Main Menu

NRA Badges

Started by rdmcii, March 04, 2010, 06:17:18 PM

CAPOfficer

Quote from: Ned on March 09, 2010, 01:34:01 AM
OK, let's take care of this the right way.

It appears that the NRA badge permitted for wear on the cadet uniform has been OBE (Overtaken By Events) and is no longer a part of the NRA program.

I can carry the water for the regulation change, but I need some help.  I am not an NRA instructor, nor am I particularly familiar with their current marksmanship programs.

So let's make CAPTalk an Agent for Change on this:

Let's collectively do the research and decide what the reg ought to permit, and write up the suggested change.  It doesn't have to be a work of art.  Once we agree on what should work, I will take it to the Uniform Committee/NB/NEC/whoever and get 'er done.

Ground rules:

1.  The goal is to find one or more badges that can be reasonably earned by a Phase I or II cadet using an approved and verifiable NRA program.

2.  We will need to specify exactly which badge(s) can be worn.

3.  We should identify a process to allow for a change when/if the NRA changes their programs.  (So we don't wind up like we are now.)

Who will help?

Ned Lee
Lt Col, CAP
National Cadet Advisor

Wouldn't it be simpler to just delete the word "junior" out of the terminology in CAPM 39-1, Table 6-2, item 11, to read, "National Rifle Association Marksmanship Badge (Earned in accordance with NRA program.) (Cadets only)", than to attempt to reinvent a new program?  After all, the old program was not made for CAP specifically, but for a certain age group of youth in general.

An NRA marksmanship program already exist and is being utilized by our members, it is just identified by a different name.  How does the old saying go, "A rose is a rose..."

Further, I may be incorrect, but it has always been an NRA program, controlled and conducted by NRA instructors.  I do not see how CAP can or would even be willing to become involved with the management of the program; it belongs to the NRA.  The only part that involves CAP is the authorization of the NRA Medals on the CAP uniform.

The only additional change I would suggest is to restrict it to "rifle" only (no pistol or shotgun badges).

Anyway, that is my opinion.

cap235629

Quote from: CAPOfficer on March 09, 2010, 05:03:18 AM

The only additional change I would suggest is to restrict it to "rifle" only (no pistol or shotgun badges).

Why? All of our armed services use all 3 of the weapons systems mentioned.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

fquinonez

Quote from: cap235629 on March 09, 2010, 05:28:33 AM
Quote from: CAPOfficer on March 09, 2010, 05:03:18 AM

Why? All of our armed services use all 3 of the weapons systems mentioned.

All of our armed services may employ all 3 weapons systems, but not all service members qualify with all 3 platforms.  Not only that, but following your logic, I should be able to qualify with a Howitzer since that is what I fired in the Corps.

As far as why rifle only, the rifle is a great teaching platform for a younger and smaller cadet.  NRA has a great .22LR program, and it can lead to NCAA & USOC smallbore shooting programs and scholarships.  Our goal wit the cadet program should be to teach and develope leadership and encourage our young men and women to continue to strive for greatness.  If they want to shoot other toys, that is mom & dad's job & responsibility, not Civil Air Patrols.

As an added note to the above, we should remember that marksmanship in the CAP Cadet Program is relatively new.  When I was a cadet we were not allowed because we are a benevolent program.  Let's not blow it by pushing too hard.

Hawk200

Quote from: fquinonez on March 09, 2010, 06:02:12 AMNot only that, but following your logic, I should be able to qualify with a Howitzer since that is what I fired in the Corps.
It's not the same logic. His logic is that rifles, pistols, and shotguns are all used in the military, therefore a marksmanship program should cover it all. For that matter, all those items are readily available in the civilian world as well.

He didn't say a [darn] thing about howitzers, and the only person that tried to twist the logic was you.

Quote from: fquinonez on March 09, 2010, 06:02:12 AMAs far as why rifle only, the rifle is a great teaching platform for a younger and smaller cadet.  NRA has a great .22LR program, and it can lead to NCAA & USOC smallbore shooting programs and scholarships.  Our goal wit the cadet program should be to teach and develope leadership and encourage our young men and women to continue to strive for greatness.  If they want to shoot other toys, that is mom & dad's job & responsibility, not Civil Air Patrols.
Any weapon is a teaching platform. All have common aspects.

Quote from: fquinonez on March 09, 2010, 06:02:12 AMAs an added note to the above, we should remember that marksmanship in the CAP Cadet Program is relatively new.  When I was a cadet we were not allowed because we are a benevolent program.  Let's not blow it by pushing too hard.
There's no marksmanship training in CAP now. Yes, I know, cadets can go shoot, but there aren't any CAP instructors for it. We don't do any of the actual training, we just have attending bodies.

fquinonez

Marksmanship in CAP is new, in that it is an allowed event per regulations.  In the past, it was not allowed unless it was military familiarization firing.  Allowing today's cadets to participate in firearms training under specific qualified supervision is spelled out specifically in the 52-16.  In the past it was a specific restriction.

Ned

Quote from: fquinonez on March 09, 2010, 06:43:44 PM
Marksmanship in CAP is new, in that it is an allowed event per regulations.  In the past, it was not allowed unless it was military familiarization firing.  Allowing today's cadets to participate in firearms training under specific qualified supervision is spelled out specifically in the 52-16.  In the past it was a specific restriction.

Just a matter of perspective, I guess.

Cadets have been participating in marksmanship training, most of it optional, since the cadet program was created during WWII.

Cadets have been able to earn the NRA badges for at least 40 years.

You are certainly correct that the 52-16 was revised to allow a broader range of qualified instructors to present the training.  (And that was a Good Thing.)

But wings like Washington have conducted numerous Marksmenship Encampments specifically devoted to training cadets in the safe handling of firearms and marksmenship for years and years.

It just depends on local leadership and squadron interest.

Ned Lee
Former Cadet & Old Guy

pierson777

About seven years ago, I asked CAP knowledgebase this same question about the NRA badges, but it was never answered.  I then email my question to CAP membership services, and they responded that the the current NRA badges were okay for our cadets.  I responded that CAP needed to fix the reg to support what I was being told by membership services.  I was worried that cadets who earned a badge would be challenged if they wore it...and now this new knowledgebase answer contradicts what I was told.  I saved a hardcopy of the email from membership services to support wearing the badge in case anyone challenged the cadets fro wearing them.  Unfortunately, another senior member wanted to use my continuity binder for marksmanship training, and I haven't seen it (or the email hardcopy) in over two years.  Bummer.