in a year) and non-Ground Team Senior members, I recommend boot 5094 at

http://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/products.asp?cat=101

decent boots for $50.

The typical non-Ground Team Senior will never wear them out and a cadet will outgrow them.

Note: my Wing requires all-leather boots for aircrew.

PHall

Quote from: dogboy on September 15, 2011, 03:27:52 AM
I wanna get new boots . Not looking to spend too much maybe around the $50 range.

For a Cadet (with feet that will outgrow boots in a year) and non-Ground Team Senior members, I recommend boot 5094 at

http://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/products.asp?cat=101

decent boots for $50.

The typical non-Ground Team Senior will never wear them out and a cadet will outgrow them.

Yeah, California Wing tried to tell me that the fabric sided Bellevue flight boots I was issued in the Air Force weren't "good enough".
I ignored them. The bloody things are certified flight boots and are also good to go for chemical environments too. ::)

SARDOC

Quote from: dogboy on September 15, 2011, 03:27:52 AM

Um...Why is that?   Is this the same state that requires all aircrew wear nomex too?

Eclipse

Quote from: Eclipse on September 14, 2011, 10:42:20 PM

My wing's DC wears them with the Blue field uniform, not my cup of tea, but they look very nice.

Turns out they are US Navy issue for wear with the NWU (authorized only for wear ashore):
http://www1.netc.navy.mil/swos/SWOS_Files/docs/NWUFAQ.doc

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/19848M/0/Mens/9-inch-US-Navy-Suede-DuraShocks-Steel-Toe-Boot?dimensions=0
(They sure ain't cheap, ranging online from $2-300 dollars)
They have a very unique and "flat" appearance, and I'm told they are very comfortable.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

They look nice but my new boot budget isn't that big...

Майор Хаткевич

Looks like the basic shape of jungle boots. Since I got mine 8.5 years ago, used, they have been good to me. But they may need replacement soon.

Eclipse

I see a few on eBay under $100, assuming they aren't knock offs.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on September 15, 2011, 02:49:56 PM

Turns out they are US Navy issue for wear with the NWU (authorized only for wear ashore):

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/19848M/0/Mens/9-inch-US-Navy-Suede-DuraShocks-Steel-Toe-Boot?dimensions=0
They have a very unique and "flat" appearance, and I'm told they are very comfortable.

Those don't meet the reg because they are not smooth or scotch grain leather.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

sandman

Quote from: davidsinn on September 15, 2011, 03:45:39 PM

Not a problem if you choose to wear the blue BDU (aka "CAP Field Uniform): "Any type plain black shoe or boot may be worn."
(I mean...right guys? You've already looked this up....I'm not quoting any "breaking news", am I?)
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

Grumpy

I wanna get new boots because the ones I have were given to me from my unit supply and they are too big. I have small feet and seems I would need a size 6 or 7 regular, the ones I have now are 8. Just want to know if there is any specific "type" other than the 2 listed on vanguard (jungle and leather combat) or if the boots just have to be black. Not looking to spend too much maybe around the $50 range.

Wal-mart has them on sale for $31.00.  8 eyelet, jungle type, blk

Major Lord

It should be crystal clear to anyone in the Cadet Program that boots don't have to be polished, just uniformly black. Cadets love to turn the BDU combo into a garrison uniform, with pressed in seams where none live according to nature, sewn down pocket flaps, cardboard hat stiffeners, and enough starch to make the uniform go up like a white phosphorus grenade in a tank of Avgas. That being said, wear of boots is authorized for wear with the Service Uniform, and you should not wear your snake-bit, scraped and plastic zip ties replacing your laces on side-zip tactical boots. I wear boots with blues during activities like BCS, etc and find them a lot more comfortable for extended wear than low-quarters, but that's the only time I would spend the time to actually polish ( versus clean and re-black) a pair of boots. I maintain two pair: field and garrison. I usually buy mine at Big 5, when their tactical boots go on sale, I stock up.

Major Lord

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Spaceman3750

Quote from: sandman on September 15, 2011, 04:28:33 PM

Not a problem if you choose to wear the blue BDU (aka "CAP Field Uniform): "Any type plain black shoe or boot may be worn."
(I mean...right guys? You've already looked this up....I'm not quoting any "breaking news", am I?)

I wonder what happens to them when you, say, take a trip through a stream, rainstorm, or 8" of snow.

Eclipse

Quote from: sandman on September 15, 2011, 04:28:33 PMNot a problem if you choose to wear the blue BDU (aka "CAP Field Uniform): "Any type plain black shoe or boot may be worn."(I mean...right guys? You've already looked this up....I'm not quoting any "breaking news", am I?)

Correct - the only person I know who wears them does so with the BBU.  I only posted the photos as an example and Lord mentioned if black sued existed, they'ed be fine.

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on September 15, 2011, 07:04:22 PM
I wonder what happens to them when you, say, take a trip through a stream, rainstorm, or 8" of snow.
I would imagine your feet get pretty wet and the suede will get stained - not the kind of thing I'd wear in the field rainy conditions, snow, etc.
However on a ramp at an airshow, encampment, or unit meeting, they would fit the bill fine.

Bottom line, boots don't have to be shine-able to be within reg, and using the age-old "shine parties" as the reasoning doesn't fly anymore because the majority of the services are moving away from shine-able boots, as their people have more important things to do with their time.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Epic grave dig, but appropriate instead of a new topic. What of someone wanted white laces? Nothing in CAPM39-1 specifies lace color...

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 24, 2013, 04:06:30 AM
Epic grave dig, but appropriate instead of a new topic. What of someone wanted white laces? Nothing in CAPM39-1 specifies lace color...

And an atomic wedgie.

But you're correct, the only comment about shoelaces is in regards to the Honor Guard uniform.  Something else to fix, I suppose, in the new rev, if only to negate the conversation.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

And convo there is! You specifically sir would go ballistic. :)

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 24, 2013, 04:15:16 AM
And convo there is! You specifically sir would go ballistic. :)

I can only imagine.

The argument could be made on a common sense level, or from a regs standpoint that no standard combat boot comes with white laces, etc.,
but the odds are if they showed up that way, they are trying to either make a "statement", or are totally clueless.  Either is going to make
for a long afternoon.

Then there's the other part about a unit CC who let's them wear them that way for meetings, too.

You could also have them talk to a Chief about it.  :clap:

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I wore white ladder-laces in my boots to a meeting one night, WIWAC, just for a reaction check, and, as expected, I was promptly requested to find some black laces. They looked sharp, but were not uniform, so therefore not permitted.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

That Anonymous Guy

I wanted to get some boots (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00814TZ94) that don't polish. Their worm by the Marines in tan and issued to the SEAL candidates at BUDs, made in the USA. What do you guys think?

vento

Quote from: That Anonymous Guy on April 24, 2013, 12:10:40 PM
I wanted to get some boots (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00814TZ94) that don't polish. Their worm by the Marines in tan and issued to the SEAL candidates at BUDs, made in the USA. What do you guys think?

Looks good to me. A little pricey, but that what's we pay for a good pair of boots. Bates are comfortable.

Storm Chaser

Polishing boots may not be required by regulation, but depending on the boot material (i.e. type of leather) they can look more professional if shined. When I wore black leather boots in the Air Force, it was common to shine them; although in some career fields they were probably not shined as much. When my current Air Force suede boots get dirty or stained, it's really hard to clean them and they don't look good after awhile. I've never had that problem with black leather boots. In fact, I still shine my CAP boots and they always look pretty good.

That Anonymous Guy

Quote from: vento on April 24, 2013, 03:18:40 PM
Quote from: That Anonymous Guy on April 24, 2013, 12:10:40 PM

Looks good to me. A little pricey, but that what's we pay for a good pair of boots. Bates are comfortable.
Yeah my last boots were $60 and made in China and haven't even lasted a year. So I figured with two years left in the program these will actually save money.

Devil Doc

I just bought some old Military Black Army Boots at the Army Navy store. Do i wish i had some boots that had the zipper on the side or looks stylish sure. But i got them for like 40 bucks. Boots are boots IMO
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

That Anonymous Guy

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 24, 2013, 07:28:12 PM
Boots are boots IMO
Unless they start cracking and peeling in the back as a c/A1C.

NIN

If you live in one of the northeastern states that are "not far" from Rhode Island, you can find an Ocean State Job Lot (kind of like Big Lots) and they carry black ICB-style boots from Wellco (they have the desert-style boots, too, but the black ICB-style are probably far more interesting) for like $25 or something.

