Encampment at Scott AFB

Started by xray328, June 17, 2019, 09:17:31 PM

jeders

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 19, 2019, 08:24:58 PM
Quote from: jeders on June 19, 2019, 08:14:10 PM
Quote from: xray328 on June 19, 2019, 04:44:15 PM
They advertise it as a summer leadership seminar vs an encampment anyway.

AFJROTC Summer Leadership Seminar is their equivalent to encampment. In fact, CAP cadets who complete AFJROTC SLS are eligible for encampment credit.

But not the ribbon

Correct.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

xray328

Having just relocated to Marseilles I'm not sure how interested (if at all) the summer encampment folks are in relocating again.  And of course that's assuming they'd even have us.  This SLS course might be enough for one year for the folks that host it (as in they wouldn't want us there).  The activity could also already be at capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSG Mac

Quote from: xray328 on June 19, 2019, 08:29:36 PM
Having just relocated to Marseilles I'm not sure how interested (if at all) the summer encampment folks are in relocating again.  And of course that's assuming they'd even have us.  This SLS course might be enough for one year for the folks that host it (as in they wouldn't want us there).  The activity could also already be at capacity.

But they don't get the Encampment Ribbon.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Jester

Quote from: xray328 on June 19, 2019, 08:29:36 PM

That's the vibe I got from the base commander. 

For a relatively small base, Scott is insanely busy with AMC HQ, TRANSCOM HQ, AF Reserve and ANG, an active duty mission, etc.

abdsp51

Which goes back to my original post of the base may not be able to support it.

Toad1168

We still have plenty of room at the Missouri Wing encampment.  Its only a short drive down 44 to Fort Leonard Wood.  20-27 July, but registration closes 30 June.  http://ctg.mowgcap.us/
Toad

xray328

Quote from: Toad1168 on June 20, 2019, 01:59:52 PM
We still have plenty of room at the Missouri Wing encampment.  Its only a short drive down 44 to Fort Leonard Wood.  20-27 July, but registration closes 30 June.  http://ctg.mowgcap.us/

That defeats the purpose, again an Army post.  The point was to try to get the cadets to an Air Force installation. ILWG has plenty of room at its summer encampment.

GroundHawg

I have been to multiple encampments over the years, and all except 91 at WPAFB have been on Army installations.  Ft. Knox, Ft. Campbell, Camp Atterbury, and WHFRTC.  Ironically, I never went to an encampment at the base I was stationed at when on active duty. I loved my time at Army based CAP encampments  and they were very gracious hosts. They loved having us there and went out of their way to accommodate us. We had Kiowa and Blackhawk orientation flights, rode in tanks and had a competition in the tank simulators, went down the rappel towers, qualified on the ranges, pathfinder and sling-load operations classes, had Blackhats run PT with us, got to watch JTACs call in A-10's on the ranges (why I went that route when I enlisted actually), toured the base fire houses and put out fires in full turnout gear, went to the Patton Museum, and tons of other things that we really wouldn't have ever experienced on an AF base. I dont think one is necessarily better than the other, just different.

TheSkyHornet

WPAFB is pretty good for Encampment, considering the activities there are to do in addition to just room inspections and drill: museum tour, security forces, base honor guard, etc.

The issue we have with WPAFB is that we don't have on-post housing. We have to use the nearby Wright State University dormitories, which is a logistical challenge (transporting cadets to and from post by bus multiple times a day), and it's very costly.

The Encampment cost for OHWG this year is $265, which isn't cheap.

tribalelder

ILWG encampment was at Scott in 1966 and at now-gone Chanute  in 1968. Illinois held a Spring encampment for many years at Great Lakes Naval Training Center. Illinois held summer encampments at Alpena (1969 or 1970) Ft. McCoy(at least a ten year run) and Marseilles. It's all about where facilities are available.

WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on June 20, 2019, 06:21:03 PM

This is what I don't get. Why does Encampment get rated on a scale of cheapness? Who says it has to be cheap?

I just checked a Boy Scout registration website for Ohio. It came in at $315. That's a $50 difference. And...adults get a break in costs for staffing the camps (possibly from Scout registrations subsidizing their own staffing costs, but I don't know. But their is nothing evil in that).

So, BSA in one Ohio Council alone has 7 camps, with people gladly paying $315. Meanwhile, CAP will always show angst when the fee "...isn't cheap."  What could CAP do with an extra $50 (or even $30, $20) per head? Probably a lot, but it takes a leap and good budgeting to find out.

I just don't get it.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on June 25, 2019, 12:04:35 AM

This is what I don't get. Why does Encampment get rated on a scale of cheapness? Who says it has to be cheap?

I just checked a Boy Scout registration website for Ohio. It came in at $315. That's a $50 difference. And...adults get a break in costs for staffing the camps (possibly from Scout registrations subsidizing their own staffing costs, but I don't know. But their is nothing evil in that).

So, BSA in one Ohio Council alone has 7 camps, with people gladly paying $315. Meanwhile, CAP will always show angst when the fee "...isn't cheap."  What could CAP do with an extra $50 (or even $30, $20) per head? Probably a lot, but it takes a leap and good budgeting to find out.

I just don't get it.

Encampment does cost just $265. It costs well beyond that. $265 is just the registration fee alone.

For a first year cadet to attend Encampment:
$40 membership fee
$265 Encampment fee
$633 for uniform items off the Encampment packing list (I subtracted $100 for the Curry voucher)
*Excludes optional items (poncho, camelbak, etc), PT wear, bedding, and hygiene/personal care items

This is the cost for a brand-new parent with zero guidance on shopping around getting mostly everything off Vanguard (CAP's official uniform supplier). Excludes shipping costs.

That's nearing $950 someone might incur, say, if they get their Curry 30 days before Encampment begins. Our last Great Start ran from March through May. In a 90-day period, that's what a parent may have spent.

Castiel

In my Squadron 2 new cadets just joined a few weeks ago, and Encampment is this week. So.... not a lot of time.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on June 25, 2019, 01:43:22 AM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on June 25, 2019, 12:04:35 AM

I just don't get it.

Encampment does cost just $265. It costs well beyond that. $265 is just the registration fee alone.

For a first year cadet to attend Encampment:
$40 membership fee
$265 Encampment fee
$633 for uniform items off the Encampment packing list (I subtracted $100 for the Curry voucher)
*Excludes optional items (poncho, camelbak, etc), PT wear, bedding, and hygiene/personal care items

This is the cost for a brand-new parent with zero guidance on shopping around getting mostly everything off Vanguard (CAP's official uniform supplier). Excludes shipping costs.

That's nearing $950 someone might incur, say, if they get their Curry 30 days before Encampment begins. Our last Great Start ran from March through May. In a 90-day period, that's what a parent may have spent.

and...the Boy Scouts aren't showing up at their camp naked, either. They also have other expenses besides camp registration fees.

I don't know how relevant it is to cite what a parent "...may have spent." There are others who "...may have spent" less. In fact, there are some who "...may have spent" quite little, depending on ability to get uniforms issued/loaned.

At any rate, my point is that CAP has been chasing low costs and trembling in fear of "too expensive" for at least as long as I go back (1967) while other youth programs budget and save where they can, but ultimately charge what it costs without apologizing for it - and people show up.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

TheSkyHornet

That's a fair point. I yield.

I'll say, it's definitely better to discuss this stuff up front before applications are even turned in than to blast them with a supply list 30 days out and get bombarded by parents who start shouting "But I already just paid (x-amount)!"

I had a parent who came up to me a few weeks ago asking about signing up his cadet (didn't matter that Encampment was already closed for registration and additional sign-ups would be waitlisted)...anyway...dad said that the cadet didn't have all of the required items on the packing list and didn't really want to spend the cash in such a tight timeframe. I fully understand. Okay, so don't go to Encampment right now. Go next year, or maybe go to one later in the year and just pick up odds and ends over a few months rather than all at once. Not the end of the world.

One thing that we're blessed with at our unit is an awesome parents booster that helps raise a lot of funds which go to cutting activity costs. We've ran nearly two...three?...years now without cadets having to pay anything at squadron activities. For Encampment, we're covering $125 this year per cadet, which is nearly half the cost. We could probably afford to cover all of it, but then we're eating into the budget for other activities that all squadron cadets can participate in.

Costs can always be offset by fundraising. You just have to know where to get the money.

Castiel