Survivor story. The other side of the coin.

Started by Walkman, March 12, 2012, 05:00:45 PM

Walkman

The keynote speakers at MIWG Conference this past weekend were the two lost hikers we found in August 2011. They were hiking the coast of the Upper Peninsula. The two had brought a video camera along and we got to see a 20-minute film that documented how they got lost and what they did, with them breaking in here and there to explain what they were thinking and doing. It was one of the most interesting presentations I've been to.

Some insights I picked up on from their perspective:
• The mind is powerful, both for good and bad.
   GOOD: Over the course of their ordeal, they kept a good attitude with lots of humor. They said the camera became a coping mechanism for keeping a healthy outlook. Seeing the terrain where they were, it would have be easy to panic and we know what happens then. They also KNEW they would be found and were very patient once they stopped and made camp. "If they don't find us today, I'm sure they will on Wednesday or Thursday"
   BAD: Once they got off the right trail, they kept pushing through into worse terrain. It seems they were in the mindset of "the lake is going to be just over this rise, or just after this grove of trees" They could have stopped much sooner. Another officer from my squadron who is a nationally ranked orienteering racer commented that he's gotten off track in a race before and it's very easy to fall into that kind of thinking.

• A little knowledge of the area can be dangerous. Looking at a map of the UP, they decided to hike the coastline of Lake Superior. In their minds. I'm sure they were picturing mostly beaches and open terrain, plus it would be hard to get lost (just keep the water on the left). It wasn't long before they realized the coastline is densely packed with trees or had dangerous rocks at the water's edge. They got into several spots where they couldn't go any further and that was the first step into trouble. They also didn't know that while there are trails and roads marked on the map, there are also lots of old logging roads and spurs that aren't. That's how they got off the main trail.

• Swamps are dangerous. 'Nuff said.

• Being "mostly prepared" can get you by. Their plan was to spend several days hiking the area, so they had packs, tents, water & food, something to start a fire. They didn't pack a knife, but found one on a beach which helped them to cut firewood for their signal fire. They didn't have everything an experienced GTM1 would have, but they had enough to survive.

• Signal fires work. They eventually stopped in the first small clearing they found in the dense forest. There was still a lot of tree cover though. They were smart and built a very smoky fire. He said at times they were forced to stay in the tent as the smoke was so thick. The scanner spotted the little bits of smoke in the tree and that's how they were found.

Here's another cool part of the story, they were found by the least experienced aircrew in the Wing. The pilot had been a qual'd MP for 6 days, and I believe it was the scanner's first real sortie. The part of the video where they filmed our plane circling and celebrated being found was especially moving.

The Wing CC presented the couple with certificates of appreciation. He said he's been in CAP for a long time and as an IC, he's had to make many phone calls to families and report negative results. Calling their families was the best phone call in his CAP career.

Then he also gave them scholarships to attend Michigan's SAR academy this summer.   8)

Our ops tempo for missing persons in Michigan is pretty low. However, seeing these two alive and well was an emotional reminder that even if all we do is train for years, one of these days there will be a real person in need and we're the ones who can help.

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

FlyTiger77

Quote from: Walkman on March 12, 2012, 05:00:45 PM
However, seeing these two alive and well was an emotional reminder that even if all we do is train for years, one of these days there will be a real person in need and we're the ones who can help.

Well said.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

♠SARKID♠

Very cool!  Is there any chance that you could get a copy of their video?

We were packing up to come help you guys in the search, but we got the call that you had found them before we left.

Майор Хаткевич

I bet the plane circling footage was the best part for all involved.

Walkman

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on March 12, 2012, 05:49:06 PM
Very cool!  Is there any chance that you could get a copy of their video?

I'll ask. I think I heard someone say the video was already online somewhere. I'll check into it an post a link.

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on March 12, 2012, 05:49:06 PM
We were packing up to come help you guys in the search, but we got the call that you had found them before we left.

I missed it as well. I'm about 9 hours away and when I got the call the only CAP van in the area was already an hour north of me and I would have still needed to get enough gear/food to self-sufficient for three days. REALLY bummed I missed it.

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 12, 2012, 08:01:45 PM
I bet the plane circling footage was the best part for all involved.

Indeed!

LTC Don

Wow.  Very cool stuff.  This presentation needs to be made available nationally, if possible for ES presentations to the membership, and outside audiences.  Would love to see the video.   :clap:
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

N Harmon

I was one of the GTLs who participated in this mission. The search area, Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula, is one of the most rugged in our state. And my experiences here challenged many of the assumptions we make about CAP operations; among them our reliance on cellular phones (of which there is almost zero coverage on the south side of the Peninsula), our tendency to not expect to carry 72 hour gear an extended distance (some of our search area was only expected to be reachable by a day's hike on foot), and CAP's perceived lack of need for all-terrain vehicles.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Walkman

Quote from: N Harmon on March 15, 2012, 07:31:25 PM
I was one of the GTLs who participated in this mission. The search area, Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula, is one of the most rugged in our state. And my experiences here challenged many of the assumptions we make about CAP operations; among them our reliance on cellular phones (of which there is almost zero coverage on the south side of the Peninsula), our tendency to not expect to carry 72 hour gear an extended distance (some of our search area was only expected to be reachable by a day's hike on foot), and CAP's perceived lack of need for all-terrain vehicles.

Were you at Wing conference? I was hoping to run into some of MIWGs CAPTalkers there.

N Harmon

Quote from: Walkman on March 15, 2012, 07:37:01 PM
Were you at Wing conference? I was hoping to run into some of MIWGs CAPTalkers there.

I was not able to make it to the conference. I really wish I would have been able to see the presentation as it sounds like it was very informative.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

♠SARKID♠

Walkman