Main Menu

NRA Badges

Started by rdmcii, March 04, 2010, 06:17:18 PM

rdmcii

I posted a question to knowledgebase, I am unsure if this is my question re-worded or a composite qustion:

"Are cadets allowed to receive a Marksmanship Medal/Award through the NRA as shown in CAPM 39-1? 

Answer
  The NRA no longer offers the Junior National Rifle Association Marksmanship Badge described in CAPM 39-1.  At one time the National Rifle Association had a Junior NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program for young people, and CAP allowed cadets who earned the badge to wear it on the service uniform. The NRA program has since been changed. It has been incorporated with other awards that go from Pro-marksman through the nationally recognized Distinguished Expert.  Cadets who previously earned the badge under the old criteria may continue to wear it as long as they are cadets.

The national board/NEC would need to review the new NRA program and establish criteria before additional awards of the marksmanship badge. Whether future cadets will be allowed to earn and wear some type of marksmanship badge is an issue the national board will need to consider and decide."

I post it here, cause I see an awful lot of the badges in Volunteer, and I could not make heads or tails of the CAPM 39-1 INTENT myself, why authorize a badge no one of cadet age could have earned? Silly me, it was possible

Eclipse

Are you seeing NRA badges or military marksmanship?  There have been a fair number of cadets in my AOR who have joined the guard and wear those shooting badges on their service dress.

"That Others May Zoom"

rdmcii

"Are you seeing NRA badges or military marksmanship?  There have been a fair number of cadets in my AOR who have joined the guard and wear those shooting badges on their service dress."

I think NRA, but military marksmanship badges are not authorized anyway

Hawk200

Quote from: rdmcii on March 04, 2010, 06:17:18 PM
I posted a question to knowledgebase, I am unsure if this is my question re-worded or a composite qustion:

"Are cadets allowed to receive a Marksmanship Medal/Award through the NRA as shown in CAPM 39-1? 

Answer
  The NRA no longer offers the Junior National Rifle Association Marksmanship Badge described in CAPM 39-1.  At one time the National Rifle Association had a Junior NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program for young people, and CAP allowed cadets who earned the badge to wear it on the service uniform. The NRA program has since been changed. It has been incorporated with other awards that go from Pro-marksman through the nationally recognized Distinguished Expert.  Cadets who previously earned the badge under the old criteria may continue to wear it as long as they are cadets.

The national board/NEC would need to review the new NRA program and establish criteria before additional awards of the marksmanship badge. Whether future cadets will be allowed to earn and wear some type of marksmanship badge is an issue the national board will need to consider and decide."

I post it here, cause I see an awful lot of the badges in Volunteer, and I could not make heads or tails of the CAPM 39-1 INTENT myself, why authorize a badge no one of cadet age could have earned? Silly me, it was possible
I've seen the actual badge mentioned in 39-1, and only one cadet that ever had it. I knew what it was, but had never seen one prior to that. Asked him about it, he told me it had taken him almost three years to earn.

Many people interpreted that line in 39-1 as allowing any NRA badge to be worn. But the badge mentioned is actually a specific one, not a generalized grouping.

Quote from: rdmcii on March 04, 2010, 08:07:10 PMI think NRA, but military marksmanship badges are not authorized anyway
Military Marksmanship badges are not, but there are Deputy Commander of Marksmanship badges that are. Those badges are listed in Table 6-5 (page 116), and include the "Air Force Distinguished Rifleman and Pistol Shot Badge", the "Silver Excellence-in-Competition Rifle and Pistol Badge with Wreath", and the "Bronze Excellence-in-Competition Rifle and Pistol Badge With or Without Wreath".

A website that explains a little more detail is here: http://www.airforceshooting.org/

I have seen someone dress down a person wearing a Silver EIC badge, and showed both individuals where it was listed in 39-1. Make absolutely certain that it's not one of these authorized badges before calling someone on it. There's a lot that goes into earning them.

Although it would be possible for a cadet to earn one, it's probably unlikely that you would actually see one with it. But, then again, I have seen a cadet with the "Junior National Rifle Association Marksmanship Badge" so it's not impossible (unless they're under 17). But it probably wouldn't be more than a couple.

Fuzzy

The Chairman wears an NRA badge. Looks like the gold sharpshooter one.

You'd think someone would stop him if it was incorrect. Considering his level at the program.

At least thats my thinking.
C/Capt Semko

rdmcii

No argument with hawk about those few USAF badges that are authorized. I knew when I wrote it that someone would notice and call me on it.

I wore a NRA Jr Marksman badge as a cadet many many years ago, and where there is a program you might (have) seen lots of cadets with it. The issue is the JUNIOR marksman program was discontinud so long ago that no one of cadet age could possibly have earned it.

rdmcii

to further elaborate: The old JR program had a pretty wide range of badges, all authorized (to ware one) but the currently awarded badges are not the junior program, and have not been for years.

Hawk200

Quote from: Fuzzy on March 04, 2010, 10:40:45 PMYou'd think someone would stop him if it was incorrect. Considering his level at the program.

At least thats my thinking.
Considering how many people don't even know the contents of 39-1, there's a flaw to that. I've gently corrected a number of people on all kinds of things that are in the manual, but they don't know because they never read it.

I asked the cadets at the local unit (my former unit), how they knew what to put on the uniform. Most of them said that they just looked at someone elses. Asked seniors the same thing, they said that they did what someone told them to do.

Quote from: rdmcii on March 04, 2010, 10:55:12 PM
to further elaborate: The old JR program had a pretty wide range of badges, all authorized (to ware one) but the currently awarded badges are not the junior program, and have not been for years.
I've only seen one of the badges. Were they a stepped type program, with gold, silver and bronze? Or were there differences in the hangers to denote different aspects? I've done loads of web searches, but I've found so few results that I'd wondered if it was one of those programs that was popular before it was popular to put everything on the internet.

rdmcii

"I've only seen one of the badges. Were they a stepped type program, with gold, silver and bronze? Or were there differences in the hangers to denote different aspects? I've done loads of web searches, but I've found so few results that I'd wondered if it was one of those programs that was popular before it was popular to put everything on the internet. "

The most common and the one I know was the .22 program, there were other programs with different badges but I don't trust my memory on them.

First was a bronze pro-marksman with a round medallion, than a silver marksman , still round, than a first class bar on that, then a gold sharpshooter - than 7-9 bars on that, then distigushed marksman - don't remember/never saw one. Besides being round not shield shape they all said 'junior' on them. They have been gone quite a while and your guess about the internet is likely right - a good side branch for the CAP collector perhaps. I still have my two and I use to have a little NRA book that described all of them.

Hawk200

Quote from: rdmcii on March 05, 2010, 04:53:19 PM
heres one!
http://cgi.ebay.com/NRA-Natl-Rifle-Assoc-Jr-Div-Sharpshooter-Badge-Medal-%5C_W0QQitemZ190370801460QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100206?IMSfp=TL100206012017r2151

and yes compared to pro marksman,it's gold
Apparently the program was stepped using bronze, silver, and gold. The example I saw was the exact same badge, but in silver. I had asked the cadet about the events, he told me that there were pistol matches as well. At the time, I didn't really know much about the programs themselves, I just knew of the insignia because it was in the manual.

rdmcii

Obviously the simple solution to all this would be for the chairman have the NCAC suggest to the NEC that they review and approve current NRA badges.

Even if you do read your CAPM 39-1 it is easy to understand why you might be confused, I was when I posted to the knowledgebase. A long extinct badge IS authorized, it is an easy jump to assume that they MEANT the current badges.

The silver badge that you saw would have said 'marksman' on the top bar but in all other respects the same

lordmonar

Let's replace it with a simple ribbon.  Looks neater IMHO.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: lordmonar on March 05, 2010, 06:32:42 PM
Let's replace it with a simple ribbon.  Looks neater IMHO.

Ditto.

I'd much rather a CAP marksmanship ribbon Could set it up Navy/CG style with basic ribbon for marksman, S and E... instead of just expert like with the SAEMR.  You can use the NRA courses of fire as they exist today, but I would stipulate that it must be a CAP activity to qualify for the award.
Mike Johnston

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Considering the flaming hoops you need to jump thru to get real firearms training via CAP, I'd say treat it like the Community Service Ribbon

lordmonar

Quote from: MIKE on March 05, 2010, 06:35:06 PMbut I would stipulate that it must be a CAP activity to qualify for the award.

What would constitute a CAP activitiy?

The NRA holds a youth class once a month.  It is open to anyone.  We drive our cadets there.....is that a CAP activity?

If a cadet from a neighboring unit goes there as well....does that constitute a CAP activity?

No....I think we should just leave it alone....if you get a marksmanship award from the NRA then you get the ribbon.

;)CAP should develope its own marksmanship program.  Then I would agree with you. ;)

MIKE

My beef with it is if you go off the NRA requirements the only course of fire that is proctored is DE.  Everything else you can shoot in your backyard with an air rifle.
Mike Johnston

lordmonar

Quote from: MIKE on March 05, 2010, 11:22:31 PM
My beef with it is if you go off the NRA requirements the only course of fire that is proctored is DE.  Everything else you can shoot in your backyard with an air rifle.
I don't think so.

You still need an NRA range master.

The DE is more proctored then the rest....but our Spaatz is more protored then the rest of our acheivments....but we don't say the Eaker is not proctored.

Zen Master Charlie

Nearly half of the cadets in my squadron have earned one of the Jr Marksmanship medals. I got mine about 2 years ago.

Here is my thinking on this one: Every cadet in my squadron who wears one of these medals has received it, and a certificate approved by the local NRA instructors. Because the NRA instructors approved it, and CAPM 39-1 permites it, then we can wear it right! Because CAP does not specify this issue, It should solely be up to the NRA, and not a CAP problem until the regulations are changed. Because it is allowed, its not a CAP issue, its a NRA issue, and they need to communicate with CAP to resolve it. But in the mean time, until this is resolved between both organizations, I believe if the NRA awards them, properly meeting their standards for their program, then CAP should be allowed to wear them, in accordance with CURRENT CAP regulations. ;)
"A lot of life is a lot of crap"

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I run the junior rifle program for my club and have given out all of the awards up to Expert. I'm currently tracking one shooter for the DE award. I would accept a certificate from an other program and allow someone to continue from there.

Yes, a cadet could order the certificate for anything up to Expert from the NRA (and pay shipping on it that made Vanguard look good) and get any one to sign it. If you think your cadets would act like that, one medal on the blues is not problem 1.

a2capt

We're about to have a weekend bivouac that features NRA training for units in our group.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: C/Caldwell on March 06, 2010, 05:36:23 AM
Nearly half of the cadets in my squadron have earned one of the Jr Marksmanship medals. I got mine about 2 years ago.

Here is my thinking on this one: Every cadet in my squadron who wears one of these medals has received it, and a certificate approved by the local NRA instructors. Because the NRA instructors approved it, and CAPM 39-1 permites it, then we can wear it right! Because CAP does not specify this issue, It should solely be up to the NRA, and not a CAP problem until the regulations are changed. Because it is allowed, its not a CAP issue, its a NRA issue, and they need to communicate with CAP to resolve it. But in the mean time, until this is resolved between both organizations, I believe if the NRA awards them, properly meeting their standards for their program, then CAP should be allowed to wear them, in accordance with CURRENT CAP regulations. ;)

So if the program that was listed doesn't exist but something similar exists it's ok to bend the regs?

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on March 07, 2010, 06:18:15 AM
Quote from: C/Caldwell on March 06, 2010, 05:36:23 AM

So if the program that was listed doesn't exist but something similar exists it's ok to bend the regs?

I am saying, if the NRA instructors awarded it within their restrictions, then there is no problem. My point being, NRA instructors are still running this program, and awarding cadets with the certificate and medal... therefor it is not a CAP problem, its an NRA problem. I said absolutley nothing about "bending the regs" I dont know why you are choosing to 'bend my words' on all of the comments I make... POINT: IF THE NRA AWRDS IT, YOU CAN WEAR IT (ACCORDING TO OUR REGS) AND AS FAR AS I HAVE SEEN, WHETHER THE PROGRAM STILL EXISTS OR NOT, THEY ARE STILL AWARDING IT! Therefore, any cadet who has ben presented this medal BY AN NRA INSTRUCTOR can wear it. until our CAP regs change
"A lot of life is a lot of crap"

Eclipse

^ The regulations specify particular badges from a particular program, if that specific program no longer exists, then whatever badges are being awarded are not authorized for wear until such time as the powers that be (PTB®) reevaluate the situation and change the regs.

This is no different than the issues of there being any number of military badges and decorations that other services authorize, but the USAF does not allow, and therefore are not allowed on CAP uniforms, either.

