What grade insignia do I need?

Started by vandy, May 27, 2005, 05:15:11 AM

vandy

Hello. I'm in the process of buying my uniform, and I'm unclear on grade insignia for those of us coming in as specialty members. My understanding is that chaplains start as 1LT or Captain, I'm not sure which. Also, I've heard that once we join we need to wear no grade until everything is officially processed for the chaplaincy. Is this correct?

pixelwonk

Since I don't know your level of Divinity education, I can't tell you what you'd come in as.  just hold off until you know because I'd bet your squadron would have the grade insignia anyway.  For now, you will wear CAP cutouts on your collar.

vandy

Hi Tedda,
I have a masters, and I'm in a doctoral program now. I'm fully endorsed. I'm just doing a uniform order, and need to know.

pixelwonk

Quote from: vandy on May 27, 2005, 06:42:49 AM
Hi Tedda,
I have a masters, and I'm in a doctoral program now. I'm fully endorsed. I'm just doing a uniform order, and need to know.

Quote from: CAPR: 35-5
a. Chaplains. Concurrent with appointment as chaplain in CAP, chaplains may be appointed to the grade of first lieutenant. Requirements for appointment as CAP chaplains are outlined in CAPR 265-1, The CAP Chaplain Program.

vandy

Hi Tedda,
Thanks. But, this one says CPT: level2.cap.gov/documents/u_082503131431.pdf

I don't know which it is.

Major_Chuck

Chaplain appointments and promotions actually follow a different process.  Check with your Wing Chaplain for the details would be my suggestion.

-Chuck
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

pixelwonk

Quote from: Major_Chuck on May 27, 2005, 02:48:50 PM
Chaplain appointments and promotions actually follow a different process. Check with your Wing Chaplain for the details would be my suggestion.

-Chuck

yeah, what he said

BillB

You might hold off on Rank insignia. The NEC just approved a change in the Reg when initial appointment with a Masters is Capt. and with a doctorate as a Major.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Pylon

According to CAPP265-4, CAP Chaplaincy Handbook, the promotion to 1st Lt or Capt. depends on what requirements the Chaplain meets when he or she joins CAP.

Quote from: CAPP 265-4When clergy receive appointment as CAP chaplains, they become members of individual units. They receive the grade of FIRST LIEUTENANT if they are appointed on waiver of seminary education, or CAPTAIN if they meet all requirements. CAP Regulation 35-5, CAP Officer and Noncommissioned Officer Appointments and Promotions, gives all the details.

Hope that clears it up a bit more.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

jacklumanog

Quote from: BillB on May 27, 2005, 06:38:05 PM
You might hold off on Rank insignia. The NEC just approved a change in the Reg when initial appointment with a Masters is Capt. and with a doctorate as a Major.

Hello!  I'm a newly-appointed chaplain with a Master's & Doctor of Ministry degree and I just received the grade of Captain.  Where is the regulation about coming in as Major with a doctorate?
Ch, Lt Col Jon I. Lumanog, CAP
Special Assistant to the National Chief of Chaplains for Diversity of Ministry