They also have black oxford style shoes for around $20.

http://oceanstatejoblot.com/locate/

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

These do not look like rough out leather. Why can't you put a little polish on them?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

bflynn

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 24, 2013, 04:05:56 PMthey can look more professional if shined.

I don't know about professional, but when shined they sure look like someone spent a lot of effort on them.  I'm rarely impressed, what else could have been accomplished in that time that would have a real impact on operations?

Storm Chaser

Quote from: bflynn on April 25, 2013, 03:25:13 AM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 24, 2013, 04:05:56 PMthey can look more professional if shined.

I don't know about professional, but when shined they sure look like someone spent a lot of effort on them.  I'm rarely impressed, what else could have been accomplished in that time that would have a real impact on operations?

It teaches cadets excellence and attention to details. Using that argument, we would have to get rid of drill and ceremonies, customs and courtesies, etc. since they have no "real impact on operations".

a2capt

Everything in moderation. They don't have to mirror gloss. But sitting around at the end of the day, in the staff room at encampment provides plenty of time, while recapping the days events.. if you're spending hours on hours, you're doing something wrong.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 25, 2013, 03:58:14 AM
Quote from: bflynn on April 25, 2013, 03:25:13 AM

It teaches cadets excellence and attention to details. Using that argument, we would have to get rid of drill and ceremonies, customs and courtesies, etc. since they have no "real impact on operations".

I agree.

When I was on active duty in the Marines we had Marines after Boot Camp that became 'slackers'. When asked why they had something that was "unsatisfactory". Their excuse is, "I am a field Marine!" Well in 'the field', those slackers who was slackers in garrison, were slackers in the field too. 

And we all know about 'excuses', everyone has one   ;)

J2H

I wear black Jungle boots... I can polish if needed, paid 55 for them (and NOT rothcos)
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

bflynn

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 25, 2013, 03:58:14 AMwe would have to get rid of drill and ceremonies, customs and courtesies, etc. since they have no "real impact on operations".

Drill and C&C teach discipline, belonging, respect and teamwork, which absolutely have real impact on operations.

Sitting at home and putting a mirror shine on a pair of shoes looks like you spent too much time on them.  Each person only has so much time and energy, why encourage anyone to waste that time.  If someone spends hours trying to shine shoes rather than working on their next award or qualification, which has a direct impact on our missions?

I'm not suggesting that people be allowed to look like dirt bags.  The standard is for blackened shoes.  My personal preference is to brush them off to a glossy shine and make sure the sides of the soles are blackened.  They look professional, just like they do when I wear them for work.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: bflynn on April 25, 2013, 06:08:31 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 25, 2013, 03:58:14 AMwe would have to get rid of drill and ceremonies, customs and courtesies, etc. since they have no "real impact on operations".

Drill and C&C teach discipline, belonging, respect and teamwork, which absolutely have real impact on operations.

Sitting at home and putting a mirror shine on a pair of shoes looks like you spent too much time on them. Each person only has so much time and energy, why encourage anyone to waste that time.  If someone spends hours trying to shine shoes rather than working on their next award or qualification, which has a direct impact on our missions?

I'm not suggesting that people be allowed to look like dirt bags.  The standard is for blackened shoes.  My personal preference is to brush them off to a glossy shine and make sure the sides of the soles are blackened.  They look professional, just like they do when I wear them for work.

Ahh...but I never said "mirror shine"; you did. I also didn't say you had to spend "too much time on them"; you did. In fact, if you spend "too much time" shining boots, you're probably not doing it right. Unless they're really dirty, I can shine mine in 5-10 minutes.

As someone who's been wearing Air Force uniforms for over 26 years, both in CAP and in the Air Force (active duty, guard and reserve),  and I stand by what I said before: shined boots look more professional.

bflynn

I didn't claim that you said it.  I said it. 

But I do challenge the idea that you can spit shine a pair of boots in 5 minutes, unless you're talking about just touching up an existing shine.  I can't get my kit out, shine normally, blacken the soles and put everything away in 5 minutes.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: bflynn on April 25, 2013, 08:43:19 PM
I didn't claim that you said it.  I said it. 

