Main Menu

GES question

Started by wallport10, June 17, 2005, 05:34:43 AM

wallport10

I am 116, 117 and SET qualified. What exactly are SET responsiblities.

Pace

If you wish to get involved with CAP Emergency Services, I highly recommend CAPR 60-3.  Nearly any ES question you have can be answered there, including your SET question.  The NHQ ES page is also extremely helpful:
http://level2.cap.gov/visitors/programs/operations/emergency_services/emergency_services_curriculum.cfm

To answer your question, SET qualifies you to sign off task completion on Specialty Qualification Training Records (SQTRs) for ratings which you have earned.  For example, if a member is trained in a particular task required for ground team member level 3 and wants credit for it, they must demonstrate the requirements for that task as listed in the task guide.  When they show me that they possess that capability, I will sign them off on their SQTR for that task because I am 1) GTM3 rated, 2) SET rated, and 3) approved to be a skills evaluator.  Some wings also require you to be certified/registered with wing after you earn your SET rating before you are authorized to act as an evaluator.

Also, CAPT 116 is the GES/ICS 100 test and is required (along with Level 1 completion) to earn your GES rating and obtain a 101 card (your basic ES card).  CAPT 117 is the continuing education exam which comes in three parts.  Each one is required before you can obtain certain type ratings.  Part 1 is for ground team type ratings.  Part 2 is for aircrew and aircraft type ratings.  Part 3 is for mission base and mission base staff ratings.  Once you have your 101 card, you can start training for other ratings such as mission radio operator, ground team member level 3, flight line marshaller, mission scanner (although a course is required for scanner/observer), and mission staff assistant.  Without other ratings besides GES, SET doesn't really do you much good.

Good luck in your training, and if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Daniel
Lt Col, CAP

Cadet Bonnett

i am also 117 and 116 qualified but what  are the duties, only been qualified for 2 weeks. Can someone help.
Cadet Bonnett
Cadet A1C Christin Bonnett
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

El Campamento del Ala de NH aquí yo vengo.

Pylon

Quote from: Cheergirl on June 20, 2005, 08:24:15 PM
i am also 117 and 116 qualified but what  are the duties, only been qualified for 2 weeks. Can someone help.
Cadet Bonnett

the CAP Tests 116 and 117 do not inherently qualify you for anything.  The CAPT 116 is for your General Emergency Services qualification test.   Sucessfully passing both parts 1 and 2 of the CAPT 116 in accordance with regulations earns you the "GES" rating.  Earning your basic GES rating qualifies you to participate in missions, but not do much else.

The CAPT 117 tests are partial requirements for certain specialty ratings.  For example, as an Aircrew member, you would need to take the appropriate Part CAPT 117.  Just by passing the Part 1, 2, and or 3 of the CAPT 117 doesn't by itself earn you any rating.  However, it is one more checked off item towards earning more ratings or qualifications in Emergency Services.  Make sense?  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP