Main Menu

Find A Squadron

Started by etodd, February 04, 2019, 12:43:38 AM

etodd

Does this work for anyone:

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/cap-unit-locator

Someone asking about finding a Squadron in PA, and I can't send them here, and the PA Wing page doesn't have a list, it defaults back to the national broken page.

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

etodd

Nevermind.  Boxed popped up asking if I would accept cookies ... then it worked.

No need for cookies. Who designed that?  Nevermind again.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

MacGruff

I had the same problem and same solution. Sigh.

jaglvr

NIN

Quote from: etodd on February 04, 2019, 12:49:08 AM
Nevermind.  Boxed popped up asking if I would accept cookies ... then it worked.

You can thank the global kneejerk reaction to GDPR.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

chuckmilam

GDPR.  Shudder.  I did 8 hours of CPE training on that last year.  Ugh.  So much "Which Article Number States....blah blah blah?"

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on February 05, 2019, 12:58:26 AM
Quote from: etodd on February 04, 2019, 12:49:08 AM

You can thank the global kneejerk reaction to GDPR.

Which of course is critical for a website and organization which has no presence, or care about whether the EU likes it or not.

"2. This Regulation applies to the processing of personal data of data subjects who are in the Union by a controller or processor not established in the Union..."

A Venti says GDPR and PCI, are both touted as value-adds of Site-Viz at some point (probably ISO, Six Sigma, and HIPPA too).

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

We do have over seas units within the EU
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: MSG Mac on February 06, 2019, 03:36:35 AM

Restricted to US service members, not the general public, so who cares if the GDPR likes it or doesn't?

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on February 06, 2019, 03:41:41 AM

Restricted to US service members, not the general public, so who cares if the GDPR likes it or doesn't?

US Service Members and their Dependents. And EU laws do apply unless the Status of Forces Agreements (SOFA) say different.

Spaceman3750

I promise you that the company we buy the locator service from has more customers than CAP.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on February 06, 2019, 04:20:40 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on February 06, 2019, 03:41:41 AM

US Service Members and their Dependents. And EU laws do apply unless the Status of Forces Agreements (SOFA) say different.

Where does a given SOFA intersect the GDPR in respect to a US website?

This is like a scope discussion with a PCI vendor "Well, at the end of the day it's all in scope because you wouldn't want to be caught out, right?"

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 06, 2019, 04:24:08 AM
I promise you that the company we buy the locator service from has more customers than CAP.

And it should have the ability to distinguish between applicable and non-applicable,
at least based on geo-location when it's provided.

But of course "why risk it?" is always the mantra, especially if there's a revenue stream attached.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

FWIW there's a pretty significant discussion / disagreement about the enforceability of the GDPR in the US
for purely US entities with no business in the EU.

It is also, on the whole, as many of these things are, a spectacular and functionally useless waste of time.

One might as well start enforcing the Apple User Agreements as to the attention most people pay it, or would ever care.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on February 06, 2019, 04:27:56 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 06, 2019, 04:24:08 AM

And it should have the ability to distinguish between applicable and non-applicable,
at least based on geo-location when it's provided.

But of course "why risk it?" is always the mantra, especially if there's a revenue stream attached.

You would think, but that requires additional programmer hours, and in the vein of "why risk it", there are some pretty serious financial implications for even accidental non-compliance.

The internet used to be a fun place. Then big data came along and ruined it for everyone.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 06, 2019, 04:35:14 AM
The internet used to be a fun place. Then big data came along and ruined it for everyone.

Yep.  This is just the next cash-cow for consultants.

ISO, Six Sigma, Y2K, SAR-BOX, HIPPA, PCI, GDPR, it's all just the latest con$ultant cycle of $ecurity and quality theater.

They run a 3-5ish year cycle until they run out of new clients and then the herd moves onto the next shiny pretend.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Asked and answered (a long time ago).
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on February 06, 2019, 04:26:34 AM
This is like a scope discussion with a PCI vendor "Well, at the end of the day it's all in scope because you wouldn't want to be caught out, right?"

Bingo.. "Why risk it, right? {insert dire doom & gloom predictions and vague possible fines here}

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.