We don't make things up, or assume "The 'old x' is the 'new y' just because it fits our needs.

In this case it is clear that anyone who entered CAP after the NRA changed the program could not earn the badge as intended and therefore there is nothing to wear.

"That Others May Zoom"

Fuzzy

C/Capt. The problem is the NRA Marksmanship award that the NRA instructors are qualifying Cadets for, is not the same thing you and I are reading in the regs, dude.

Like others have said. The regulation is unfortunately for the Junior Marksmanship Award, which was phased out by the NRA. The NRA replaced it with the current Marksmanship Award (Note: Not Junior), and now they award that.

So essentially the Regulation is saying you can wear an outdated award. Not the Marksmanship Award both you and I earned.

That is why it is bending the regs to wear the award on your uniform. Nobody is claiming you did not fairly earn it. The issue is wearing it on the uniform dude.
C/Capt Semko

Major Carrales

Ah...a "clear" grey area.  This is why you cannot simply "throw regs" at people.  I would make the claim that the "junior" in Junior Marksmanship actually means that it was earned by a minor and that the subsequent award is really the same as the prior.

If even 25% of CAP personnel believe it, then it gets worn.  This sort of thing needs to be more clear in the next rewrite.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Quote from: Major Carrales on March 07, 2010, 11:06:43 PM
Ah...a "clear" grey area.  This is why you cannot simply "throw regs" at people.  I would make the claim that the "junior" in Junior Marksmanship actually means that it was earned by a minor and that the subsequent award is really the same as the prior.

If even 25% of CAP personnel believe it, then it gets worn.  This sort of thing needs to be more clear in the next rewrite.

"Junior" is the first word in the name of the program, anything else is a stretch...

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on March 07, 2010, 11:15:04 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on March 07, 2010, 11:06:43 PM

"Junior" is the first word in the name of the program, anything else is a stretch...

And a stretch, of any kind, is all you need to prove my point!!!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

rdmcii

Major Carrales,

I may have been one of the guys wondering if the present CAPM 39-1 meant something just as you suggested, rather than just take that leap, my original question to knowledgebase asked just that (it appears to be re-worded or a composite question as answered). The knowledge base answer says CAPM 39-1 says what it means and means what it says. I understand very well how their was uncertainty, but now their frankly is no uncertainty, no grey area

I wore the 'real' jr metal as a cadet, have an NRA instructor in my unit, have cadets that would love to wear the metal, and see other cadets wearing them, so this pains me as much as anyone

lordmonar

The thing is....until I got a notice from NHQ a couple of weeks ago about this.....I did not even question it.  I assumed that the NRA badge issued by the NRA Organisation that my cadets were particpating it WAS the badge that 39-1 was talking about.

As has been mentioned before....the NRA changed their program some years ago.....I assumed (yes I know how that is spelled) the NHQ was aware and just accepted the new NRA badges as the right ones.

Now....what do I do?  Tell the 20 or so cadets who are wearing it that they got to take it off?

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on March 08, 2010, 10:53:41 PM
Now....what do I do?  Tell the 20 or so cadets who are wearing it that they got to take it off?

Yep.

I had to do the same with a unit that had never earned a unit citation.  Buy them pizza.  Pizza solves all problems.

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

Quote from: Eclipse on March 08, 2010, 10:55:21 PM

Yep.

I had to do the same with a unit that had never earned a unit citation.  Buy them pizza.  Pizza solves all problems.

+1 but better make it a meat lovers......
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

a2capt

Turn it into something positive. Make it the theme for the evening, go over the regs., awards, and work it in and then perhaps wrap it up with something that can earn them the right badge? (or did this thread establish that it's not available .. or something)

* a2capt better get the reg. out and look, we have a weekend of this coming up next month, too. We never even talked about badges anyway, just NRA certificates.

lordmonar

The "right badge" does not exist anymore.  The JNRA marksman program got turned into the Winchester/NRA marksman program with not distinction between ages. 

Ned

OK, let's take care of this the right way.

It appears that the NRA badge permitted for wear on the cadet uniform has been OBE (Overtaken By Events) and is no longer a part of the NRA program.

I can carry the water for the regulation change, but I need some help.  I am not an NRA instructor, nor am I particularly familiar with their current marksmanship programs.

So let's make CAPTalk an Agent for Change on this:

Let's collectively do the research and decide what the reg ought to permit, and write up the suggested change.  It doesn't have to be a work of art.  Once we agree on what should work, I will take it to the Uniform Committee/NB/NEC/whoever and get 'er done.

Ground rules:

1.  The goal is to find one or more badges that can be reasonably earned by a Phase I or II cadet using an approved and verifiable NRA program.

2.  We will need to specify exactly which badge(s) can be worn.

3.  We should identify a process to allow for a change when/if the NRA changes their programs.  (So we don't wind up like we are now.)

Who will help?

Ned Lee
Lt Col, CAP
National Cadet Advisor

davidsinn

Quote from: Ned on March 09, 2010, 01:34:01 AM

It appears that the NRA badge permitted for wear on the cadet uniform has been OBE (Overtaken By Events) and is no longer a part of the NRA program.

I can carry the water for the regulation change, but I need some help.  I am not an NRA instructor, nor am I particularly familiar with their current marksmanship programs.

Let's collectively do the research and decide what the reg ought to permit, and write up the suggested change.  It doesn't have to be a work of art.  Once we agree on what should work, I will take it to the Uniform Committee/NB/NEC/whoever and get 'er done.

Ground rules:

1.  The goal is to find one or more badges that can be reasonably earned by a Phase I or II cadet using an approved and verifiable NRA program.

3.  We should identify a process to allow for a change when/if the NRA changes their programs.  (So we don't wind up like we are now.)

Who will help?

Ned Lee
Lt Col, CAP
National Cadet Advisor

Can we open it up for seniors too? Some of us old guys like to put lead down range too. Nineteen inch gong at 500 yds with .223. Three inch swinger with 9mm Mak at 25 yds standing. ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Fuzzy

Theoretically the process shouldn't be very difficult to transfer. As far as I know there are three levels of the current marksmanship program. Bronze, silver and gold. Each with a respective name.

Currently it would appear units are allowing all three of the medals (not at once thankfully) and basically wait for the shooter to meet the NRA requirements and for the instructor to hand the unit the NRA forms.

So the burden of the program is almost entirely on the NRA currently. The Squadron just holds on the forms and monitors.

If were going to look into the theoretical here. I think it would look better if CAP just designed its own badge or probably simpler a ribbon for marksmanship. The NRA badge looks out of place on our uniform, and looks plain gaudy.

Work out something specifically with the NRA so that we have some sort of agreement with them. We set up the award, they set up the requirements. Requirements can probably just be transferred almost entirely from the current marksmanship program.  This way were not just piggybacking entirely off someone Else's award, so they won't just change the program without a phone call.

C/Capt Semko

a2capt

Well.. we've got an operation plan approved by CAWG, tomorrow night we'll probably iron out a date for the event. It's the Basic NRA certificate and will be marketed towards cadets from CAWG Gr. 7.. and is designed around the MOU with the NRA.

We could.. take copious notes and use them as a basis for this, too..

It's got Senior involvement and participation as well.

cap235629

Marksmanship training was opened up for seniors some time in the last couple of years.  I will find the appropriate documentation and post/link it here
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

CAPOfficer

Quote from: Ned on March 09, 2010, 01:34:01 AM

Ground rules:

Who will help?

Ned Lee
Lt Col, CAP
National Cadet Advisor

Wouldn't it be simpler to just delete the word "junior" out of the terminology in CAPM 39-1, Table 6-2, item 11, to read, "National Rifle Association Marksmanship Badge (Earned in accordance with NRA program.) (Cadets only)", than to attempt to reinvent a new program?  After all, the old program was not made for CAP specifically, but for a certain age group of youth in general.

An NRA marksmanship program already exist and is being utilized by our members, it is just identified by a different name.  How does the old saying go, "A rose is a rose..."

Further, I may be incorrect, but it has always been an NRA program, controlled and conducted by NRA instructors.  I do not see how CAP can or would even be willing to become involved with the management of the program; it belongs to the NRA.  The only part that involves CAP is the authorization of the NRA Medals on the CAP uniform.

The only additional change I would suggest is to restrict it to "rifle" only (no pistol or shotgun badges).

Anyway, that is my opinion.

cap235629

Quote from: CAPOfficer on March 09, 2010, 05:03:18 AM

The only additional change I would suggest is to restrict it to "rifle" only (no pistol or shotgun badges).

Why? All of our armed services use all 3 of the weapons systems mentioned.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

fquinonez

Quote from: cap235629 on March 09, 2010, 05:28:33 AM
Quote from: CAPOfficer on March 09, 2010, 05:03:18 AM

Why? All of our armed services use all 3 of the weapons systems mentioned.

All of our armed services may employ all 3 weapons systems, but not all service members qualify with all 3 platforms.  Not only that, but following your logic, I should be able to qualify with a Howitzer since that is what I fired in the Corps.

As far as why rifle only, the rifle is a great teaching platform for a younger and smaller cadet.  NRA has a great .22LR program, and it can lead to NCAA & USOC smallbore shooting programs and scholarships.  Our goal wit the cadet program should be to teach and develope leadership and encourage our young men and women to continue to strive for greatness.  If they want to shoot other toys, that is mom & dad's job & responsibility, not Civil Air Patrols.

As an added note to the above, we should remember that marksmanship in the CAP Cadet Program is relatively new.  When I was a cadet we were not allowed because we are a benevolent program.  Let's not blow it by pushing too hard.

Hawk200

Quote from: fquinonez on March 09, 2010, 06:02:12 AMNot only that, but following your logic, I should be able to qualify with a Howitzer since that is what I fired in the Corps.
It's not the same logic. His logic is that rifles, pistols, and shotguns are all used in the military, therefore a marksmanship program should cover it all. For that matter, all those items are readily available in the civilian world as well.

He didn't say a [darn] thing about howitzers, and the only person that tried to twist the logic was you.

Quote from: fquinonez on March 09, 2010, 06:02:12 AMAs far as why rifle only, the rifle is a great teaching platform for a younger and smaller cadet.  NRA has a great .22LR program, and it can lead to NCAA & USOC smallbore shooting programs and scholarships.  Our goal wit the cadet program should be to teach and develope leadership and encourage our young men and women to continue to strive for greatness.  If they want to shoot other toys, that is mom & dad's job & responsibility, not Civil Air Patrols.
Any weapon is a teaching platform. All have common aspects.

Quote from: fquinonez on March 09, 2010, 06:02:12 AMAs an added note to the above, we should remember that marksmanship in the CAP Cadet Program is relatively new.  When I was a cadet we were not allowed because we are a benevolent program.  Let's not blow it by pushing too hard.
There's no marksmanship training in CAP now. Yes, I know, cadets can go shoot, but there aren't any CAP instructors for it. We don't do any of the actual training, we just have attending bodies.

fquinonez

Marksmanship in CAP is new, in that it is an allowed event per regulations.  In the past, it was not allowed unless it was military familiarization firing.  Allowing today's cadets to participate in firearms training under specific qualified supervision is spelled out specifically in the 52-16.  In the past it was a specific restriction.

Ned

Quote from: fquinonez on March 09, 2010, 06:43:44 PM
Marksmanship in CAP is new, in that it is an allowed event per regulations.  In the past, it was not allowed unless it was military familiarization firing.  Allowing today's cadets to participate in firearms training under specific qualified supervision is spelled out specifically in the 52-16.  In the past it was a specific restriction.

Just a matter of perspective, I guess.

Cadets have been participating in marksmanship training, most of it optional, since the cadet program was created during WWII.

Cadets have been able to earn the NRA badges for at least 40 years.

You are certainly correct that the 52-16 was revised to allow a broader range of qualified instructors to present the training.  (And that was a Good Thing.)

But wings like Washington have conducted numerous Marksmenship Encampments specifically devoted to training cadets in the safe handling of firearms and marksmenship for years and years.

It just depends on local leadership and squadron interest.

Ned Lee
Former Cadet & Old Guy

pierson777

About seven years ago, I asked CAP knowledgebase this same question about the NRA badges, but it was never answered.  I then email my question to CAP membership services, and they responded that the the current NRA badges were okay for our cadets.  I responded that CAP needed to fix the reg to support what I was being told by membership services.  I was worried that cadets who earned a badge would be challenged if they wore it...and now this new knowledgebase answer contradicts what I was told.  I saved a hardcopy of the email from membership services to support wearing the badge in case anyone challenged the cadets fro wearing them.  Unfortunately, another senior member wanted to use my continuity binder for marksmanship training, and I haven't seen it (or the email hardcopy) in over two years.  Bummer.