But I do challenge the idea that you can spit shine a pair of boots in 5 minutes, unless you're talking about just touching up an existing shine.  I can't get my kit out, shine normally, blacken the soles and put everything away in 5 minutes.

Maybe you need training.

NIN

I haven't worn my jump boots in like 4 years. They still look pretty tip-top. 'Bout 10 minutes and they'd be color guard/funeral ready.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

a2capt

Not quite five minutes, by the clock, but sure seemed like it. A couple of guys did it in front of me at HIWG encampment.. while we were sitting in the office going over stuff after the days activities.

J2H

High gloss boots ;-)

Grumpy

Quote from: J2H on April 28, 2013, 03:53:06 PM
High gloss boots ;-)

If you're talking about those things that look like patton leather (SP?).  The ones I have seen look cheap.  I'd rather give my leather boots a good old fashioned spit shine. 

Luis R. Ramos

Quote from: Grumpy on April 28, 2013, 04:33:02 PM

If you're talking about those things that look like patton pattern leather (SP?).  The ones I have seen look cheap.  I'd rather give my leather boots a good old fashioned spit shine.

FTFY

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

a2capt

Quote from: flyer333555 on April 28, 2013, 04:40:51 PMIf you're talking about those things that look like patton pattern leather (SP?).
I think you mean 'patent' leather.. pseudo patent..

Luis R. Ramos

Drat.

Failed the test.

:-[

You are right. Should have been "Patent" leather.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

SarDragon

Real patent leather is actually real leather, with special processing. This in not to be confused with variants of poromeric material, the stuff originally known as Corfam.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

J2H

I wear Galls High Gloss boots or jungles

Grumpy

What happens when you scratch them?  How do you go about fixing the scratch?  With polish, I just fill it in.
Plus, I can get my boots to look better than patent leather or Corfam.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Grumpy on April 30, 2013, 09:13:56 PM
What happens when you scratch them?  How do you go about fixing the scratch?  With polish, I just fill it in.

That's one of the reasons I always polish my boots; even my field pair. The shoe polish protects the leather and when they get scratched, I can put more polish on top and fill in the scratch.

Eclipse

Quote from: J2H on April 30, 2013, 09:05:28 PM

For field use?

What happens when you scratch them?  How do you go about fixing the scratch?

You can't.  Anything more then the most superficial scuff ruins them permanently, and will look worse then an unshined normal boot.
These are intended for parades, not active wear.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Looks nice. And impractical.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on April 30, 2013, 09:35:15 PM

For field use?

You can't.  Anything more then the most superficial scuff ruins them permanently, and will look worse then an unshined normal boot.

I was referring to regular leather on my previous post. I would not wear high gloss boots even for a special event. They're just not my cup of tea.

Grumpy

Quote from: Eclipse on April 30, 2013, 09:35:15 PM

For field use?

A little elbow grease and Kiwi, rolled cotton, a lighter and water.  I can get me leather boots to look like that.

NIN

Ahhh, the kabuki theater of the profession of arms....
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

J2H

I wear them at meetings. And for my security gig.  Wore  them as an armorer too in Germany

airmaneaster12

If your boots can't take a shine at first try heating them uo with a lighter
The best Airman in the fighting force!

SarDragon

Quote from: airmaneaster12 on May 19, 2013, 05:54:08 PM

NO, NO, NO!

That's the easiest way to wreck the leather! Also, melting the polish makes some of the good stuff evaporate, and degrades it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

bflynn

We've been through that in a uniform thread recently.  The purpose for polishing boots is to work the wax into the leather and make the boots last longer.  The purpose of heating wax and melting it so it can quickly be buffed to a high shine is to look good. 

Using the first method and a few weeks of work, you can get high gloss boots.  Using the second, you can get damaged boots that look shiny in a few hours.  They're your boots, your call.

Grumpy

Quote from: SarDragon on May 19, 2013, 08:48:30 PM
Quote from: airmaneaster12 on May 19, 2013, 05:54:08 PM

NO, NO, NO!

That's the easiest way to wreck the leather! Also, melting the polish makes some of the good stuff evaporate, and degrades it.
Interesting.  I've been melting my polish into my boots since I was a cadet back in 1959 and all through my Air Force years.  Especially when working the Main Gate as one of them there "Aero Policemen".  I'm still doing it that way.  Never had any problem and I'm not saying that to be snide Dave.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret