Honor Guard Drill Confusion

Started by CAP428, January 07, 2007, 02:52:06 AM

CAP428

Hey, I was reading through the Honor Guard drill instructions in CAPP 52-8, and I found something that was a bit confusing.  ???  It deals with the movement from Port Arms to Right Shoulder Arms:

5.8.10. Right Shoulder Arms from Port Arms. This is a three-count movement. The command is Right
Shoulder, ARMS.
5.8.10.1. On the command of execution, ARMS, remove the right hand from the small of the stock and
grip the heel of the butt-plate between the first two fingers of your right hand (count 1).
5.8.10.2. Place the non-operating parade rifle on the shoulder and guide it up without changing the grip
on the butt. After the non-operating parade rifle is at a 45-degree angle to the ground and the right
forearm is parallel to the ground, take the left hand, with fingers and thumb tightly together, and position
it smartly at the rear of the receiver (count 2).
5.8.10.3. Cut the left hand smartly to the side, as at attention (count 3).

If I'm reading this right, then following these instructions exactly as they appear would result in the rifle resting "sideways" on my shoulder, with the bolt facing to my right and the trigger side facing to my left.

In other words, these instructions never tell you to rotate the rifle 90 degrees like they do in some of the other command instructions.

So, is this the correct way?  or is it a mistake and you rotate the rifle so the bolt would rest on your shoulder and the trigger face outward?

Thanks.

Tim Medeiros

It does appear that there was an inadvertant omission, after you grasp the butt of the rifle and before placing it on your shoulder you should smartly rotate the butt of the rifle counter-clockwise 90 degrees so that the sling is facing you.  The actual movement feels like your trying to snap your fingers, but with a rifle between them, from there you continue on with count 2
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811